Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change religion

Change religion

Hi dear all,

I like to change my religion. I have bought the bhagdavad gita an I like to know all about your religion. I'm from Germany and my name is Irina

My favorite god is shiva.

Please tell me what and when do you celebrate religios partys (sorry for my bad english). Tell me also what do you celebrate.

I like to become a good hindu. Tell me what I should do.

Sincerly yours Irina

Re: Change religion

Hi Irina! Welcome to the HDF,

I wouldn't want to criticize someone so early on "in the game" so to speak, but this concerns me a little. You wrote:

"I like to change my religion. I have bought the bhagdavad gita an I like to know all about your religion. I'm from Germany and my name is Irina"

Are you saying that you enjoy switching religions on a regular basis? Everyone's different, granted, but I don't think religion is such a light matter that one may spontaneously "shift gears" and continually go to this church/mosque/temple/synagogue merely for the fact that they offer different "thrills." This to me smacks of a kind of spiritual hedonism. I could be wrong, of course, you may just be that sort of sojourner, who knows? Please understand that I am not judging you, only offering some advice which may or may not be good. Personally, I think one should stick to one spiritual path and only change after a long and hard look at one's own values, motives, judgment calls, etc.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Namaste

I think Irina is using German way of saying "I like to change my religion" as in "I WOULD like to / wish to change my religion "

Welcome Irina
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste Irina.

If your interest lies in following Lord Shiva, Eastern Mind is your "go to" person in that regard. Most Shaivas (followers of Lord Shiva), if I understand correctly, don't follow the Bhagavad Gita heavily, if at all. The Bhagavad Gita is the highest scripture for those who follow Lord Vishnu/Krishna (Vaishnava).

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    "I like to change my religion. I have bought the bhagdavad gita an I like to know all about your religion. I'm from Germany and my name is Irina"

Are you saying that you enjoy switching religions on a regular basis?
    Putting on my pedantic hat, my guess is that she means "I would like...". Modals (would, could, should, can, may, might, shall, will) are a real bear for non-native English speakers, mostly because English uses them instead of conjugated verb forms. English has only past and non-past tenses; everything else is periphrastic.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Putting on my pedantic hat, my guess is that she means "I would like...". Modals (would, could, should, can, may, might, shall, will) are a real bear for non-native English speakers, mostly because English uses them instead of conjugated verb forms. English has only past and non-past tenses; everything else is periphrastic.
    Ah, of course.

::smacks head::

::smacks head::
    Yours for missing it, or mine for being so pedantic?

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Yours for missing it, or mine for being so pedantic?

Both.

Both.
    Works for me!

Converting to Hinduism is a lifetime endeavor.

Hinduism has a plethora of philosophical and religious lines, it is a universe in its own, a very truth-full one.

I've been guiding my inner life through Hinduism for 8 years (even though my active search began for not more than a year) and I cannot call myself Hindu nor I have the pretention to call myself anytime soon. Specially us, westerners, with formations disconnected from those symbols. We should thread carefully and discover our own way to deal with them.

So my point of view is: do not illude yourself with ideals of conversion. Being Hindu is a natural internal process of assimilation of this age old tradition of self-knowledge. Explore it with the joy of getting closer and closer to your Self.

Oh, I`m very sorry, I've ment: "I would like to change my religon."

And I don't like to change my religion on the pasport, it isn't nesescarry what's stand their.

I like to change religion from my heart, because I love Vishnu so much. I've bought a statue of him and a picture for my wall. It's still on transport. If I've got it I'll give him to eat every day.

I like the hinduism religion, and so I've got to read the baghdava gita.

I like to pray at Vishnu, but I don't know how to pray. I like to celebrate for Vishnu, but I don't know when.

Oh dear, please help me, I've found so much about hinduism, but nothing what can help me.

Sincerly, your's Irina

Thread Information