Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year

Re: Happy New Year

as one comedian to another I will say trying to be lighthearted in text is very difficult...but trying to make a joke with someone outside your own micro-culture is even harder.

There's a running joke in Kentucky that we ky women are always barefoot and pregnant.

I do not help ky women prove this common joke wrong.

But, it really isn't true...mostly.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and my heart is full of a wish for you today.

That this year bring you Peace, Love and every single goodly thing!<3

Pranam

Thank you Naya for good wishes.

I hadn't realised that my thread would be turned in to a joke, although i still fail to see where the joke was, what i do know people hide behind the facade to make a point.
    more often then not the person on the other side the receiving end would not see the funny side.

Now i would have stopped responding but the joker has a way of turning things around and make the victim look a fool, quite clear to see in another thread an accusation made '' -- raise their ugly head at the slightest real or perceived provocation (as was evident the other day in another thread ) ''

Now i like to know what was said here that is so ugly?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Wiki states: Yugadi or Ugadi or"Samvatsradi" (Telugu: ఉగాది, yugādi?or సంవత్సరాది:samvatsradi), Konkani/Marathi:युगादी yugādi, Kannada: ಯುಗಾದಿ, yugādi, IPA:[juga:di]?, formed by sandhi of yuga"age" and ādi "beginning": the beginning of an age)is the New Year's Day for the people of the Deccan region of India. It falls on adifferent day every year because the Hinducalendar is a lunisolar calendar. The Sakacalendar begins with the month of Chaitra(MarchApril) and Ugadi marks the first day of the new year. Chaitra is thefirst month in Panchanga which is the Indian calendar.

While the people of Karnataka andAndhraPradesh use the term Yugadi/Ugadi for this festival, the people of Maharashtraterm the same festival, observed on the same day, Gudi Padwa(Marathi: गुढीपाडवा). Sindhis, people from Sindh, celebrate the same day as their New Year day Cheti Chand.[1]Manipurisalso celebrate their New Year (SajibuCheiraoba) on the same day. It is observed as Baisakhi in Punjaband Puthanduin TamilNadu. However, it is not celebrated on the same day as Yugadi in Tamil Nadubecause the Tamils follow a solarcalendar.

..So therefore, the new year is celebrated on differentdays in different regions in Hindu lands. Just another example of amindboggling diversity so very characteristic of Hindus. On a side note, we canafford to poke fun at ourselves on occasion, since we are way too diverse toremain serious all the time. Hindus, just to remind ourselves, remainedpioneers in establishing laughing clubs across the planet. Finally, happy belatedugadi to all Gujaratis.

Vannakkam:

and a "Happy New Year' to anyone bearing the weight of having tomorrow as a New Year, in one way or another.

I know, because of the cultural adaptation to the west, that tomorrow my home temple will sell more archanas than on any other day of the year, in part because it is also a public holiday. Ganesha goes on parade too.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    .....tomorrow my home temple will sell more archanas than on any other day of the year,
    Did you mean your hometown temple, or have you gone into the business of collecting money in your 'home temple' at your own home?
    Just checking to keep you honest.

Pranam

Hari OM

Namaste and Happy New Year,

I wish for everyone to have a year of health, progress, and closeness.

I wish for everyone who reads a long post or Private Message from me, for it to actually show continuity of thought and to make sense .

Om Shanti.

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Did you mean your hometown temple, or have you gone into the business of collecting money in your 'home temple' at your own home?
    Just checking to keep you honest.

Pranam
    Vannakkam: People would run from the asuras in my home.

I was the manager in the 'home town temple' this morning. Only 3 archanas, but 3 abishekhams too. I think the archana is just a way for Ganesha to trick people into donating. This temple is only $5, still while most in North America are $11. Tomorrow will be more like a hundred, but we have 2 sweet grandchildren here for a sleepover so we'll be doing that instead of going to temple. I'm so disappointed..

Aum Namasivaya

Shubham nava varsham

or is it

Shubhaha nav varshaha

(did I say that right? well, I tried at any rate Happy New Year )
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

namaste TouchedbytheLord.
    Here is a link:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...03&postcount=6
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste saidevo.

Thank you! (was I even close, considering the nuances of Sanskrit?)
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information