Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forums for Advaita Hindu Dharma

Forums for Advaita Hindu Dharma

Namaste dear Hindu Dharma Forums

Thank You from the bottom of my heart for everything.

A humble suggestion :

The name of these forums should perhaps be changed to

"Forums for Advaita Hindu Dharma"

We have been having many members who are blank slates -- absolutely new to Sanatan Dharma. They have no clue that Sanatan Dharma has two major [sets of ] philosophies.
    ONE- whose goal is moksha into NirguN Brahman via jnana, dhyana, raja-yoga, tantra.
    TWO- whose goal is Personal Bhagvad prem seva - VaishNav dharma, pure bhakti marga.

While upAsna mArga may vary, all other schools (except VaishNav) are at least heading for the same goal - ONE.

The title of the forums will at least give an idea to the newcomers about what the main theme is before they dive in.

I hope this suggestion will be taken in good spirit.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: Forums for Advaita Hindu Dharma

Hello Smaranamji:

My .02 Rs on this issue.

Let us continue to call the forum Hindu Dharma Forums. That there are two different philosophies - Jnana and Bhakti with somewhat different sadhanas is a source of strength for Sanatana Dharma rather than a source of weakness. It may be a source of confusion for new comers but neither did Shankara completely dismiss Bhakti nor did Ramanuja/Madhva completely dismiss Jnana.

Perhaps the "skewness" you notice in the posts here is a reflection of the distribution of Advaita/Dvaita thought amongst the internet Hindus?

In any case, I enjoy your posts a lot.

While I am first and foremost a practitioner of the Bhakti yogic path, and believe in Lord Krsna's Mercy to myself and those around me, I do not think such a position as mine must ipso facto dismiss the path of one-ness with Brahman.

Somehow I sense a deep complimentarity and dove-tailing of these two views. Yes, they are radically different in terms of their goals. But they each exist for a reason, and I think those reasons should not be set aside lightly at all, but discussed to a large extent, explored and delved into and pondered deeply.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste dear Hindu Dharma Forums

Thank You from the bottom of my heart for everything.

A humble suggestion :

The name of these forums should perhaps be changed to

"Forums for Advaita Hindu Dharma"

We have been having many members who are blank slates -- absolutely new to Sanatan Dharma. They have no clue that Sanatan Dharma has two major [sets of ] philosophies.
    ONE- whose goal is moksha into NirguN Brahman via jnana, dhyana, raja-yoga, tantra.
    TWO- whose goal is Personal Bhagvad prem seva - VaishNav dharma, pure bhakti marga.

While upAsna mArga may vary, all other schools (except VaishNav) are at least heading for the same goal - ONE.

The title of the forums will at least give an idea to the newcomers about what the main theme is before they dive in.

I hope this suggestion will be taken in good spirit.

praNAm
    Namaste Smaranam,

I am extremely sad to hear this from "you". You were the last person in my mind practising Bhakti Yoga on this forum, from whom I expected a remarks like this. Let me tell you the history of Advaita on this forum :

This forum has moved towards Advaita mainly due to these members :

a) The first culprit : "Atanu" -- who was forced to leave due to differences on some issue
    b) Second : "Devotee"
    c) Third and Fourth : Yajvan ji and Saidevo ji ===> They are not really Advaitins but as Kashmir Shaivism and Upanishads have strong inclination towards Advaita, they tend to support it
    d) New Comers who are interested in Scientific aspect of spirituality where Advaita scores well

So, if you analyse it well ... I am the worst culprit among all, on this issue as far as old members are concerned. So, if old members have to be blamed for the present status of the forums, please blame me alone as Atanu has already left this forum & others are not really Advaitins. Please note that Satay never wanted it to represent this site any one philosophy of the Hindu Dharma.

The current shape of the forums is due to what Satay wanted it to have. He wanted to have here all aspects of Hindu Dharma but was initially critical to Advaita philosophy. I had a long discussion with him and other members on this forum to convince them the validity and practicality of Advaita. There has been bitter fights on this forum against Advaita (basically from ISKCON members) and it was Advaita members who were always on the defensive side . If you don't believe me, please check the old posts.

If you are not happy with this situation ... I shall leave the forums, if that helps .... however, I have always tried to give Bhakti and Jnana their due places here on these forums.

BTW, how other paths of Hindu Dharma are not represented here ... I am shocked to heart this. Is there a ban on devotees of Bhakti-yoga to post and discuss here ... or are they discriminated against here on this forum. If not, why this issue ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Smaranam, your post sounds a little dubious to me.

I really don't understand your intentions.

Namaste,

I feel that there are many paths that are given attention here. You see Bhakti Yoga and even the Hare Krishna's have a say. I do not agree with certain paths, but I do not even feel tempted to go tell a Bhakta that he or she is missing something, because all these paths take us to the Supreme. I practice Advaita, with much love and respect for Kashmir Saivism, yet I still make devotion, though not as much as my silent meditation. I make offerings to Murti, use mantras, and meditate upon Shiva. I think this forum is very open to many paths. Even Muslims and christians have a say here.

Om Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: I have little to add, other that I like it the way it is. I am both, bhaktar, and advaitin, as Saiva Siddhanta encompasses both. So if it became exclusively one or the other, I'd have to leave.

I do wish we had a listing of other forums to go to, with a brief description of all of them. I'm sure there must be an ISKCON only forum. The only other two that I'm aware of that are religiousforums.com which has individual sections, and is well moderated, and TamilBrahmins.com which is a place where a wider arrangement of issues unique to Tamil Brahmins is discussed.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

First, let me clarify that this is NOT about me or for me. If it was would i not simply leave silently without making this post ?

I shall address all comments.
    Emergencies to be handled first:
    @Devoteeji, you are NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE HDF. You are a light for those on the Advaita path(s). So it is out of question. You are a very nice being too.

All i am saying is : it is about time we stopped kidding ourselves and faced facts. The nature of our paths despite the common bonds of Vedopanishads.

What happens here is that "New to Sanatan Dharma" inevitably gets the message that Hinduism leads to Advaita. If that was there intention, fine, otherwise they would have been on krishna.com , iskcondesiretree, pushtimarg.net, shrivaishnav forums, KrishnaForum etc.

What about those that have no idea where to go within Hinduism ? They come here as it is the best gateway to Hindu Dharma. They end up with Himalayan Academy, Eknath Eashwaran and MAndukya Upanishad - Shankara bhAsya. So, why not let them do so knowingly, consciously.

@SpiritualSeeker: Fact that Christian and Muslims have forums here is no good argument. Hindu position is different. We share too many things to be pulled apart BUT, our sadhanas cannot occur together. As long as you post in Shaiva and i post in VaishNav we are fine. We can come together in "On Dharma", "Mera Bharat Mahan", "Indian Arts" and keep the Hindu spirit alive.
    HOWEVER, we have some common areas : "philosophy", "God in Hindu dharma" , "scriptures" , and now the best part : "Bhagavad Gita" and "New to Sanatan Dharma"

@Wundermonk: "somewhat different sadhanas" ? somewhat ? What about the goals ? What about when it comes to "Aham Brahmasmi" (qualitatively, not quantitatively) and interpretation of key verses of Gita ?

"I enjoy your posts"
    Those are very kind words, thank you, but the main idea is not simply enjoying posts.

more to follow ...

praNAm
    om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 14 November 2011 at 09:46 AM.

continued...

Namaste

We share Vedopanishads, puranas, shruti smRti and mainly the Sanatan Dharma - Hindu culture.

HDF has been like a home for me, the mother who listens to all gibberish from Her child. HDF is beautiful.

I request all to please look at the following rationally and not emotionally, without any emotional elements, as there are none from my side, i love all of you :

The message thread of the day, week etc. in common areas, for the innocent newbies or even the longer-time sadhaks, is generally this :

- Bhakti is good, sweet, nice, all fine, but ultimately you have to come around to accept advaita.
    OR Real bhakti starts after you first repeat to yourself one oneness all is one ONLY and there cannot be two. (This is not true, real bhakti starts when one is free of material anarthas, anartha nivRtti)

- There is no such thing as spiritual variegatedness. Seeing two or many is spiritual immaturity. Ignorance.

- The bhakti schools are ladders that lead to Advaita.

- Can AtmA have personality ? Gunas ? What svarup ? there is only one svarup. The water in the ocean.

---------

Transcendental qualities of Supreme Lord KRshNa (VishNu) can be understood only in company of like-minded sadhus, and pure devotees of KRshNa. The option of some sort of oneness is there, but oneness with Bhagvan, while least of the VaishNav goals, is a very personal matter between Bhagvan and bhakta, and has nothing to do with philosophizing or breaking of the clay pot to find attribute-less existence.

Having everyone on the common threads is pointless. Let us face it, there is nothing in common once we get there. Now do you see why the VaishNavs just come and go ?

Let Ganga be Ganga and Yamuna be Yamuna, otherwise the pebbles will restrict the flow.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

_/\_
    Last edited by smaranam; 14 November 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Namaste Smaranam,

When I first started to search for virtual forums, I chose Krishnatalk.com ( I am not sure if it survives today). Bhagwad Gita has been my favourite and I see both Bhakti and Jnana in this beautiful Song of the Lord. I stayed for some time on that forum and shared my views which were not ISKCON style bhakti to which this forum was dedicated. I had discussion with many of them ... and some people got angry with me, in spite of giving scriptural proof for whatever I wrote. So, one fine day I found that my user name has been deleted from the forum and all my posts have been deleted !

I am simply a Bhakta and Advaita is like poison to me ... imho, is something which has been brought by ISKCON which has also got some mutilated versions of some scriptures to buttress their point. I also seriously doubt their version of Gaurang's views on Advaita. If Advaita was so much different ... why there are five out of total six schools of Vedanta accepting Advaita in one form or the other ? If Advaita is such an anathema for a Krishna Bhakta then why the Vaishnava Gurus accepted their spiritual masters from Advaita school ? Or if Advaita can do harm to a Vaishnava bhakta then why Vishnu Purana talks of Advaitic union with Lord Vishnu by meditating on him ? Why do Lord Krishna say in Uttar Gita that Advaita is the final goal ? Similarly, if Advaita had any problem with Bhakti then why Sankaracharya write Bhaj Govindam ?

Finally, the Vaishnavas are not stopped for stating their viewpoint here. When a newbie comes here, why don't you or any Vaishnava guide them to Vaishnava path ? BTW, how many of the members here are pure Advaitin on this forum ? Or do you want to say in ISKCONite's language that Advaita philosophy is something which is sinful & to be avoided as the ISCKNOites spread willful mutilated words of Gaurang Prabhu against Advaita ? There was one ISKCONite here named, "Krishna Das" who believed that all Advaitins were demons !

Enough said. I don't feel like saying much now. It feels me with disgust to say anything further.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information