Thread: Hindu Charity

Hindu Charity

Are there any generally accepted rules on giving charity in Hinduism? By charity, I mean both monetary and non-monetary forms. Is there some sort of philosophy behind it? Is it discussed in the scriptures?

Re: Hindu Charity

Vannakkam TO: Most certainly. Here's an example: http://www.a1tamilnadu.com/images/kural.pdf

Scroll down to 221 - 220. Of course there are others.

Some texts prescribe one tenth, or even one sixth, in both time and money.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam TO: Most certainly. Here's an example: http://www.a1tamilnadu.com/images/kural.pdf

Scroll down to 221 - 220. Of course there are others.

Some texts prescribe one tenth, or even one sixth, in both time and money.

Aum Namasivaya
    One sixth? Ouch. Sounds like Peter Singer or something. Where does it say that? (Jews and Christians say one tenth as well... Muslims say one out of forty).

I found this one interesting;

Though men may declare it a good path, gathering gifts is bad.
    Though they decree it denies one heaven, giving gifts is good.
    (222)

What does it mean that gathering gifts denies one heaven? That seems harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkun Olam View Post
    One sixth? Ouch. Sounds like Peter Singer or something. Where does it say that? (Jews and Christians say one tenth as well... Muslims say one out of forty).

I found this one interesting;

Though men may declare it a good path, gathering gifts is bad.
    Though they decree it denies one heaven, giving gifts is good.
    (222)

What does it mean that gathering gifts denies one heaven? That seems harsh.
    Vannakkam: The Tirukkural was written over 2000 years ago, and the word 'heaven' would be from a double translation (one from Old Tamil to modern Tamil, the second from modern Tamil to English, and also most likely a practitioner of Abrahamism) Therefore the term 'heaven' is most likely not accurate. But the gist is pretty clear: Be a giver, not a taker. if I was to translate again, it'd probably be something like 'towards moksha' and 'away from moksha' . I'm not sure where the one sixth came from offhand. I do have a resource (if I can find it) that might say.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The Tirukkural was written over 2000 years ago, and the word 'heaven' would be from a double translation (one from Old Tamil to modern Tamil, the second from modern Tamil to English, and also most likely a practitioner of Abrahamism) Therefore the term 'heaven' is most likely not accurate. But the gist is pretty clear: Be a giver, not a taker. if I was to translate again, it'd probably be something like 'towards moksha' and 'away from moksha' . I'm not sure where the one sixth came from offhand. I do have a resource (if I can find it) that might say.

Aum Namasivaya
    Let's be honest, even 10% is difficult. That's a lot of money (and time). I would say the average person (at least in America) gives about 3-5%. Giving more than 15% would be quite a feat! I don't care how rich you are, that's hard to do.

Even with the poor translation, I don't think I understand the part about "gathering gifts is bad". If you are giving, does not someone else have to gather? If giving is good, isn't gathering good? I would think the point is that some people need some sort of help, so of course they can be "takers". It seems like that would only be a bad thing if you yourself were rich. A poor person shouldn't be embarrassed about receiving charity.

Thread Information