Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and in search of knowledge

New and in search of knowledge

Hey there, I'm new to this site and very new to Hinduism. I wouldn't proclaim myself as a Hindu though I have a growing interest in it.
    For many years I've been a practicing Buddhist, first Tibetan Buddhism and then Zen. Although I enjoyed most of it, trying to follow the five precepts and eighfold path as best as I can, I've become a little dissilusioned with what seems like quite a depressing path. What I mean by that is that most Buddhists I know are atheists, claiming that beyond karma the universe is meaningless, and I've always been troubled by this. I've always believed in God in my own way. The God I believe in I'd say was more pantheistic and to do with universal conciousness. I'm not sure if this is what Hindu's believe or if this is more of a new age thing? I believe there's more to the universe than what Buddhism proclaims, and I believe that ultimately God (the universe) is unconditionally loving, it's only our ego's that get in the way.
    Am I way off the mark here? Is this not what hinduism is about? I've read some books by Ram Dass and I've been hooked.
    Any help or information would be great.

Greg

Re: New and in search of knowledge

Namaste Greg,

Welcome to HDF! Nice to read your views, you actually explained it quite well I think.

As far as I know, there isn't any one definitive view of what Sanatana Dharma says on something, because it is a diverse path with many different sects. However, the two main views held among these are the dvaita (duality) and advaita (non-duality), and both of them reject the claims that the universe is meaningless. I personally follow the latter philosophy which takes a panentheistic view of God, that God is the universal consciousness and He also transcends it at the same time. But maximum emphasis is laid on using one's own personal experience to realize the truth of the Self. I will wait for our more experienced members to explain further, because I still consider myself a newbie in these matters.

I hope you find the discussions here useful in your spiritual journey!
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Namaste Greggorious,

Pleased to meet you.

You will find what you seek here I am quite confident for you of that. There are many paths; all lead to that, God realisation.

Ganesha may be a great place to start, he unquestioningly removes obstacles for your swift passage.

Open your heart; an avatara may enter as you feel drawn towards them. They will undoubtedly help to guide you through this forest.
    As will the sage forum members here on HDF.

You can also look toward the Sutras of Patanjali for a practical guide to meditative practise and other sadhana, you may also find much light there.

Welcome to HDF.

praNAma

mana

Namaste Greggorius,
    Welcome to HDF and to Sanatana Dharma. I do not feel comfortable trying to answer a searchers question like yours when I think that Obeliski and Mana and the others that will follow are more knowledgeable to respond.
    I do not know so much from Tibeten and Zen standpoint but from Theravada position, if these others schools of buddhism gave you good discipline in meditation, it may take on much more meaningful role for you as a portion of your sadhana within S.D. For along time Greggorius, I thought I had found peace and calmness in Buddhism, but I too was missing something. Within S.D., her scriptures, the friends here at HDF, my sadhana that I am blessed to pursue, the realization of the Supreme Being comes to be and now there is Love and Understanding that makes my old peace and calmness (even though greatful for as part of journey here) kind of cold. I trust that you will find what you are looking for as well and good to meet you.

OM Shanti
    FFTW

Vannakkam Greggorius: Here;s hoping you find some wisdom here. Welcome.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

You are very fortunate to have come across this site. There are many learned members and many points of veiw, some of which you may find deeply resonate within your soul. Essentially, take what works and leave the rest. I agree with Mana - Ganesha is a fantastic place to start as He is always very compassionate and generous to those who call to Him. Even simple prayers of inquiry seem to be answered, oft with deep meaning. Just something to consider.

Additionally, Friend from the West may be a good connection point with his experiences from both religions.

Above all, welcome! I trust that with any interaction and research on the site that you will find what you are thirsting for.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Thanks for all your replies. Could someone outline what the sects of Hinduism are, and perhaps what is the most liberal one? It's odd but I don't consider myself religious, but deeply spiritual. Religion is made made, spirituality is not.
    Also what are the main meditations? In Buddhism I encountered breath concentration and insight meditation. Is Chakra balancing a Hindu?

Sorry for my ignorance, but am interested in learning more.

Namaste

Greg

Welcome Greg.

Hope you find all answers to your search for TRUTH here in this forum.

Look forward to your thoughts and the deliberations on the same.

Love and best wishes

Namaste Greggorious,

Welcome to HDF. Hopefully you will learn a lot about Sanatana Dharma here.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Hari Om Greg,

IMHO, there are 4 sects, perhaps even more if you count the subsects within the sects themselves but lets not for simplicities sake and to avoid confusion.

You can find what I consider the 3 major sects, excluding the 4th that is listed as ISKCON which I feel may be a subsect of Vaisnavism. (There will be a huge debate from many members here on that one, but it is only my opinion on the matter.) To find the sects listed on the forums and posts contained within, they will be listed under "God in Hindu Dharma". You will see Vaishnava, Shaiva, and Shakta. Not listed and one I feel should be added is Smtism.

With my limited knowledge, I submit the following which will certainly be added to and corrected by more learned members of this group.

Vaishnava - Devotion to Lord Vishnu and his avatars, most notably Rama and Krishna.

Shaiva- Devotion to Lord Shiva

Shakta- Devotion to Durga and her many forms including Ambe, Kali and others.

Smrta- Devotion to a personal god of ones choosing, perhaps one listed above or most perhaps Ganesha, Surya or even a God from the other sects like avatars Skanda, etc. IMHO it is most liberal and a mishmash of all the others. It follows the Advaita thought along the lines of Chinmaya Mission or Ramakrishna Mission.

Enough said. I hope that this gives you a start on what you are looking for and is correct information or close enough that it will suffice for now. You will however get MANY other views. I put my limited understanding out there, please use it as you will.

All the best in your search for what satisfies your soul.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    Last edited by c.smith; 07 November 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Key work needed editing

Thread Information