Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: slavery in Abrahamic religions

slavery in Abrahamic religions

Since it is believed to be gods words. I am posting it here.

Christianity............
    Exodus 21:20-21
    King James Version (KJV)
    20And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Islam.........

SHAKIR: O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.

In these verses human being is treated like a commodity ?
    Is this correct?

Re: slavery in Abrahamic religions

Namaste,

I think they are treated as a commodity in Abrahamic religions. In Islam you can have a slave, but you must cloth them and feed them the way you wear and eat. This is nice, but the problem is they are still slaves. Muhammad even had a slave (not sure if many know this). Female slaves can be used for sex. You can trade them for money. They work under you. Ali ibn Abu Talib who is the 1st Imam of the Muslims had sex with a slave girl before the last hajj of Muhammad after a battle in which he obtain the booty of war. We all know the followers of Judaism also supported slavery and is justified in the bible. Jesus even uses metaphors by using terms from slavery. Such as the slave and the slave master are not the same. Its not surprising to see many of the Abrahamic followers are obsessed with capitalism.

Om Namah Shivaya

Slavery was common as far back as at least the Bronze Age, when the Old Testament was compiled. It continued to the time of Jesus, which is why he commented on it, being familiar with it, continuing even up to the present day. Christians (not all, just the more fundamental and literalist ones) pick and choose what portions of the bible, especially the Old Testament, they want to adhere to. They eat shellfish and bacon double cheeseburgers, get haircuts and shave their beards, and wear fabric blends, which are all forbidden in Leviticus, yet they constantly cite Lev. 18:22 to condemn homosexuality. It's hypocrisy of the first magnitide.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Yeah, I will certainly grant that evangelicals have been good about utterly repudiating slavery. But the fact that it's sanctioned in the Bible largely discredits their claim that their scripture is an absolute moral guide.

Quote Originally Posted by arp1 View Post
    Since it is believed to be gods words. I am posting it here.

Christianity............
    Exodus 21:20-21
    King James Version (KJV)
    20And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Islam.........

SHAKIR: O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.

In these verses human being is treated like a commodity ?
    Is this correct?

Namaste arp1,

I would recommend you find the script in the original language and translate it your self before drawing any conclusions, I haven't thus I can't ...

At the time of transcription, servitude may have been common, the original language may be referring to something else, for example imagine the local lord of the land being worshipped by those who chose to live in the same community. Language and other forms of mAyA do not chage at the same rate, nor do they change in parallel ways.

praNAam

mana

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    I would recommend you find the script in the original language and translate it your self before drawing any conclusions
    That's an excellent point. The original text is often not what it is translated to. The original Hebrew has been filtered through Greek, Latin, Old English, Middle English and Modern English. Even Paul's Greek is mostly mistranslated and misunderstood. It's like the game of telephone... the original message can be so distorted as to be unrecognizable from the original. I do not believe, as most Christian churches maintain, that the bible was preserved from error by God.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thank you my brothers. , I am interested to see OCC's reply. I want to know how she is going to defend Allah? I have quiet a few Allah's words which need explanation from Islam apologists .

Just so you know, the Bible isn't promoting slavery; it is just mentioning it, as it was part of the culture mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    I would recommend you find the script in the original language and translate it your self before drawing any conclusions, I haven't thus I can't ...

praNAam

mana
    Bingo.

The word used in Hebrew that is often translated into "slave" is עבד
    which more closely means "to work", or "to labor".

There are other words that mean "slave" in the modern sense people think of, such as שפחה

What was the original intention? Back then, they had no jails. If you were convicted of a crime, and you had debt owed to someone, you have to pay a monetary fee. If you couldn't, you would sell yourself into עבד or "labor" for a maximum of six years (all debts were considered repaid at the beginning of the seventh year and you were free, no matter how large the debt). It should be interesting to note, that they specifically mention Hebrew slaves here. Why would the Hebrews take their own for slaves? No other nation I can think of has done this. It's because they weren't really slaves, but criminals.

(TouchedbytheLord: we can cut our hair, and we're only not supposed to shave with a blade. The reason being we're not supposed to put a blade to our bodies, ever. I shave with an electric razor, which is acceptable because it does not cut the skin. I follow the whole law, I'm not a hypocrite.)

Namaste,

Bingo.

The word used in Hebrew that is often translated into "slave" is עבד
    which more closely means "to work", or "to labor".

There are other words that mean "slave" in the modern sense people think of, such as שפחה

What was the original intention? Back then, they had no jails. If you were convicted of a crime, and you had debt owed to someone, you have to pay a monetary fee. If you couldn't, you would sell yourself into עבד or "labor" for a maximum of six years (all debts were considered repaid at the beginning of the seventh year and you were free, no matter how large the debt). It should be interesting to note, that they specifically mention Hebrew slaves here. Why would the Hebrews take their own for slaves? No other nation I can think of has done this. It's because they weren't really slaves, but criminals.

Thank you for the explanation. I do not see how this makes anything better. Women and children were taken slaves and many for sure had to experience trauma from this. There is no sugar coating it. It reminds me of Muslims trying to state that since Muslims cloth and feed the slaves, then it is not such a bad thing.

The god of the Judaism allowed for slaughter in his name and the taking of captives. Quite frankly, god ordered terrorism.

I follow the whole law, I'm not a hypocrite.)
    I do not know what is truly in your mind, but I find it a bit arrogant when one tries to claim that they are not hypocrites. Surely, there must be some type of flaw within you? Unless perhaps you realized you are not your changing personality. Perhaps the one who fails to follow the law, yet always tries his best and does not boast, perhaps that one is not a hypocrite. This is not an attack on you, for perhaps you are not a hypocrite, its just an observation I am making. That observation may be wrong.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information