Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name change and astrology

Name change and astrology

I am going to start the process for changing my name, but the name I connect to most does not connect with my nakshatra. Is that okay? It should be, because I love the vibrations of Shanti Nandiswara and it has a lot of meaning to me. I want to make sure that it is okay because I would like a namakarna samskara. I emailed the priest a while ago but he has not emailed me back. Maybe I will talk to him in person about it. What do you think?

Namaste
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Re: Name change and astrology

Hari Om!

Panditji at the Mandir I most often attend insists that one should consult vedic astrology before a change to ensure that the name does not conflict in any way. Two issues that I was very surprised by after the lengthy reading was that the name that I had chosen was not the best for me and also that the most favorable ishta for me was one that I had not even thought of. Of course I was disappointed, especially with the name because I had already started using it with close friends.

May I suggest that you visit the priest that you mentioned and perhaps another as well. Be sure to have exact information so the reading is accurate. My understanding is that even if the birth time if off by a few minutes, it will give inaccurate results.

Om Nanmah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellasaur View Post
    I am going to start the process for changing my name, but the name I connect to most does not connect with my nakshatra. Is that okay?

Namaste
    Vannakkam Daniellasaur: I would emphasize the word 'process'. Such a process may take anywhere from a year to 10 years. It's reasonably arduous, at least in my experience, and should never be taken lightly. (I'm not implying you are.)

As far as the nakshatra goes, yes that is the traditional way. However, if you really feel connected to a particular name, then at least for me, that would override the nakshatra. Inner feelings of connectedness mean a ton. Please keep us informed. Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Panditji at the Mandir I most often attend insists that one should consult vedic astrology before a change to ensure that the name does not conflict in any way. Two issues that I was very surprised by after the lengthy reading was that the name that I had chosen was not the best for me and also that the most favorable ishta for me was one that I had not even thought of. Of course I was disappointed, especially with the name because I had already started using it with close friends.

May I suggest that you visit the priest that you mentioned and perhaps another as well. Be sure to have exact information so the reading is accurate. My understanding is that even if the birth time if off by a few minutes, it will give inaccurate results.

Om Nanmah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    You should not be worried about these, Smith ! In India, almost every Hindu has a name by which he/she is known and another one which is called the RAshi name given by the Pundit ji who makes the Janma-patri (birth chart). So, you can always have the name that you like. Regarding Ishta Devata too, please don't get bothered much. You should go by what your natural inclination guides you. These Devata, RAshi names etc. are used in Birth-charts & are important only for Match-making for marriage purposes and other SamskArs so that any natural incompatibility between the Devatas etc. may be avoided.

So, please relax on name, Ishta Devata etc. ... You can have what you like to have. Those things are for the Pundit ji & he will take care of it when the time for the SamskArs comes.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Hari Om Devotee!

Thank-you for the kind words. I wasn't aware of such and feel some relief.

In terms of the Ishta, I agree with you 100%. I believe that the Gods call for one reason or another and should not be ignored. I did however after some research find out just how meaningful and in line the suggestion was. Truly delighted because it fit more with goals and lifestyle without compromising my devotion to the original. He is simply an extension of or another form of my true God.

Secondly, as far as the name goes, I was only given letters that the names should start with, not full names. In that case it would make it easier to choose something both meaningful and to my liking though I truly appreciate your advice because it means that I don't have to do anything at all if I choose. So again, thanks!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namast,

I have a question about name spelling, which I don't believe has been addressed on the forum before: Because English has a different alphabet than Sanskrit, how do you think it's best to approach names where the Western characters and Sanskrit sounds don't match?

(I'm placing the question here because, per nakṣatra, my name should begin with . In fact, I'm seriously considering a full name with several ā letters.)

I use IAST because it matters to me to distinguish the sounds of Sanskrit, especially the ones that don't exist in English. I can write my name on personal stuff with all the "ā" I want, of course, but does anyone know if a legal name can include IAST characters?
    If not, is it better to write out the long vowels as "aa," "ee," etc., even if it looks awkward and weird? Or just leave it, and spell the name how it looks best and is most easily pronounced on sight?

It sounds nitpicky even to me, but as a name is a serious choice, I figure it's worth inquiry - even if I look like a bonehead in the process.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Not bone headed at all...

Perhaps, absolutely magnificent<3

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    my name should begin with
    Let's first talk of ka . It is said in mātṛkā order&#185; (arrangement) or sequencing sound/phonemes in saṃskṛtam, this ka is filled with pṛthivī tattva or earth (pṛthivī).

This ka क is the 1st consonant found in saṃskṛtam; There are 16 vowels owned by śiva and 34 consonents owned by śakti. That 1st consonent sound is ka. Now this ka is closely connected with kṣa as it is a reflection&#185; of it. And who is kṣa associated with ? Śakti, the energy of śiva. So what this says is pṛthivī tattva (ka) is filled with śakti (kṣa).

This ka in its gramatical use takes on the notion of 'who' or 'what'. Yet from a spiritual point of view its 3rd derivation it associated with brahman , prajāpati or of a prajāpati.

Also we may see kha, the second consonant of the alphabet. It is defined ( 3rd derivitive) as vacuity , empty space , air , ether , sky
    and due to this is another name for brahma. We find both ka and kham reviewed in the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad.

Now kā का - we find it defined as the 'imitation of the cry of the ass (as in donkey)'. If we look to its 3rd derivitive it is rooted in √kan to seek , desire , yearn , love; it also is extended to mean 'to like , enjoy , be satisfied with '

From an astrological point of view this ka क is associated with Mars as is kha. To confuse the issue kha in the masculine gender is another name for the sun. That said, I find no application ( in my resource books) that offer kā का aligned to a graha ( planet) or nakṣatra . The only nakṣatra-s I see that is aligned with 'k' sound is:
    • ārdrā and it offers the following - kum, kham
    • punarvasū and it offers the following - kay and ko ( some may write kai and ku )
    • ** See post 12 & 13 below for an update and corrections **
    From my point of view kha ख is very favorable as is ka क.

praṇām

words
    • mātṛkā - coming from or belonging to a mother; In our case it is the creative energy of sound, some may call parā vak or devī and
      is affectionately known as the little mother.
      • There are two schemes or arrangments of sounds/phonemes . One is mātṛkā and the other is mālinī. Mālinī is She (devī) who wears a garland of letters ( a mālā) and this is the 50 sounds of saṃskṛtam.
      • One asks what is the difference of the two ? It is how the sounds are arranged , what order. Yet there is a deeper
        difference that not many are aware of. Mātṛkā is absorptive, energetic and mālinī is emmission, cooling. Both are
        complete in themselves and accordingly to abnavagupta-ji both are the nature of śiva and śakti.
    • reflection - this knowledge is that of bimba and its refection (pratibimba). bima is mirror ; pratibima is the reflected image
    Last edited by yajvan; 27 January 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namast&#233;,

I admit I was hoping for a reply from you, Yajvan; I knew you might have some beautiful insight on the sound(s) involved. Many thanks for your writings...

Now kā का - we find it defined as the 'imitation of the cry of the ass (as in donkey)'.
    There are some who might find this a very appropriate name-beginning for me.

Jesting aside, I had read that those born in the third pada of Mṛgasira nakṣatra should have a name beginning with letter 'kaa,' which I (perhaps incorrectly) took to be "kā"?

It is in this sense of 'love' or 'desire' that I have often seen words and/or names beginning with "kā" translated. But perhaps the sense of 'seeking' or 'yearning' is the reason this letter is given? I have read that this is a primary personality trait or life goal of those born in this nakṣatra.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 26 January 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: sigh. jumping the gun on posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namast,

I have a question about name spelling, which I don't believe has been addressed on the forum before: Because English has a different alphabet than Sanskrit, how do you think it's best to approach names where the Western characters and Sanskrit sounds don't match?

(I'm placing the question here because, per nakṣatra, my name should begin with . In fact, I'm seriously considering a full name with several ā letters.)

I use IAST because it matters to me to distinguish the sounds of Sanskrit, especially the ones that don't exist in English. I can write my name on personal stuff with all the "ā" I want, of course, but does anyone know if a legal name can include IAST characters?
    If not, is it better to write out the long vowels as "aa," "ee," etc., even if it looks awkward and weird? Or just leave it, and spell the name how it looks best and is most easily pronounced on sight?

It sounds nitpicky even to me, but as a name is a serious choice, I figure it's worth inquiry - even if I look like a bonehead in the process.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    This is a good question. In the UK a legal name cannot contain accented characters (or at least they are not allowed on your birth certificate, deed poll - the legal name change document, or passport). Of course in signatures, etc. you can put them. My Hindu name (not yet my legal name) is Tāṇḍava Nadesan.

I have often wondered if I should write my name in ASSCII in:

• a way that corresponds to the IAST (Tandava Nadesan)
    • a way that is likely to be pronunced closely by most (Taanduvu Nudeysun)
    • or a way that looks right and sounds close (Taandava Nadesan)

Most of the time I just go with Tandava Nadesan, but I get some really strange pronunciations ("Tandaver Nadersan", with Naddersan rhyming with Patterson is very common in my part of the UK).

Thread Information