Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 year old Marathon Runner - Fauja Singh

Re: 100 year old Marathon Runner - Fauja Singh

Vannakkam: I was around track for a long time. An acquaintance who looks nothing at all like a runner has done the Boston marathon some 7 times. The physical body often doesn't show it's wear and tear. We make false assumptions based on appearance. An old boss of mine donated $500 bucks to charity once because of this.

My cousin was a regular at the Boss's bar. Cousin had a penchant for beer, but besides his belly showing for it, the rest of him was in pretty decent shape. So Boss sponsored him in a skate-a-thon fundraiser at a local ice rink, thinking, "This fat lug won't go 10 laps in an hour." so he pledged a buck a lap. Cousin Fred skated 500 laps.

I find it difficult to believe that at 100 this guy can do it. My knees are shot now, at 58. Fortunately I can still walk, and still prostrate at the temple. But some are blessed with bodies that remain fit for very long times. I've read that the body is meant to last until its 120. Following dharma properly might get you that.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om

Namaste everyone,

Thank you for original post, Believer. I was athelete in totally different activites than running. I started running which have not aptitude for and this is perfect. Due to this in part, think running has been perfect for me. I run for many reasons but not performance if you will. No goals of "winning" a race or running a certain time. This time is used for appreciating all that is. This time allowed to worship and even meditate. With all of this, something happened today, that not happened for awhile. I ran further than ever at 48 (48!) Wow, me, me, me.

What happened that not happened for awhile, instead of thinking of many things that are given back in running worship, I was thinking of self. While stretching, with my self congratulatory talk, the great Fauja Singh you shared with us came to mind. Perspective was granted immediately.

Thank you for this.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Hari Om,

Hi. As update to Fauja Singh, he has recently retired. There is biography out, "Turbaned Tornado." Not so long ago he ran a 5K race that was just astonishing. Not just great endurance, but fast as well. Still, just can not believe this gentleman.

Take care,

FFTW

Namaste,

Just an update on this great. I have recently read that they are making a Bollywood movie about his life, based on his autobiography. If learn of a release date will share.

Take good care,

FFTW

Thread Information