Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your favorite verses of the Bhagavad Gita?

Re: What are your favorite verses of the Bhagavad Gita?

Atman (the Self) never takes birth and never dies at any time nor does it come into being again when the body is created. Atman (the Self) is birthless, eternal, imperishable and timeless and is not destroyed when the body is terminated. 2.20

As a man shedding worn-out garments, takes new ones, likewise the embodied soul, casting off worn out bodies enters into other new bodies. 2.22

Your right is in doing the work alone and never in the fruits of those works. You should not be the cause of the fruit of actions and you should not be attached to inaction too. 2.47

Endowed with equanimity one sheds in this life both good and evil. Therefore, strive for the practice for this Yoga of equanimity. Skill in action lies in practice of this Yoga. 2.50

He who is unattached to everything and experiences Good and the Evil without rejoicing or recoiling (i.e. with equanimity), his mind becomes steady . 2.58

He who has not controlled his mind and senses can have no determinate intellect nor contemplation. Without contemplation, he can have no peace, and without peace how can he enjoy happiness ? 2.66

As the waters of different rivers enter the Ocean, which though full from all sides, remains undisturbed, likewise, he in whom all enjoyments merge themselves without causing disturbance; attains peace and not he who hankers after such enjoyments. 2.70

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Occ

The Bhagavad Gita; Chapter 11 sloka 10, 11 and 12.

10. With numerous mouths and eyes, with numerous wonderful sights, with numerous
    divine ornaments, with numerous divine weapons uplifted (such a form He showed).

11. Wearing divine garlands and apparel, anointed with divine unguents, the all-wonderful,
    resplendent (Being), endless, with faces on all sides,

12. If the splendour of a thousand suns were to blaze out at once (simultaneously) in the sky,
    that would be the splendour of that mighty Being (great soul).

Transcribed and interpreted by, Swami Sivananda.

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 17 November 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Hari Om!

Bhagavad Gita 2.7

"I am weighed down with weakmindedness; I am confused and cannot understand my duty. I beg you to say for sure what is right for me to do. I am your disciple. Please teach me, for I have taken refuge in you."

Namaste

Bg 5.29

bhoktāraṁ yajña-tapasāṁ
    sarva-loka-maheśvaram
    suhṛdaṁ sarva-bhūtānāṁ
    jñātvā māṁ śāntim ṛcchati

I wont add any translation, but will give a brief explanation or a deepening of my own study and practice. All the teachings point to the Supreme Reality as the final refuge, which is the Atma, Self Brahman in Vedanta, Mam is no difference to Atma, Self in Vedanta.

Just recently I was listing to a Sri Lankan Bikhhu Punnaji, who is attempting to retranslate the pali suttas. In the Pali suttas Siddharta often refers to himself~Aham as Tathagata, Punnaji etymology of tatagata is tat~that and agata as having arrived at, Buddha Bud~ awakened and dha turned inwards , was one who had arrived at tat, that should finally sort out any issues of difference and conclusion.

More than just find a synthesis between the two who act as one dharma, which was corrupted within a human construct set to cause unrest and division. What is more or more evident is that all sadhanas and teachings point to Atma Vichara and the path is via a process of self awareness or self critique study viveka and svadhaya. This invites investigated or inside seeing vi, vitarka directing the mind in, vichara mind stabalized internally, vipassana insight into the nature of the phenomenon which includes mind, vijnana insight knowledge into Self, inside seeing into what makes the body mind and conscious fields tick in a organic way by self study. The texts then become manuals of sadhana to give more direction towards atma vichara which solves everything and is the goal and the final refuge.

The different functions of vi with their counter parts, which I can only give a rough translation is that the mind or attention is turned inwards or away from thought, mind and bodily sensations and activities. The first member is sraddha, i researched this word because I was never comfortable with the word faith, not coming from a religious background a type of faith and hope seemed irrational and sentimental. The teachings back this up I found two types of valid shradda, first stage is a rational faith which is built upon the application of vichara to see through viveka shakti or the power to discern the real from the unreal, this in its self is abroad topic but the point is to see~ vi for oneself as a direct experience, when one has vipassana or more clear insight seeing that all phenomenon is passing and changing, unsteady and uncertain then detachment comes and one gains vijnana or knowledge on how to maintain focus on Self, it becomes intuitive, so the pure rationality of it that it stems from the application of practice vitarka and gaining experiential knowledge, this is the first foundation of shraddha or turning ones attention toward truth. When sraddha is fixed there is no difference between Atma Vichara and Shraddha.

Bg 6.26

yato yato niścalati
    manaś cañcalam asthiram
    tatas tato niyamyaitad
    ātmany eva vaśaṁ nayet

Bg 6.27

praśānta-manasaṁ hy enaṁ
    yoginaṁ sukham uttamam
    upaiti śānta-rajasaṁ
    brahma-bhūtam akalmaṣam

Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 10 January 2018 at 06:08 AM.

Thread Information