Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange experience during japa dhyan

Question Strange experience during japa dhyan

hello dear members

i would like to know about something that i have been experiencing for few days while sitting in meditation. i do japa dhyan and have been observing for few days that my heart is beating faster than normal everytime i am in meditation . it happens after i am already 15/20 minutes in meditation. it has been only 3/4 days since i started noticing it and it might be happening for long and could be possible that i didn't pay attention to it before or may be it was not this intense before ?! (is that possible?)

also yesterday when my heart beating got faster i felt that my neck lightly lost its control while my head started moving gently back and forth on its own . i came to know of it only after few seconds because fast heart beating had already caught my attention so i didn't feel the movement of my head instantly . after i realised what was happening i deliberately tried to control the movement by holding my neck by stretching my neck muscles but the moment i let lose my head started moving again though not with same intensity as it was before . also it was gently moving back and forth and i feel had i not interfered the movement would have become faster ... has anybody got an idea what it could be ?! and what to do if it happens again ?

your inputs will be greatly appreciated .

thanks so much
    livena

Re: Strange experience during japa dhyan

Please seek a guru before starting on Japas. Your description seems like a scene from a horror flick - may be your nerves are not used to the concentration on sound and reacting funnily.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste Livena,

Are you focusing on pranayama during your meditation? There are many different exercises that you can do, of course with the most simple being basic diaphragmatic breathing. This may have something to do with your problems, or maybe not.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by livena View Post
    hello dear members

i would like to know about something that i have been experiencing for few days while sitting in meditation. i do japa dhyan and have been observing for few days that my heart is beating faster than normal everytime i am in meditation . it happens after i am already 15/20 minutes in meditation. it has been only 3/4 days since i started noticing it and it might be happening for long and could be possible that i didn't pay attention to it before or may be it was not this intense before ?! (is that possible?)

also yesterday when my heart beating got faster i felt that my neck lightly lost its control while my head started moving gently back and forth on its own . i came to know of it only after few seconds because fast heart beating had already caught my attention so i didn't feel the movement of my head instantly . after i realised what was happening i deliberately tried to control the movement by holding my neck by stretching my neck muscles but the moment i let lose my head started moving again though not with same intensity as it was before . also it was gently moving back and forth and i feel had i not interfered the movement would have become faster ... has anybody got an idea what it could be ?! and what to do if it happens again ?

your inputs will be greatly appreciated .

thanks so much
    livena
    I agree with SM78. There is definitely something wrong with your methodology. You should seek the advice of a Guru.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

if it was whole body moving forth n back i would have said you were hitting deep concentration point like when you do when you are immersed in reading/ studying. atleast used to happen to me as a student.

if its just the neck, may be check out on your posture.

I had my heart rate do this many years ago. It was aggravating my heart condition which caused some really strange accelerations. I did post about it here-
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ght=heart+rate

The above suggestions were very wonderful and wise. I will say, if this would continue, I would definitely go to my regular doctor and have your heart checked. It may be nothing, many times it is the case. But, my own experience was the rare occasion when my condition had become worse and I was ignoring it.

So better safe than as I was, very sorry. I leave you with a hug, because your experience sounds very frightening.<3

hello dear members

thank you so much for your inputs and the concerns you have shown towards me .
    the experience i have written about(movement of head) only happened once and increased breath happened 3/4 times and stopped happening after that .
    though i would like to mention that i was not scared at all because i have had few experiences in the past which i never imagined i would ever experience. during those experiences i would lose sense of my physical body and go in trance . and i have not been doing japa for very long . i started doing it just few months ago and meditation started even recently. i was going through a very disturbing phase of my life and i thought everything was going to end for me, also nobody could guide me out of it . then someone saw my horoscope and suggested me to do the mantra and to my surprise then became even worse after i started doing the same. but i continued and develop a strange affinity for it . i would recite it all the times no matter what i was doing . and things started changing in my life. everything started falling in place for me . people who were very bad towards me in the past started becoming cooperative , things started getting sorted ,people started telling me that they have realized their mistakes , my worries started fading away and what not . i was in such pain for many many years and things had worsened over time. i don't know what saved me but honestly i am a changed person today . not that i am happy to see changes around me and thinking that oh everything is settled now so i should relax .... i am a changed person because the way i understood things before has changed . i feel i am changed because i litrelly feel that i am born again . and i feel so blessed so so blessed that i got this opportunity in this life time to get to know something that love the most in this life.

things/situations are taking me away from mundane life and regular thinking towards spiritualism. every single day i end up meeting people of similar nature or bump into something that points towards spiritual way of living . the only feeling that brings me restlessness today is i have to start afresh and i feel of me as an infant who needs guidance in taking her first steps so she can learn how to walk on this path .

i have written all this just to raise one point that if i have been doing something wrong i wouldn't be able to witness so much of positivity that it has brought into my life , would i be ?! and "MAA" guides me in every single step i take. i have experienced her in my "trance state" in a way that i haven't read about anywhere or heard of as people's experiences .

to be honest i do nothing but japa and i just lose myself at times completely . it has brought much bliss to my ever wandering and restless mind. my concern for posting this request was i don't have a guru who could guide me through it . so i thought i must ask people here and they might guide me well. to be honest i was thinking that everyone is going to reply that it is nothing and i should continue doing japa without losing my concentration for worldly/physical existence. but you guys got me concerned ,a little though -

you guys are into it for so so long and i stand nowhere around . and i don't think i was doing it religiously to cause situations to turn around because i was highly disturbed . i used to wander like an aimless soul in mind and body and couldn't sleep for days on end . but the only thing that has changed tremendously for me is my love for HER . she is always present around me that's how i feel . all this makes me believe that i am not doing anything wrong (though you guys know better than me) .

i don't do pranayam or any yogic exercise to be honest but have recently got inclined to start doing it but haven't yet . it never happened again but i am curious to know your opinions for what i should be doing instead in case you noticed anything strange in the way i have been proceeding . i am not doing anything besides my japa . also these days i am feeling restless again as my "inability" to find ground underneath and start walking is taking over me and keeps me anxious and dull at the same time. it is during this phase only that i noticed what i had mentioned in my query .

it would be kind and helpful if you guys provide your inputs regarding what i explained ....... !!

many thanks for sharing your thoughts with me .

regards
    livena

Namaste Livena,

i don't do pranayam or any yogic exercise to be honest but have recently got inclined to start doing it but haven't yet . it never happened again but i am curious to know your opinions for what i should be doing instead in case you noticed anything strange in the way i have been proceeding . i am not doing anything besides my japa . also these days i am feeling restless again as my "inability" to find ground underneath and start walking is taking over me and keeps me anxious and dull at the same time. it is during this phase only that i noticed what i had mentioned in my query .
    Well it certainly sounds like you have been doing something right if you've been experiencing such effects. Such positive things often happen after people take up japa.

Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with your rising heart beat and/or neck, but I would recommend incorporating diaphragmatic breathing into your meditation. It is the most basic form of pranayama, and it really helps with meditation as it helps settle the mind and provide a good energy flow for the body. Best wishes.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste livena,

i do japa dhyan and have been observing for few days that my heart is beating faster than normal everytime i am in meditation . it happens after i am already 15/20 minutes in meditation. it has been only 3/4 days since i started noticing it and it might be happening for long and could be possible that i didn't pay attention to it before or may be it was not this intense before ?! (is that possible?)
    also yesterday when my heart beating got faster i felt that my neck lightly lost its control while my head started moving gently back and forth on its own .
    There are a few things which will help you if you are doing meditation. For Japa, there is nothing so particular ... you can do it in your most comfortable position. For meditation or Dhyaana :

a) It is advisable that you do some regular yogic exercises to keep yourself physically fit for the yoga. You can choose some Aasans & do it regularly.

b) It is advisable to do some PrANAyams. If you don't know any, then do at least this simple one before you start meditation :

1. Say prayer to the deity of your choice to help in you meditation. Sit in any comfortable Aasan. However, it is advisable to sit erect keeping your spine vertical, head steady, chest out and palms resting gently on the lap.
    2. Keep your eyes focussed between your eye-brows or at the tip of the nose or concentrate on the point where your breath touches your nostrils. Keeping your eye gaze between the eye-brows will stop you from falling down.
    3. Slowly breathe in counting slowly from 1 to 20 (mentally and not actually).
    4. Holding the breath inside and count again from 1 to 20 with the same pace as you did in step 3.
    5. Slowly count from 1 to 20 and breathe out.
    6. The steps from 3 to 5 makes it one round of PrANAyAm. Do it six times.
    7. Now you can start your meditation with a small prayer.

===> The PrANAyAm and meditation are advisable to be done under some Guru. If you have no Guru, please accept your chosen deity as Guru and ask him/her to help you.
    c) The Meditation must be done with as little discomfort and as little force as possible. It should be like your normal position in which you can continue for hours together without much difficulty.
    d) If you force yourself into meditation, it may increase your heart-beat, imo. Normally, it should lower your heart beat if you are doing it correctly. In fact, when you are advanced in meditation, your breathing and heart-beat should come to standstill. But that is a very advanced stage ... so let's not ever try to do it.

Note : Please remember, any sort of PrANAyAm must be done with very very soft attitude and with lot of patience. PrANaYAm is the technique of controlling your breath. ... And we should always remember Yogi's statement that "Controlling breath is like controlling wild tiger or a wild horse. They kill the trainer if the trainer is impatient or is in a hurry".

e) When practitioner gets some steadiness in maintaining its focus in meditation, there is a chance that the body/head of the practitioner would tilt to one side unknowingly and there is also a chance to fall down from the Aasan. This is normal. However, it calls for having a good Aasan to choose for being able to maintain balance during meditation and also that the Aasan should not be too high from the ground to avoid any injury to the practitioner if he falls down while doing meditation.

Therefore, your heart-beat will be normal or slower than normal if you do it correctly. The head going back & forth is unexpected & that may be because you are letting it happen unconsciously due to some reasons, imho. Do it with perfect discipline & it should not happen.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

I would also strongly suggest that you see a medical doctor.
    MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS ~

Thread Information