Thread: My Travels...

Re: My Travels...

Namaste,

Another trip is over,
    Another chapter is complete,
    Another 'bucket list' desire fulfilled,
    ---------------------------------------------
    (While in India...)
    bune kucch aur pyaar ke dhaage, - (weaved some more threads of love)
    kuchh naye rishte paye, khoye kuchh purane, -
    (found some new relationships, and lost some old ones)
    naye bandhan baandhe zindagi ke, aur toDe kuchh purane, - (tied some new ties to the worldly life, and untied some old ones)
    kuchh khushi ke, aur kuchh gham ke aansoo bahaa kar, - (by shedding some tears of joy, and some of grief)
    diloN ke pyaar baDaaye, - (I increased my love for the loved ones)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another scene (of the movie of life) has come to pass,
    Someday these scenes shall cease,
    Life, as I know it, will be no more,
    But for now, I must get back to reality,
    And tend to the mundane of life.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 29 November 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added a rough translation of the Hindi part.

Very beautiful thoughts. I hope you are well...especially after that terrible slip. What souvenirs did you bring back?

namaskar,
    Swadesh, Apna Desh... You can never truly part with it no matter where life takes you. I suppose we don't want to part with it.
    satay

Namaste,

In the middle of North American winters, few things are more welcome than the embrace of a warm Kona evening. Once you exit the airport and get on the highway in your rental car, the first thing you have to reprogramme yourself about is the slower pace of life. You have to trade the reckless big city driving of 70 mph for a leisurely 35 mph cruise. One thing I could brag about was to have remembered the layout of the town from the previous visit and be able to reach the resort without looking at the map. A good night's rest and a hearty breakfast and we were off to Hilo on the Eastern side of the island.

Hilo gets rained on over 320 days per year, but the gods of rain were kind to us and we enjoyed perfect dry weather. The Mauna Loa macademia nut farm/packing plant, the Hilo Coffee Mill farm and roasting house, the Volcano National Park, the city zoo with its foliage, and the various parks with their tropical flora and fauna kept us busy. The Akaka Falls Park in a tropical rain forest setting is a joy to stroll through and to see the 440+ ft water fall. Atop the Mauna Kea mountain at 13800 ft (accessible only with a 4 wheel drive vehicle), sit various observatories for star gazing. Who would associate Hawaii with snow, but there it was in all of its winter glory, blanketing the area around the observatories. Of course the observatories are closed to the general public, but the visitor center located at 9000 ft boasts of a lookout point for viewing enchanting sunsets, followed by a treat of the star studded night sky. Some volunteers set up telescopes for visitors to watch Venus and Jupiter. The Laupahoehoe Point Park, to the North of Hilo is a gently sloping lava rock path to the ocean. In 1946 the town was devastated by a tsunami. Many young students and teachers were overtaken by the surprise wall of water appearing from nowhere and perished in the inundation. A plaque commemorates the lives lost in that sad event. The Hilo Farmer's Market has plenty of fresh tropical fruits and vegetables from local farmers along with the Hawaiian arts and craft items. We got lucky with the hotel location in this city, in that few steps down from the back of the property was a very enjoyable spot - a brook with its gentle murmur, surrounded by flower bushes and covered up above by a canopy created by tall trees. It would make an excellent place for some reflections, but the mosquitoes made sure that you could not linger in their territory for too long.

After enjoying the Hilo culture, we headed back to Kona on the Western side of the island of Hawaii. Kona gets lot less rain and is more touristy. The island having been the product of volcanic eruptions does not have much in terms of decent beaches and the coastline is lined with lava rocks. So, one is reduced to walking/jogging along the water or lazing around the hotel pool, overlooking the ocean. Many folks congregate on the main street for shopping, eating or just to walk around. Evenings bring out the thirsty ones for bar hopping and loud music.

It was all good while it lasted, but I must get back to the mundane till the next trip.
    Last edited by Believer; 06 February 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hari Om,

Namaste BelieverJi,

Is this part of bucket list and if so, how many items are on this list for goodness sakes?

Sir, in spite of my learnings, there is just a tiny, tiny, part of me that hopes you reside in Midwest. If not for learnings, my lil self, would hope for you to live in Canada at this part of year. You would have good company there as consolation prize.

Safe journey and enjoy.

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    In the middle of North American winters, few things are more welcome than the embrace of a warm Kona evening. Once you exit the airport and get on the highway in your rental car, the first thing you have to reprogramme yourself about is the slower pace of life. You have to trade the reckless big city driving of 70 mph for a leisurely 35 mph cruise. One thing I could brag about was to have remembered the layout of the town from the previous visit and be able to reach the resort without looking at the map. A good night's rest and a hearty breakfast and we were off to Hilo on the Eastern side of the island. Hilo gets rained on over 320 days per year, but the gods of rain were kind to us and we enjoyed perfect dry weather. The Mauna Loa macademia nut farm/packing plant, the Hilo Coffee Mill farm and roasting house, the Volcano National Park and the various parks with their tropical flora and fauna kept us busy. The Akaka Falls Park in a tropical rain forest setting is a joy to stroll through and to see the 440+ ft water fall. Atop the Mauna Kea mountain at 13800 ft, sit various observatories for star gazing. Who would associate Hawaii with snow, but there it was in all of its winter glory, surrounding the area around the observatories. Of course the observatories are closed to the general public, but the visitor center located at 9000 ft boasts of a lookout point for viewing enchanting sunsets, followed by a treat of the star studded night sky. Some volunteers set up telescopes for visitors to watch Venus and Jupiter. The Laupahoehoe Point Park, to the North of Hilo is a gently sloping lava rock path to the ocean. In 1946 the town was devastated by a tsunami. Many young students and teachers were overtaken by the surprise wall of water appearing from nowhere and perished in the inundation. A plaque commemorates the lives lost in that sad event. The Hilo Farmer's market has plenty of fresh tropical fruits and vegetables from local farmers along with the Hawaiian arts and craft items.

After enjoying the Hilo culture, we headed back to Kona or the Western side of the island of Hawaii. Kona gets lot less rain and is more touristy. The island having been the product the volcanic eruptions does not have much in terms of decent beaches and the coastline is lined with lava rocks. So, one is reduced to walking/jogging along the water or lazing around the hotel pool, overlooking the ocean.

It was all good while it lasted, but I must get back to the mundane till the next trip.
    Vannakam Believer: Kona was where we honeymooned for 6 weeks. Very nice climate, and people. You are indeed one lucky man.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Kona was where we honeymooned for 6 weeks.
    Only Canadians can get away with being away from work for 6 weeks. In the US, they send federal marshals to look for you if you are gone for over two weeks.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer: I was unemployed, totally broke (just after the honeymoon, not before) but ridiculously optimistic about the life ahead. We walked everywhere and stayed in the local hotel there on the west coast. You probably drove by it in your Rolls, up from your 500 a night resort, but didn't notice it as a hotel even.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    You probably drove by it in your Rolls, up from your 500 a night resort, but didn't notice it as a hotel even.
    Yeah sure, me and my Rolls convertible!

Now my color printer is working overtime to print greenbacks to pay for the charges on my AMEX.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 27 January 2012 at 12:28 AM.

What's a honeymoon?

lol There is only one time of convertible I know of here in the U.S.

large_Steel166.jpg

(dream car- Buick Sky Lark)

Thread Information