Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 noble truths

4 noble truths

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I watched a video by Robert A.F. Thurman¹ . He spoke of buddhism. I must say I gained a new insight into this approach, this dharma.

He spoke of many things as it was several hours in length, yet the one idea that was most rewarding was catvāri āryasatyāni, we know as the 4 noble truths of buddhism.

What was most insightful was the time Mr. Thurman gave to framing the noble truths properly. A key word in catvāri āryasatyāni is ārya. This word means respectable, honorable, a master, being wise. And we know of this word satyā means truth, reality, it also means certainly, really.

Hence these noble truths are above the notion of being propositional statements or assertions ( some say creeds). They are how one established in Reality ( such as the Buddha) sees what is going on in the world of men.
    As one that has been lifted up past the field of the 3 guna-s, one sees others that are tangled up in the world. Hence the 4 noble truths as perceived by the enlightened are:
    1. Suffering does exist - what is implied is suffering exists for the ignorant
    2. This suffering has an origin and arises from attachment to desires
    3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
    4. Freedom from suffering is possible by the proper path
    Hence just by the proper explanation of one word ārya a whole new view is offered to the reader, the aspirant on the path.

praṇām

references:
    Robert A.F. Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies in the Department of Religion at Columbia University, President of the Tibet House U.S., a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Tibetan civilization, and President of the American Institute of Buddhist Studies, a non-profit affiliated with the Center for Buddhist Studies at Columbia University and dedicated
    to the publication of translations of important texts from the Tibetan Tanjur.
    Last edited by yajvan; 29 November 2011 at 04:21 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

2. Re: 4 noble truths

I think the supporters of Christian made AIT should also oppose Buddha and Buddhism for powering on Aryan Truths.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Re: 4 noble truths

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    I think the supporters of Christian made AIT should also oppose Buddha and Buddhism for powering on Aryan Truths.
    What is AIT ? And what is 'powering on Aryan truths' ? That is what does this mean, infer ?

Yet if the message is to 'oppose' it is not for me.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

4. Re: 4 noble truths

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

What is AIT ? And what is 'powering on Aryan truths' ? That is what does this mean, infer ?

Yet if the message is to 'oppose' it is not for me.

praām

This is same Maxmullar's Bible based theory who claimed Aryan Invasion. AIT. Buddha's 4 noble truths were Aryan Truth or Ary Truth. There are many Buddhists who support AIT for opposing Dharma, but they hardly oppose Buddha for powering on 'आर्य सत्य'.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Vannakkam Yajvan: My wife picked up one of his books called "Circling the Sacred Mountain' for 10 cents at a garage sale. I haven't read it, but she enjoyed it. For those who don't know, he is Uma Thurman's (Hollywood actress) father. (Not that that means anything.)

Aum Namasivaya

Could not dwell in this way of thinking.

I am very grateful for SD and its more advanced ways of dealing with suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Yajvan: My wife picked up one of his books called "Circling the Sacred Mountain' for 10 cents at a garage sale. I haven't read it, but she enjoyed it. For those who don't know, he is Uma Thurman's (Hollywood actress) father. (Not that that means anything.)

Aum Namasivaya
    Sounds interestingly about Beloved Kailash?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    This is same Maxmullar's Bible based theory who claimed Aryan Invasion. AIT. Buddha's 4 noble truths were Aryan Truth or Ary Truth. There are many Buddhists who support AIT for opposing Dharma, but they hardly oppose Buddha for powering on 'आर्य सत्य'.
    I have read some of Max Mueller's translations, yet have no ill feelings towards him.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 01 December 2011 at 02:36 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Regarding buddhism, I am delighted to see the interconnectedness it has with sanātana dharma. The buddhists I have met have been very humane, reverent, and have the greatest respect for other beings on this earth.

Their view of reality is quite robust, a little different then my views and what I was taught, yet my teacher said their knowlege and view was complete. Once you look 'under the hood' we can see this.

In no way do I find this teaching subordinate or less worthy of respect. As one studies, questions, experiences and observes the world what bubbles to the top is less and less diversity. Sama begins to show her face in all things.

praām

1. sama - is even-ness, balance; some like to say it this way sa+mā = together with lakṣmi , happy , prosperous
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Sounds interestingly about Beloved Kailash?
    Vannakkam Naya: Yes, it was about Kailash, basically a travelogue with lots of physical, emotional, and karmic trials. He was also very instrumental in the bringing of the Dalai Lama to America the first time.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information