Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chanting versus meditation

Re: Chanting versus meditation

Radhanath swami says : Chanting produces best results when we go deeper into chanting. Standing on the shores of the ocean one can’t access the precious gems and jewels on the bed of the ocean; one will be tossed away by the waves. However if we go deeper into the ocean, we can access the pearls. Similarly by chanting superficially or occasionally, we can’t avail the benefits; we’ll be thrown away by the waves of material energy. We need to go deeper in our chanting to reap the fruits of chanting. What does it mean to go deeper?

http://krishnayoga.info/2011/10/radh...ernal-changes/

Namaste,

Thanks for the post.

High points from Swamiji's message are:

".......his emphasis has always been on developing the proper mood for practicing this yoga. The internal mood of being eager to serve is more effective in pleasing the Lord and attracting His grace than being an expert in the practice of chanting Hare Krishna.

....along with essential chanting, a spiritual practitioner lives his or her life centered on sacred principles; humility, tolerance and forgiveness. Radhanath Swami’s formula is to integrate the Hare Krishna meditation with the overall acceptance of spiritual culture - a life centered on integrity and servitude."

Pranam.

PS: If I may add, developing proper mood = sitting comfortably at a quiet place and being single minded when chanting; essentially shutting out mundane thoughts from one's mind/consciousness and being focused on chanting alone with thoughts of Lord Krishna in one's mind. In other words doing chanting as an act of devotion, making an effort to link (yog) with Krishna, and not as a routine physical exercise.

Post Re: Chanting versus meditation

Hare Krishna. Please accept my bumble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and Gauranga!

Actually chanting is meditation. When we chant 16 rounds in the Brahma Muhurta, we are not just chanting. We also hear each and every word of the Maha Mantra and meditate on the transcendental form of Govinda. But the mediatation that so called yogis preach nowadays is selfishness. The tell you to do yoga to become God or get some kind of benefit. They talk about dhyan, concentration, sitting postures but they never ever talk about love or service to Krishna. For them it's always for personal benefit not for service to God. Please take a look at what scriptures says about the Maha Mantra:
    In this age, there is no use in meditation, sacrifice and temple worship. Simply by chanting the holy name of Krishna--Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare--one can achieve perfect self-realization. (Vishnu Purana 6.2.17)
    Kali-santaraṇa Upaniṣad:
    hare kṛṣṇa hare kṛṣṇa kṛṣṇa kṛṣṇa hare hare
    hare rāma hare rāma rāma rāma hare hare
    iti ṣoḍaśakaṁ nāmnāṁ kali-kalmaṣa-nāśanam
    nātaḥ parataropāyaḥ sarva-vedeṣu dṛśyate
    “Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare; Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare—these sixteen names composed of thirty-two syllables are the only means to counteract the evil effects of Kali-yuga. In all the Vedas it is seen that to cross the ocean of nescience there is no alternative to the chanting of the Holy Name.
    Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 12.3.52:
    kṛte yad dhyāyato viṣṇuṁ tretāyāṁ yajato makhaiḥ
    dvāpare paricaryāyāṁ kalau tad dhari-kīrtanāt
    “Whatever result was obtained in Satya-yuga by meditating on Viṣṇu, in Tretā-yuga by performing sacrifices, and in Dvāpara-yuga by serving the Lord’s lotus feet can be obtained in Kali-yuga simply by chanting the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra.
    Nārada-pañcarātra:
    trayo vedaḥ ṣaḍ-aṅgāni chandāṁsi vividhāḥ surāḥ
    sarvaṁ aṣṭākṣarāntaḥsthaṁ yac cānyad api vāṅ-mayam
    sarva-vedānta-sārārthah saṁsārārṇava-tāraṇaḥ
    “The essence of all Vedic knowledge—comprehending the three kinds of Vedic activity [karma-kāṇḍa, jñāna-kāṇḍa and upasāna-kāṇḍa], the chandas, or Vedic hymns, and the processes for satisfying the demigods—is included in the eight syllables Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa. This is the reality of all Vedānta. The chanting of the Holy Name is the only means to cross the ocean of nescience.
    The path to liberation is guaranteed when a person once chants the holy name of Lord Hari. (Skanda Purana)
    Your eternal Servant.

in this Kaliyug,
    the best way to control our mind and guide to the deeper state is

Chanting with pure devotion

this is suitable , easy and best way for us in Kaliyug

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Namaste SriGauranga,

Please be advised that in the past, there has been lots of verbal sparring between high strung ISKCON devotees and others in the forum. Here are the reasons:

1. Srila Praphupad said some very unkind things about many other Acharyas who are revered by many Hindus. These comments were never retracted and are adhered to by people in the upper echelons of the movement, much to the consternation of many Hindus. We generally consider all Acharyas (and sampradayes) to be part of our heritage and don't go about insulting any of them. We just pick the one who resonates with us and go with him
    2. Having that mind set and trying to be a proselytizer by using words like, 'so called yogis....', you essentially insult every guru other than your own. This will cause nothing but bad blood, and you will not get too far with your intended goal.
    3. Gaudiya Vaishvanism works for you, and you may not have known (or have no use for) other paths under the big umbrella called Hinduism. Others may find solace in other sampradayas. Please be aware of and be respectful about that.
    4. Having been associated with ISKCON for 42+ years, I know that the devotees do a cut a paste of what is written in their books without ever adding a word of their own to recap or summarize an idea/concept in their own simple words. This comes across as somebody parroting something without knowing its meaning and reduces the impact of whatever is said.
    5. Youthfulness gives the positive exuberance, which is good. But when it is used to knock holes in dead end walls, you hurt your own fist without making a dent in the wall.

I might be way off base on some or all of my observations. So, if you find any of them to be untrue or offensive, please ignore them and excuse my ignorance.
    Hare Krishna, best wishes and a happy journey on your chosen path.

Pranam
    Last edited by Believer; 07 May 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Vannakkam Believer et al: You deserve points for that. Your post reminded of some years coaching volleyball. By no means was I some great coach, but I had 15 years or so of experience, had a couple of 'levels' of coaching certification. Still I had first year volleyball players come along on the first day and start telling me how they 'played' the game. (More likely to be male, if that means anything.) Usually they found some time 'playing' the game their way while sitting on the bench. Some came around. Others were unable to. Too bad for them because they missed out on something.

Aum Namasivaya

Post Re: Chanting versus meditation

Hare Krishna Believer Prabhu Ji(sorry but don't know your real name). Please accept my humble obeisances.

Thanks you for your reply and stating your concerns. Yes there are devotees who are unkind to people. I don't disagree. But we can't blame the whole ISKCON for this. Actually ISKCON's teachings have nothing to do with being unkind to others. Lord Chaitanya said: A Vaishnava should be humble as grass, and tolerant as tree. He taught us to be kind to others and spread his message to the whole world. He taught us to think that we are inferior to others not superior. But neophyte devotees, when they hear this think that we can behave anyway we like when preaching. So I hope you understand this matter and excuse theses devotees we might act unkind and harsh.

Now you say Srila Prabhupada didn't accept some gurus and sampradayas. Yes that is right. And if you refer to Padma Purana which states:
    sampradāyavihīnā ye mantrāste niṣphalā matāḥ
    ataḥ kalau bhaviśyanti catvāraḥ sampradāyinaḥ
    Śrī-brahmā-rudra-sanakā vaiṣṇavā kṣitipāvanāḥ
    catvāraste kalau bhāvya hyutkale puruṣottamāt
    rāmānujaṃ śrī svicakre madhvācaryaṃ caturmukhaḥ
    śrīviṣṇusvāminaṃ rudro nimbādityaṃ catuḥsanāḥ

All mantras which have been given (to disciples) not in an authorised Sampradāya are fruitless. Therefore, in Kali Yuga, there will be four bona-fide Sampradāyas. Each of them were ignaugurated by Śrī Devī and known as the Śrī Sampradāya, Lord Brahmā and known as the Brahmā Sampradāya,Lord Rudra and known as the Rudra Sampradāya; and the Four Kumāras and known as Sanakādi Sampradāya. Śrī Devī made Rāmānujācārya the head of that lineage. So too Lord Brahmā appointed Madhvācārya, Lord Rudra appointed Viṣṇusvāmī and the four Kumaras chose Nimbāditya (an epithet for Śrī Nimbārkācārya).

Note that Brahma Sampradya is the linage of ISKCON. And Rudra Sampradya doesn't refer to Shaivism. It is another Vaishnava Sampradaya coming from the linage of Lord Shiva.
    So only these 4 Sampradyas are bona fide and their gurus and acaryas. A spiritual master must be in an authorized disciplic succession to be bona fide. It is not possible for someone to be a bona fide spiritual master in a line of spiritual authority that does not come from Krishna. Sometimes pseudo-spiritual masters create a line of philosophy. They have a "vision" or dream in which they imagine that they have become empowered by God, or that they are God, and they should start teaching others. But this is never accepted by the true followers of the Vaishnava tradition. And that is why Srila Prabhupada didn't accept many gurus and sampradayas. By the way, Srila Prabhupada didn't really mean to say unkind stuff about the people. He just wanted to make sure that people don't get mislead by follow bogus gurus and sampradayas. Remember the mother has to chastise her son/daughter to turn into a good human even though it may seem unkind to the son/daughter. So that's what Srila Prabhupada was doing.
    You say that some ISKCON devotees copy and paste from their scripture.
    First of ISKCON didn't write any scripture. All the scriptures like Puranas, Upanishads, Mahabharata was written by Srila Vysadeva about 3000 years ago Secondly, if don't copy paste words of scripture what will you do??? You can't simply make up scriptures with your own "simple words".
    Yes, many Hindus(also in this forum) don't agree with ISKCON. I am well aware of that. But we ISKCON devotees have no purpose except to preach the message of Lord Chaitanya, we don't make an concocted view.

Sri Sri GauraNitai Ki Jay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I have recently come to the practice of Krisna Consciousness. I'm attending a meditation class. My spiritual advisor gave me a mantra and I meditate twice a day for approximately 20 minutes. I have found this very valuable. I am a caregiver for my husband and am limited on time, so I've been chanting the Maha Mantra only once a day using beads, but also chant while I'm walking. I recently read the booklet, "Chant and be Happy." This book seems to indicate that chanting this mantra is all that is needed. And the more often the better! So now I'm wondering if I should continue both practices and try to increase chanting the Maha Mantra as time permits.

Thank you for any enlightenment on this.
    Namaste Mary!
    In the Garga Samhita, it is stated in 1.15.71 that:
    [T]hose who, again and again, chant the Names of Radha*-Krishna attain Lord Krishna directly. What are the four goals of life** for them?
    Therefore, I would say that chanting is the easier path. From chanting Krishna's name, meditation on his glories will easily follow.
    Good luck and happy chanting!

*Radha is Lord Krishna's beloved.
    **The four goals of life are: kama (desire), artha (wealth), dharma (social/religious duty), and moksha (liberation).

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Mary: Although this is not my particular Hindu tradition, and others can most likely give you an answer from this tradition, I think such questions of , "Which is better?" don't have universal answers. Instead the question should be, "Which is better for this individual?"

An analogy might be methods of teaching applied to various learning styles. There is no one correct best way. Sadhana or worship or even sect choice should match the jiva's needs.

Aum Namasivaya

I agree

Even though I am Shaiva now, there weren't moments when I also felt this same love for Lord Vasudeva and also for Lord Rama being the perfect Shiva bhakt and Lord Hannuman, thus his.

The message within the Bhagavad Gita is so powerful, I still apply it to a lot of my beliefs.

When I was 17, in a fervent quest for spiritual knowledge, I joined ISKCON and stayed there for 2 years but never took initiation because I knew it just wasn't 'for me'. I just really liked it there and made many friends.

I would chant the Maha Mantra 108 times after taking my morning bath and doing rounds of the sacred basil tree....before breakfast.

I personally found that I didn't get to finish 108 most of the time. I'd get up to about 50 or so (I don't know how many) and my mind would go into meditation by itself. Having a picture of Lord Krishna in front of me helped too.

This happens to me now whenever I chant the sacred Mahamrityunjaya Mantra even about 10 times.

Chanting Mantras are a great tool to use.

Hare Krishna
    Hare Krishna
    Krishna krishna
    Hare Hare
    Hare Rama
    Hare Rama
    Rama Rama
    Hare Hare

Thread Information