Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skull rituals?

Re: Skull rituals?

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Aghoris of present day do tend to use skull bowls, but I have no idea where from they got this.
    As far as I know (by doing some reading and research), aghoris sometimes get their 'bowl' from a river. Around in varanasi and other places/ghats where people either leave the bones etc. in water or leave the whole dead body in water. One aghori I read about claimed to search for a skull for many months in and around the banks of different parts of rivers in varanasi. Finally he got one when the time was right.
    satay

If you wish to use a skull (several forms of Shiva carry the skull cap) perhaps saving up for one would be best. In the meant time you could use a crystal representation.

The use of the skull cap by Shaiva sadhus is based on the story of Shiva where he cuts off Brahma's fifth head. Unfortunately he suffers the sin of slaying a Brahmin and the skull cap becomes permanently attached to his hand. I do not recall how far or for how long he wanders but eventually he comes to Varanasi and approaches Parvati in the form of Annapoorna (the Goddess of Nourishment, often propitiated in times of famine and drought). It is only when Annapoorna ladles food into the skull cap - which Shiva has been using to beg alms - is he resolved of the 'sin' and the cap drops from his hands.

Nowadays the only people who use the skull cap are sadhus, certain Buddhist schools, and tantricks of both the Shaiva and Shakta school.

If you wish to know more, I may be able to find it in the Shiva Purana for you.

Namaste,

This is some very useful information. I am not sure if I will obtain one, but it is something of interest to me. I seem to be fond of seeing certain rituals. Perhaps it is just the exoticness of it, but there is something peculiar about some of these practices and rituals that has me intrigued.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information