Thread: Territorial Spirit

Territorial Spirit

Vanakkam,

i just remember one things about Territorial Spirit

in chinesse folk, we are believe about Territorial Spirit, we call "Tu Di Gong" Tu Di is mean earth (territorial, not whole earth), Gong is mean Grandpa.
    But Tu Di Gong always enshrine together with Tu Di Po, Po is mean Grandmother, She is wife of Tu Di Gong.

Then, every territorial (street) have different Tu Di Gong
    then, who is Tu Di Gong ? he is not a Maha Deva, he is only beings like us, call him spirit who guard the street. But we believe this spirit have power to maintain grain, plant etc in their place, then influence us .

Sometimes some good peoples after dead, they will become territorial spirit by the command of Lord Indra (Chinesse call Lord Indra is Jade Emperor of Heaven who is command many deva and especially rain , lighting , win and many spirit in world like Tu di Gong , river gods and mountain gods)

Tu di gong is not same with Prthivi
    Tu di gong also like to get merit from us, when we chant mantra and do dedication for him, they will fell happy because they get light and blessing from God, to increase their power and position.

This worship is not to get salvation, but is more look like relationship with governement, Tu Di Gong also need our help to chanting and doing merit for them, etc, and he also like to help good people , especially help people who walk in path of Dharma, to support this peoples.

I want to know, in India have some part worship this kind of spirit ? what the name ? and what kind the ritual ?

so interesting

Thank you

This is Tu Di Gong : (look like Santa Claus)

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Territorial Spirit

Oh ,

i put it here "On Dharma" because want to know this kind of believe in India , and according to Hindu Dharma. Yes this beliefe is not about salvation.

But if this thread is must be posted in other room, please forgive me. Please help me to put this to the right place :P

But anyway i want to know this kind of ritual etc in India and esspecially Hindu Dharma.

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Vannakkam Shian: I beleive in this for all kinds of territories, including temples, and houses. Priests establish boundaries when they open a temple, for example. So although I don't think its formalised or ecognised in the way you speak of, I certainly believe it happens. Many wild animals are territorial, as are humans in certain situations, so it stands to reason beings on the astral plane (similar to the physical plane, but less dense) would have teritories as well.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam, thank you Eastern Mind

about territorial deity, or garma devata, i has search in internet

in Hinduism is use Great Deva, not territorial spirit

sometimes, Durga , or other form of Durga, and Kalabhairava, or Shiva etc become local deitys.

About spirit (not Great Deva) i also have found snake spirit as territotial deity. In Chinesse folk or culture religion, about animal as territorial deity, they use White Tiger, called Bai Hu Ye, or Grandpa White Tiger, the idol is also a tiger form, offerings is duck eeg, pork, rice wine and other ordinary offerings. Chinesse call themself as children or grandchildren of Naga (dragon), but in chinesse myth no any dragon give birth them, they are created by Indra and Nv Wa (Mother Goddess).

This is so interesting,

for spirit (local spirit) i only found Naga in India, the other maybe i dont know...

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Thread Information