Thread: Bobby Jindal

Bobby Jindal

Namaste,

When we were pummeling Arya Samaj to death in the forum , Bobby Jindal, a coverted Catholic, whose Hindu parents hail from Punjab, India, got reelected as Governor of Louisiana by a wide margin.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/22/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

Pranam.

PS Arya Samaj stands ready to perform shuddhi on him and convert him back to 'their brand of Hinduism", once he is through with political power. .
    Oh calm down, live a little!

Re: Bobby Jindal

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

When we were pummeling Arya Samaj to death in the forum , Bobby Jindal, a coverted Catholic, whose Hindu parents hail from Punjab, India, got reelected as Governor of Louisiana by a wide margin.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/22/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

Pranam.
    Vannakkam Believer: He (and others) really makes me wonder. Was his conversion well thought out from the deeper regions of his heart, or did he convert just to get ahead in the political world? I'd love to sit down with the guy and discuss religion. It kind of reminds me oh how 'hippies' from the 60s cut their hair ("finally!" said the parents) when they got so broke they really needed a job.

Aum Namasivaya

I can't claim to read his mind, but I doubt that any Hindu would ever be elected in America under the Republican banner (there has, however, been a Hindu Democrat elected to Congress). Maybe he saw an opportunity in the Republican party and decided to convert to one of the tamer brands of Christianity in order to be politically viable. Of course he did it in high school, so maybe he can just see that far ahead.

One thing is for certain; it would be pointless to claim him as any sort of victory for Indian Americans. He's gone Catholic and effectively abandoned his Indian culture. Surprisingly he married an Indian, but his own kids will likely be thoroughly European, and there will be nothing Indian about his descendants at all.

Oh well. Sort of a sad story if you ask me.

Vannakkam: Here in Canada there are several Indian MPs (Member of Parliament). But religion here is in the background more than in the US. So unless someone deemed it important and researched it, I really don't know the religions of each. Sikhs are the exception, but only if they are of the traditional turban wearing variety.

Our prime minister is a fundamentalist Christian, and although he doesn't wear it on his sleeve, in some policies it comes through loud and clear (unfortunately, in my opinion).

But here's a link to one of the newest, the first Tamil Sri Lankan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAUT...eature=related

I'm not sure of her faith. Edited to add: She seems pretty much Hindu in this clip (in Tamil) though: Maybe Saidevo or another can listen in a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oe_v...eature=related

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 24 October 2011 at 09:34 AM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Bobby Jindal, a coverted Catholic, whose Hindu parents hail from Punjab, India, got reelected as Governor of Louisiana by a wide margin.
    Mr. Jindal is a well respected man here in the USA, especially in the Republican party. I have listened to him speak ( via TV interviews and the like).

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

well respected
    Vannakkam: As with many subjective terms like this, especially regarding politicians, (but also many others) it all depends on who you're talking to. I find that especially in American politics, (because of the 2 party system somewhat unique in the world) there is greater polarity.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...dals_response/

I remain at a fair distance from it all, although I do have opinions, and exercise the democratic right to vote.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I don't respect the man much at all. He abandoned his culture, heritage, and religion and now pushes many conservative Christian right policies. I suppose the fact remains that he is Indian, but as Sanjaya said, this isn't any sort of "victory" for Indian Americans.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

I don't know how many other Indian Americans are on HDF, but I have to say that I feel we are lacking in terms of leaders and other contributors in the community. Most Indians come here, have kids, and then threaten them with death if they don't become doctors or engineers. Seriously, my dad blew up at me when I told him I wanted to be a astronomer (yes, I'm that rare type that stuck to one major in college). Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a doctor or engineer, but these jobs typically attract people who want to make a lot of money, have a wife and 2.4 kids, own a home, and never interact with the outside world. After Jews, Indian Americans are the most economically advantaged group in the country. So why are there so few of us going into the arts, media, and politics? These are the things that strongly affect American culture, but I see Indian Americans underrepresented. Aside from Christians like Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley, I only know of one Indian politician (and I think he was brought down by some sort of corruption charge).

Now, I will say that I am encouraged by groups like Hindu American Foundation, which is replete with Indians born in America. These individuals are showing that we can contribute to American society, as indeed all Americans should, while retaining a distinctly Hindu, Indian culture. Only problem is that there aren't enough of these people. And that's why we get stuck with the only "Indian" politicians around in fact being Christians. Perhaps we could learn something from the Jewish community. Jews have assimilated into American society quite effectively, yet comprise a community distinct from the rest of America. They've managed to preserve their language and religion pretty well, and yet they dominate all areas of American culture. Indians have the same cultural respect for education, so I don't see why we couldn't duplicate their success.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    I don't know how many other Indian Americans are on HDF, but I have to say that I feel we are lacking in terms of leaders and other contributors in the community. Most Indians come here, have kids, and then threaten them with death if they don't become doctors or engineers. Seriously, my dad blew up at me when I told him I wanted to be a astronomer (yes, I'm that rare type that stuck to one major in college). Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a doctor or engineer, but these jobs typically attract people who want to make a lot of money, have a wife and 2.4 kids, own a home, and never interact with the outside world. After Jews, Indian Americans are the most economically advantaged group in the country. So why are there so few of us going into the arts, media, and politics? These are the things that strongly affect American culture, but I see Indian Americans underrepresented. Aside from Christians like Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley, I only know of one Indian politician (and I think he was brought down by some sort of corruption charge).

Now, I will say that I am encouraged by groups like Hindu American Foundation, which is replete with Indians born in America. These individuals are showing that we can contribute to American society, as indeed all Americans should, while retaining a distinctly Hindu, Indian culture. Only problem is that there aren't enough of these people. And that's why we get stuck with the only "Indian" politicians around in fact being Christians. Perhaps we could learn something from the Jewish community. Jews have assimilated into American society quite effectively, yet comprise a community distinct from the rest of America. They've managed to preserve their language and religion pretty well, and yet they dominate all areas of American culture. Indians have the same cultural respect for education, so I don't see why we couldn't duplicate their success.
    Good suggestions I think, mentioned something similar in another thread - as an alternative to being only focused on money making and getting offended from time to time at misuse of hindu symbols.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    One thing is for certain; it would be pointless to claim him as any sort of victory for Indian Americans. He's gone Catholic and effectively abandoned his Indian culture. Surprisingly he married an Indian, but his own kids will likely be thoroughly European, and there will be nothing Indian about his descendants at all.

Oh well. Sort of a sad story if you ask me.
    A better question to ask would be, "will his kids be accepted by white Christians in America"?
    If they experience racism, then they might ask Hindu organizations like HAF to come to their rescue in the name of "Indian/South Asian unity".
    In that case, we might want to cut our losses and let them fend for themselves. Our resources would be better spent helping other Hindus.

Thread Information