Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey

Re: Honey

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste Ramkrishna ji,

Honey is very good for sleep, if we take one cup of milk with one spoon of honey, we get good sleep. Honey is good pacifier.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurahill View Post
    Drinking milk added with honey is good for health.
    Honey has antioxidants,antibacterial and antimicrobial agents.
    Honey helps to prevent hair loss,weight loss acne.
    Indeed, I've been making a drink of one cup milk slightly heated with some cardamom and cinnamon and then a teaspoon of honey added at the end. Very soothing as well as healthy.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste Ramkrishna ji,

Honey is very good for sleep, if we take one cup of milk with one spoon of honey, we get good sleep. Honey is good pacifier.
    NAMASTE AmIHindu

Is it better for sleep to drink the milk with honey cold or heated?

kind regards
    Arjunesh
    AUM

Namaste

I am very happy this thread was “revived”, since it was started before I became a member of HDF and had never read it – I am a HUGE fan of honey! Have you ever eaten a honey comb? My goodness, wonderful! And now I learn from this thread that honey is good for you, which makes it all the better.

Not far from where I live, locals have a “Farmers Market” where they bring their own vegies, nuts, fruits and yes HONEY which they raised themselves and sell the items to the public from small stands. There are actually locals here who have boxes in which bees live and they local people gather the honey which ranges from a light yellow to a dark brown in colour.

Saraswati Maa likes honey, and accepts it as a puja offering. Of course, Murti can be bathed in milk and honey. Perhaps that is where the term “land of milk and honey” comes from? (who knows – the land of India?).
    I would think if you have a Lord Balaram Murti, you could offer Him honey and He will take it.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namasté,

Awwww, I saw the word "Honey" as a topic and thought that someone was looking for me!

I love honey too. Most of the stores here carry local raw honey, and each year there is a "honey show" that brings together local beekeepers. They sell honey and related products directly to the public, and educate everyone about what the bees and their keepers are up to. I look forward to it every year!

ShivaFan, besides the deities you mentioned, I was also told that one could donate honey, with prayers to the Aśvins, to invoke their healing energy (as well as give a wonderful gift, of course).

From what I remember of Ayurveda teaching, one should not cook honey directly (and especially not boil it), as heating will destroy some of the beneficial elements in the honey and make it more productive of toxins (ama). It's best to add it to hot liquids or foods.

Thank you for reviving this thread. My favourite healing drink uses honey, and it would be so warming and soothing right now. I'm going to go make some. You can too, if you like.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjunī View Post
    Awwww, I saw the word "Honey" as a topic and thought that someone was looking for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Have you ever eaten a honey comb?
    Isn't it all wax from bee secretions?

I got curious about the fact that bees might be making the honey entirely for their own consumption during the lean winter months when there are no flowers in bloom for fresh nectar, (and us harming them by stealing their food). However my fears were allayed by the information at the following link,

http://www.beeman.ca/id18.html

Pranam.

PS, A factoid from the above link: 12 honeybees spend their lifetimes collecting/making a mere total of one teaspoon of honey - stolen fruits of 12 lifetimes of effort of little insects goes into one cup of warm milk for human consumption! That is making me feel so guilty.
    -
    Last edited by Believer; 15 March 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Namaste Believer

This is an interesting web link, thanks for sharing it. Bees here in California were on the decline due to some disease, but I see they are making a come back. This is the Honey Bee. I know Balaram loves bees. There are some farms here that make some sort of honey drink that is like beer, but I don't drink that!

Om Namah Sivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Honey (madhu¹ - sweet , delicious , pleasant , charming , delightful ) from an āyurvedic¹ POV is not to be heated , so goes the instruction from the vadiya ( āyurvedic doctor). Also, milk is to be heated to just a boil then turned off; it is then it holds all of its benefical properties, again so says the vadiya.

iti śiva

words

āyurved - contains eight departments:
    • śalya or (removal of) any substance which has entered the body
    • śālākya or cure of diseases of the eye or ear by śalākās or sharp instruments ;
    • kāya-cikitsā or cure of diseases affecting the whole body ;
    • bhūtavidyā or treatment of mental diseases supposed to be produced by demoniacal influence ;
    • kaumāra-bhṛtya or treatment of children ; 6. agada-tantra or doctrine of antidotes ;
    • rāsāyana-tantra or doctrine of elixirs ;
    • vājīkaraṇa tantra or doctrine of aphrodisiacs
    We know there are 6 tastes:
    • madhura or sweet
    • amla or sour
    • lavaṇa or salty
    • kaṭuka or pungent
    • tikta ,or bitter
    • kaṣāya or astringent
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.

Thread Information