Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 year old Marathon Runner - Fauja Singh

100 year old Marathon Runner - Fauja Singh

Re: 100 year old Marathon Runner - Fauja Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Vannakkam: Just amazing! Most people couldn't do it, period. I honestly think I could .... over like 4 days ... walking. With Boss beating me from behind with a stick.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Unbelievable task he has accomplished. At this age, many people have difficulty even for simple walking but he run marathon alllllllll the way.

8 hours, 25 minutes, 16 seconds of running at the age of 100 and he was not the last to finish.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Namaste.

It's not easy physically, but it's more mentally challenging. Most healthy people can train their bodies to run that distance (or at least stay on their feet), but training your mind to conquer the fear and misgivings is really what it's about. I ran the 1998 Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. It was my one and only marathon. It was tough, and my time was awful, but I had a blast of a good time.

A marathon is said to consist of two races... the first 20 miles and the last 6.2. Which is harder? Why, the first 20. The last 6.2 miles are a piece of cake once you pass the 20 miles. During the last mile of the race, up and around the hill to the Iwo Jima monument, I ran faster than I did in the previous 25 miles. It's a head game.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    8 hours, 25 minutes, 16 seconds of running at the age of 100 and he was not the last to finish.
    People way younger than him have even higher finishing times. But it's not the finish time that matters, it's that you finished and ran, or walked, or hobbled, or limped across the finish line and got that finisher's medal hung around your neck.

May be an urban legend:

Two guys were in last place and next to last place in a marathon. Nevertheless, they were both cocky and arrogant. The next to last guy called back to the last place guy "hey, how does it feel to finish last?" The guy in last place yelled back "why don't you tell me?" as he dropped out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Most people couldn't do it, period.
    Most people would be content with being alive at 100, and be able to stand up unassisted.

namaste,
    Wow! I am really impressed. I really admire anyone with the ability to run.
    I can't even run a block and I am not even 40 yet. Apparently my lungs work on a 50% capacity and I have never smoked in my life. There is something wrong with this picture. let me blame this on karma.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    There is something wrong with this picture. let me blame this on karma.
    Oh stop it!

Really, if you want to run, you do a walk, walk, walk, jog, walk, walk, jog... as you are able to jog a little longer, you decrease your walking time. Keep doing that, however long it takes, until your running/jogging periods are longer than your walking. Eventually you work your way to running the whole distance.

The first system to respond to training is the cardiovascular system, then the musculoskeletal system. That's why beginning exercisers get hurt. It takes the muscles, tendons and ligaments a while to catch up with your new stamina, so beginners tend to overdo it.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to run again because of my back surgery (3 micro-discectomies and residual nerve compression), but I'd like to try. I'd encourage anyone to give it a try. Btw, it takes about 6 weeks for a routine to become a habit, or second nature.

So lace up those Asics, New Balances or Nikes, and Just Do It!

Namaste,
    Satay, at 48 I get to run whenever I want to. I say this humbly. What a blessing. 18 mos. ago, you would have beat me around your block with what you posted. You would have then had to come back and help me. I think your Dharma would have compelled you to help this poor soul.

This gentleman at 100 is awe inspiring. If you check out his times after his beloved wife passed over when he was a spry beginner in his 80s, it is unreal. Unreal. I bow down to him and to the Divine in him. I apologize about my excitment over this but between our Beloved and just recently reading a book about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico, kind of psyched for a number of reasons.

I have the book in electronic format if anyone is interested. It is called Born To Run. I am really tech. ignorant, so think if I send to you with p.c. will not be able to read. Have to download from p.c. to a e-reader type of thing and then able to read.

OM Shanti

FFTW
    Last edited by Friend from the West; 31 October 2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Misspelled the one word wish I would not have.

namaste,
    I really admire people who can run. I will take touchedbylord's advice and start doing this possibly next summer. I can walk for miles and miles but running, out of question.
    Please send me the e-book at karmic_hindu@yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    satay

Thread Information