Thread: Prabhat Pheri - Morning Walkabout

Prabhat Pheri - Morning Walkabout

Namaste,

In some of the North Indian cities, there is a tradition of Prabhat Pheri, or Morning Walkabout in the month of Kartik. People congregate at the temple at dawn and then walk around the neighborhood as a group, singing bhajans and playing mridangam/cymbols. The procession ends at the home of a devotee who wants to be the host for the day. There is a puja/aarti at the house of the host followed by prasad/refreshments. This is done every day for about two weeks and ends on the Kartik poornima day. Does anyone know the significance of/reason for, this tradition - the timing, the duration and the deity honored?

Incidently, this coincides with something similar, conducted by sikhs to celebrate the birthday of Guru Nanak.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 16 November 2011 at 03:37 AM.

Re: Prabhat Pheri - Morning Walkabout

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

In some of the North Indian cities, there is a tradition of Prabhat Pheri, or Morning Walkabout in the month of Kartik. People congregate at the temple at dawn and then walk around the neighborhood as a group, singing bhajans and playing mridangam/cymbols. The procession ends at the home of a devotee who wants to be the host for the day. There is a puja/aarti at the house of the host followed by prasad/refreshments. This is done every day for about two weeks and ends on the Kartik poornima day. Does anyone know the significance of/reason for, this tradition - the timing, the duration and the deity honored?

Incidently, this coincides with something similar, conducted by sikhs to celebrate the birthday of Guru Nanak.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam Believer: Forget the significance, let's just do it. What a great way to start the day! Bhajans sure beat listening to car horns. Keep enjoying.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Prabhat Pheri - Morning Walkabout

Namaste,

Yes EM, I very much wished to be part of it, at least for a few days. Unfortunately, the event ended a couple of days before I got here. That is why I am trying to find out as to what is it synched with, so that may be, in future I could try to plan my trips to be here when they have the Prabhat Pheri in full swing. It is such an uplifting way to start the day.

Pranam.

Thread Information