Thread: Ghee and Golden Syrup

Ghee and Golden Syrup

Namaste

I've only just started to notice this but, no kidding, all the ghee I've been buying recently smells very reminiscent of golden syrup!

Re: Ghee and Golden Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Namaste

I've only just started to notice this but, no kidding, all the ghee I've been buying recently smells very reminiscent of golden syrup!
    Vannakkam: I wonder what the cows are eating. From my childhood, I know that the cow diet would affect the taste of milk. There was a weed whose colloquial name was stinkweed. When the milk cows got into that vile stuff, it was harder to drink the milk ... much harder.

Of course the same principle is true of honey.

If the golden syrup you speak of is made from corn, then maybe the cow diet is corn. Sounds rather corny, but sometimes there actually may be scientific explanations to such things.

Regardless, enjoy the ghee.

Aum Namasivaya

I understand that in winter, which the southern hemisphere is coming out of, cows usually eat hay. Perhaps stored corn too. That affects the taste and color of the milk. I will wager that when they start pasture feeding again, the taste and color will change. Of course that presupposes that dairy cows pasture feed. Some family dairy farms in the US pasture feed. California dairy cows do also.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Golden syrup ain't made from corn though, it's made from sugar cane. It has a very distinct scent and ALL my ghee has smelled like it.

Thread Information