Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year

Happy New Year

Pranam all

Happy new year to those who follow Vikram Samvat 2068.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikram_Samvat

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Re: Happy New Year

Namaste Ganeshprasadji,

Happy NEw Year to you also.

May Shri Ganesh, Shri Laxmi, Shri Saraswati shower you with all blessings !!!! May this coming year be prosperous to you and your family.

Good wishes.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Vannakkam GP and IamHindu: Even though this is the first time I've heard of THIS particular New Year, yes, Happy New Year to the both of you and whomever it concerns.

May the next 12 months be full of prosperity, love, and the Grace of God.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Happy and blessed New Year to those who follow.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Pranam IamHindu, EM, RK

Thanks for the good wishes, Yes EM just like you most Gujarati Hindu would not believe that the rest of Hindus are not celebrating the new year with them. How ever new year or not Vikram savant is well known in lots of other state.

NB. forgot to mention this day is also marked as Govardhan Puja and Anakut, food delicious food on offering, wow! many temples have mountain of food on offering.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 27 October 2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

Happy new year to all our Gujrati HDF members.

As Ganeshji has mentioned, it is also the Govardhan puja day. In Krishna temples (specially ISKCON), they make a replica of the Govardhan Hill with sweets and Halwa, which is then distributed as prasad after the puja. In other temples they just serve a community meal. In some areas of India, craftsmen/artisans/tradesmen take the day off to worship their 'tools of trade' - yantra puja day. So, all construction/manufacturing/gardening etc. work comes to a standstill.

Although we are all Hindus, we do have regional ways of celebrating some of the days in unique ways. The only way to learn about the diversity of India is to reach out and befriend people from other ethnic/linguistic groups; otherwise we tend to project the way things are done in our village/town/city/state as the norm in the whole of India. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In that spirit, I specially urge Gujrati people (sorry to pick on them, but they seem to be the most insulated ones) to find someone from another state of India and learn about their ways.

Pranam.

PS Punjabis celebrate their new year on Baisakhi day (April13/14), as do the Tamils; Bengalis (and perhaps Nepalese, Biharis and Orriyas) on April 15. Many others - Telugu, Maharashtrians, Kannadas and Konkanis also have it around 1st of April, I believe. Makes sense to start the year at harvest time. So what's up with Gujratis? What does their new year's day coincide with? Oh yes, king Vikramaditya defeating some schmuck?
    Last edited by Believer; 27 October 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Although we are all Hindus, we do have regional ways of celebrating some of the days in unique ways. The only way to learn about the diversity of India is to reach out and befriend people from other ethnic/linguistic groups;
    And long it may continue, i would not have it any other way.
    In my travels through out India i had noticed Gujratis are the most traveled people in India as well as the glob.

otherwise we tend to project the way things are done in our village/town/city/state as the norm in the whole of India. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In that spirit, I specially urge Gujrati people (sorry to pick on them, but they seem to be the most insulated ones) to find someone from another state of India and learn about their ways.
    I do not think you know what you are talking about, as said before us Gujratis are the most versatile people from India we go on pilgrimage the most, we are not hangup in our language either although we love it, but we will be ready to speak any language.

PS Punjabis celebrate their new year on Baisakhi day (April13/14), as do the Tamils; Bengalis (and perhaps Nepalese, Biharis and Orriyas) on April 15. Many others - Telugu, Maharashtrians, Kannadas and Konkanis also have it around 1st of April, I believe. Makes sense to start the year at harvest time.
    What make sense to you does not necessarily have to be true to everyone else. Baisakhi is well known as harvest festival, what i have noticed it is only recently the emphasis are placed on its being a new year, there is not much celebration of the new year March-April when you compare it against 1st Jan.

So what's up with Gujratis? What does their new year's day coincide with? Oh yes, king Vikramaditya defeating some schmuck?
    I may as well ask what's up with you, why this hostility? why should you worry what our new year coincide with, if you must know Raja Ram was inaugurated the day after Diwali, Have got problem with Vikram savant?

Jai Shree Krishna

It will be wrong to assume that Vikram Era Calendar is for Gujaratis alone. The Vikram Era Calendar and Saka era calendar are two systems which are well recognised in Indian Calendar systems and it goes beyond the boundaries of any state. In fact, The Vikram Era marks the coronation of King Vikramditya from Ujjain after his victory over the Sakas. Before this calendar Saka era calendar was most popular.

We should not indulge in giving a regional colour to anything and refrain from making sweeping generalisation. Ancient India has been ruled many times as one country by emperors like Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka etc. So, we share many things which are common. If we have adopted Saka calendar and Gujaratis are still working with Vikram Era calendar ... what is wrong about it ? In our Hindu Calendars we normally mention both the dates.

I don't find Believer's comment in good taste.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

My Lord, an innocent little post with smilies and all, has been distorted as a hostile one. I am getting down on my knees to apologize to one and all. There is no room for joking around in this forum, so I will, in future, refrain from attempting to do so. I guess it was an error in my judgement and I will save it as a 'lesson learned'.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 28 October 2011 at 08:16 AM.

Vannakkam: Over here we squabble over American versus British English. It affects the spelling of a few words like flavour, (flavor) colour (color), realise (realize), but perhaps more importantly some with meaning (petrol, gas) or (flat, apartment) Because of the squabbling, book publishers actually change the language for the book's release in the 'other' country. Such is the absurdity of not being able to see the bigger picture.

I can see some British (or vice versa) proud and pompous Lord of his wee acreage saying, "What is this drivel, my Dear? It's not even written in proper English!" and then throwing it into his fireplace.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information