Thread: Rate of ascent of Lagna.

Rate of ascent of Lagna.

Namaste All,

I have a little question that I hope that you might be kind enough to help me with.

I am trying to understand the time difference involved in the passing of each Lagna, are the time difference designated by a non linear scale or is this some thing which is relative, thus not directly perceivable?

Can you recommend a good star chart that I might be able to print out in order to mark out the Nakshatras and rasi; in order to better understand this phenomenon?

I have learnt of this from a Lecture given by Sangay Rath found on his web site here; there is an image in the second section "special ascendants".

Thank you kindly for your wisdom and knowledge.

praNAma

mana

Aum shri ganeshaya namah

Re: Rate of ascent of Lagna.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namast

lagna or lagnam - is defined as attached to ; that is, the rising sign at the moment of birth is attached to the horizon, attached to the native;
    from lag लग् - cling or attach one's self ; to meet , come in contact ; to take affect on + nam नम् to bow to , subject or submit , one's self.
    We know lagna is also called the ascendant.

What is interesting to note is the lagna lord. This is called lagna + īśa; lagna we defined above + īśa is owner, lord, ruler. When this is combined we have lagna + īśa = lagneśa ( by the rules of saṃdhi). Some jyotiṣa's also use the terms lagneśvara , or lagapati, some laganpa. I prefer lagneśa myself.

Consider this comparison. The lagna informs us of one's physical attributes , the body. The lagneśa is more of the intelligence, or the application of the intellect applied. Lagna is body, lagneśa is the intellect applied.

Visti Larsen , a śiṣya of Sanjay Rath, uses the following analogy: the lagna can be compared to a body moving down a street. It ( the body) can see others, objects, groceries, people, animals, etc. It ( the body) is separate from them, without interaction. When this body engages with others, with the environment, the lagneśa is now engaged, the intellect engages and interacts.

HDF posts - special lagna-s
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1669&highlight=lagna

Additional ideas ( more advanced concepts) :
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1675&highlight=lagna

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715&highlight=lagna
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=lagna

praṇām

words
    • saṃdhi - containing a conjunction or transition from one to the other ; these are pāṇini's grammar rules.
    • Sanjay Rath is one of the modern day luminaries (IMHO) of jyotiṣ; His paramparā is that of śṛi acyuta dās.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste yajvan,

Thank you so much for your reply; I must ask for you to excuse me as I think my in appropriate use of language has led to a small miss understanding.

I may be that I should have specified rAsi as opposed to Lagna; it is the different time for Lagna, the horizon, to pass through the different rAsi, which has caught my attention.

I was wondering if anybody has this kind of chart with the Jyotisa rAsi and the segments for the Nakshatras plotted along side or as an overlay.

I use a piece of software called Stellarium, to observe the planetary movement from the computer, it has different star laws written in as scripts but unfortunately there is not one available for Jyotisha.

There appears to be a marked difference between the Western signs and the rAsi.

praNAma

mana
    Attached Images Attached Images

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste yajvan,

There appears to be a marked difference between the Western signs and the rAsi.
    Yes, West and East are different. Your graph shows the path of the sun. The 27 nakṣatra's are the path of the moon. We find these in a pañcāṅga - meaning 5-limbed or 5-membered; we look at it as a calendar or almanac treating of 5 items: solar days , lunar days , nakṣatras, yoga-s and karaṇas.

Yet if you looked in an astronomy magazine you will see the path of the moon and its phases; what will not be called out will be the 27 nakṣatra's ( even though they are there).

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste yajvan,

I think I might try drawing one myself, it will help me to learn the nakṣatra's.

I have come to realise that the concept that I have been grapeling with, is that of; bhAva lagna, this has now finally made sense.

Can you help to enlighten me as to the origins of this concept, its relative age and author, it is quite a phenomenal feat of understanding and vision to have decreed this aspect of mAyA.

praNAma

mana

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Can you help to enlighten me as to the origins of this concept, its relative age and author, it is quite a phenomenal feat of understanding and vision to have decreed this aspect of mAyA.
    This work comes from the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra authored by the seer mahāṛṣi parāśar; He is one of the seers of the ṛg ( rig ) veda and considered the father of jyotish. If one is studying jyotish this work , brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra , is essential to one's learning. That said, it will not go indepth into the reasoning behind the various lagna-s. Other authors ( such as sanjay) take up that part for one's studies.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste all,

Thank you yajvan I am slowly studying the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra now.

I came across this today which brought me to think of this question, both black holes are in Siṃha and Kanyā; I should like to find which Nakshatras they correlate to.

A fascinating discovery; could this be the reason for the slowed rate of the accent of Lagna?

praNAma

mana

Thread Information