Thread: Position of Guru (blind faith)

Red Face Position of Guru (blind faith)

Namaste,

I'm trying to figure out the position of the guru. I learned that the guru is a representative of God, but does that mean that he has equal position to God?
    If a guru makes statements on "worldly" issues, does one also have to obey these statements blindly? What's the position of personal conscience in relationship to the guru?

Re: Position of Guru (blind faith)

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

the post may be of help:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3377

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Namaste,

I'm trying to figure out the position of the guru. I learned that the guru is a representative of God, but does that mean that he has equal position to God?
    If a guru makes statements on "worldly" issues, does one also have to obey these statements blindly? What's the position of personal conscience in relationship to the guru?
    Guru's vyākhyā is varied depending who you ask, anyone who gives you knowledge is a guru. is Guru as good as God? yes if you believe this sloka, Guru Brahma, Guru Vishnu, GuruDevo Maheshvara Guru saksat Para Brahma tasme Shree Guru vai Namah.

Does this mean anyone who calls them Guru is a true guru?

If you made someone a Guru then one has to live by those maxim.
    tad viddhi pranipatena
    pariprasnena sevaya

upadeksyanti te jnanam

jnaninas tattva-darsinah

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth.

Guru does not say anything contrary to Shastra, remember even Lord Krishna does not force you to do anything.
    iti te jnanam akhyatam
    guhyad guhyataram maya

vimrsyaitad asesena

yathecchasi tatha kuru

Thus I have explained to you the most confidential of all knowledge. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.

Nothing is blind to follow that is why there are shastra, it a delicate situation, a Guru is who removes the ignorance if we are satisfy we follow a Guru, give full attention there, render service and ask questions submissively.

Sradha and Vishvas faith and trust goes hand in hand.

Guru Sadhu and Shastra speaks the same language

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

Vannakkam Cosinuskurve: This really depends on the Guru, the lineage, and the closeness of the particular Guru/sishya relationship. I think the worst situation is the blind leading the blind, and the best to be an authentic Guru teaching only dharmic concepts. So, as with a lot of things, there is great variety. Perhaps you could be more specific with the question.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 09 October 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Namaste,

The Guru as a Guru is no different from the Ishta. The Guru as a person is just another person - he may have his good and not so good qualities. The trick is in clearly being able to separate these two aspects - the relationship and the person. Hero worship is not the aim of taking a Guru (though it has become one in India), nor are Gurus (well almost all) super humans. Also, there need not be one person as your guru - like a bee one should be able to taste the nectar from as many flowers he/she desires and capable of.

This is one acceptable (and shastra sanctioned) way of looking into the role.

Others will have more rigorous standards for Guru's and want them to be literal super humans or "self realized" personalities. I have seen such hero worship only leads to misery and is never required. If we are lucky to find a Krishna or Vashistha as our Guru's we must be more than lucky - and as such is likely to never happen. It is however to possible to have Krishna acting through another person (Guru), and doesn't need the person to be Krishna like in reality. (as an example).

This doesn't mean that one should accept anyone as his/her Guru - certain basic human standards are to be met like honesty, non-attachment, knowledgeable, non-greedy etc etc...basically the good virtues that makes human aspire for divine.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Cosinuskurve ji, Yes guru has equal position to God, Infact Guru is more than God for a Student.

But firstly there is need to understand "Who is our guru"

Generally people choose their guru by using their own mind-power, Such person which are choosed by using our own mind-power -- can never be true Guru.

Now the question is: How is it possible to not use "Mind" while searching any guru ? Answer is: Prayer, Pray: O god you are everywhere listning me -- so please introduce me any Guru.

That's all.

_/\_Jasdir.

"Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Namaste Cosin,

Guru is not different from God. However, while accepting a Guru, one must be careful and look for a Guru who is Self-realised. It is God alone who acts as Guru through Guru's body and mind. The qualities that one must seek in a Guru is described in Guru Gita written by Ved Vyas.

You may like to read this thread :

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...highlight=Guru

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

What is blindness?

Namaste,

Namasté Cosinuskurve,

I would venture that your perception of the word guru is somewhat occluded by your current dharma.

Your Guru, if you are lucky to find one with whom you resonate, is your teacher. We are blinded by mAyA until truth is revealed to us; a moving target. We remember the emotion that That truth provokes, building our own understanding upon that firm emotional foundation. This is just as valid for Maths and Science as it is for knowledge of our spirit and true nature. The nature of God.

As you evolve spiritually, your sense of the interpretation of the desires of others will sharpen; you will learn the art of empathy and trust. Until this time you are not ready for a Guru. You may be attracted to idol worship but this is not the same thing; not the same vibrational relationship.

I hope that this makes some sense to you, forgive me if not.

This may help ...

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 08 October 2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: To add a link.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We are the spark (visphuliṅgaḥ ) , guru is the flame. We are the wave, guru is the ocean. Guru is brahmaniṣṭha ( absorbed in brahman).

He lives and embibes the śāstra-s as the śrotriya ( learned in veda or knowledge); we are the śiṣya ( student).

He is śruti-pāram-gataḥ - gone to or resides (gataḥ) + farther than , beyond (pāram) + that which is heard or communicated (śruti).

It is this kind of person that can thoroughly teach; others do the best the they can.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

in school and college we differentiate among teachers ( guru). some teachers are very good in teaching the subject matter which we never miss , some are quite ok and some are there we try to avoid. the spiritual guru also should be categorized you have to choose a very good guru who will show you the easiest and proper method of reaching target . in spiritual subject you have to have blind faith to some extent because this is not math. this depends on your sradhya, biswas and bhakti. reasoning ,knowledge ,analysis will not help you rather distract your mind and every efforts go in vain. so it is pure luck to find a very good guru. it is said that one pure bhakta can be seen out of crores of devotees.

Thread Information