Thread: Being white

Being white

I'll be frank I'm white, male, and interested in Hinduism, so how do I not come off like some hippie?

This is just one of those things I think about.

Re: Being white

Vannakkam Rudy: For starters, relax. Once you attend a particular temple for about 20 times, none of the regulars there will notice skin colour at all. Newcomers will, because its still a bit of an oddity, just as it is in India.

Strangely enough, its the whites I notice here too. If a newcomer comes to the temple, I'll only notice if the poor chap or girl is white. Its a natural mental thing, starting in Sesame Street when we look for the thing that's different. But once it's a regular thing and he or she participates in the same way everyone else does it gets very normal.

Best wishes with it.

Aum Namasivaya

The answer seems almost too simple. Just do not be a hippie.

We are defined by our actions, deeds..and even thoughts. To be kind, be kind...to be considered smart behave smart (which may require a ton of study/learning).

Each day I tell my children this secret, well not so secret...we are who we are and this will be obvious to anyone we come into contact with.

In the end who I am was defined by my behaviours and these very certainly show others I am not just some new agey woman, a religious drifter...or an agent of xtianity sent to secretly harm with conversion.

Please, do not worry about this too much I do understand your position very deeply and understand these worries. Do what you are feeling inclined to do and all the rest will fall in line.

Big hugs<3

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    The answer seems almost too simple. Just do not be a hippie.
    Vannakkam: Wow, did this one hit me! It is so very true. Rudy, when I travel across America and enter temples for the first time, people usually recognise my sampradaya and teachings in me right away. Not that there is immediate respect, but certainly far less looks, especially from the priests or the core people. I was explaining this the other day, as being a bit odd, to my Guru.

He said rather calmly, "Well, let's see ... you're disciplined, you're wearing traditional clothing, you respect the sanctity, you prostrate right away, you stand back ... hmmm ... it would seem rather obvious to me too!"

I think it was the first time I really understood it in this way so well. Just as Naya said, "Don't be a hippy: undisciplined, unclean, saying how cool it all is, asking dumb questions at inappropriate moments, pretending to know it all, and all that stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for the pointers, I'm glad there are people on this forum to give people like me pointers on this stuff.

Eastern Mind: Indian Hindu's don't find it cheesy that a white Hindu guy wheres tradional Indian clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Eastern Mind: Indian Hindu's don't find it cheesy that a white Hindu guy wheres tradional Indian clothes?
    Of course not. After all, I wear white peoples' clothes, and no one thinks I'm cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Vannakkam: In fact I've found the opposite to be true. They're almost embarrassed that they're not. In fact I have been told exactly that. Usually the first initial stare disappears when you sit down shut your eyes, or begin whatever routine is there in that particular temple.

For example, we arrived at the Salt Lake City Utah Ganesha temple at the same time as the priest in his car. He said, "Wow. Finally someone besides me is wearing veshti."

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information