Thread: Name Change

Name Change

Namaste!!

So, I really want to be a Hindu. I want to be accepted in Hindu communities, so I've chose my Sanatana Name: Naksatraraja Anandapriya. The kind of stars, the dear one who gives joy. Well, it hasn't been legalized yet anyways...Is this okay in our dharma? I know it's not wrong, but necessary? I would love to hear your opinions...

Dhanyavadah!
    Jai Maa Durga

Re: Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by cmorel02 View Post
    Namaste!!

So, I really want to be a Hindu. I want to be accepted in Hindu communities, so I've chose my Sanatana Name: Naksatraraja Anandapriya. The kind of stars, the dear one who gives joy. Well, it hasn't been legalized yet anyways...Is this okay in our dharma? I know it's not wrong, but necessary? I would love to hear your opinions...

Dhanyavadah!
    Vannakkam cmorel: It is not necessary at all to change your name. (I changed mine, legally, 32 years ago.) Very few people actually change their name when they adopt or convert to Hinduism. The fact that you practice it is more important. Certainly it may be something you do in the future, but in order to fit in at Hindu temples or with Hindus it will make very very little difference. If there is any judging going on, (Most Hindus aren't very judgmental at all) it will be by your actions, words, and behaviour, not by your name. The name itself is meaningless. The calling yourself a Hindu is meaningless, unless accompanied by Hindu actions like being quiet, polite and reserved, attending temple and attitudes like compassion and humility.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially in any sense of haste. Its actually quite the hassle, making announcements, and getting all your acquaintances and family to adjust, making all the announcements to banks, bill paying etc. I did it only after five years of pretty intense study and sadhana, writing essays, proving to myself and others I actually wanted to etc etc. So there is no hurry. I'd suggest you just enjoy the practises of the world's oldest and most wonderful religion for awhile first.

Aum Namasivaya

cmorel,
    no need for aany legal change, but if you want your hindu friends to call you by a hindu name just urge them to do so. The above long name will be truncated to Priya by them Im positive, which is a lovely name. Besides, practically speaking you may have to face some hardship in a western land with a hindu name, you can spare yourself that trouble. Namaste.

Namaste,

While it is commendable to think about changing your identity, as others have suggested, it is a big step and should not be taken lightly. Living the life of a Hindu, observing various rituals/festivals, and visiting the temple in spiritual clothes commensurate with the tradition of the temple that you attend, are more important than rushing to change your name. Of course it lends another layer of affirmation and declares your commitment to your chosen path, but the commitment must first be confirmed over a period of years.

Regarding the names, it is entirely your choice. But to select one which would be short, and easy to pronounce for both Indians as well as the Westerners, would be my choice. As is the custom in US, everyone's name gets truncated; so, why not have a short one which everyone would use rather than one which people would try to truncate/mutate into a simpler Xitian name. Name is for others to use when identifying you, and if you help them by making it simple, they will appreciate it and use it; else it will only be part of your legal papers and not get used much.

As has been noted before, the Hindu community is not going to be judging you based on your name. In fact the only person judging you would be yourself. What will come out loud and clear to others would be your commitment, but I would not go so far as being 'quiet and reserved', as EMji has suggested.

Hope we gave you enough to chew on!

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 18 November 2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thread Information