Thread: Namaste

Namaste

Namaste, I am new to Hinduism. I decided I wanted to become Hindu in August, then took some thinking time before moving into the whole religion--a few weeks ago. I used to follow many religions (at different times of course), for awhile I was Lutheran, Baptist, and whatever my parents believed as a child, the whole Christian religion is fine but I didn't want a book that had chapters missing or added for each sect, so I became more of the New Age/Wiccan hippie belief, you know all the spiritual healing, again it didn't settle with me for awhile, so I became Muslim again, it didn't seem accepting. Finally after asking the question before I went to bed, I ended up having a dream about Ganesha, and that basically set me to exactly where I needed to go.

Now here I am as a new Hindu, but getting a lot of anger from old fellow Muslims about the fact that I "lack knowledge" and well picked a bad religion for a female--give or take it hurts a ton, and it shouldn't that I feel like I'm being looked at like I'm a monster for going with my heart and dreams. Anyways, I am actually very happy being a Hindu.

I have recieved a few books from ISKCON but there's not enough for me to get immersed.

The few things I am still confused on is praying and what exactly to do when and how to do it.

So any help, preferably from a female (I just feel better talking to another woman) about how things go and what not.

Thanks for reading,
    Kalyanna (Jennifer)

Re: Namaste

Hello Jennifer:

Look like you have had a whirlwind tour of nearly every religion out there!

It is interesting to note that you were an ex-Muslim. I would guess not many Muslims may be interested in Hinduism.

In any case we have another ex-Muslim here, user SpiritualSeeker.

As regards Hinduism's treatment of women, one needs to be able to not confuse correlation with causation. For instance, in many places in India there is still discrimination against the girl child.

My understanding here is that this is more a result of illiteracy and poverty rather than Hinduism. The male child is considered the bread winner and capable of taking care of parents in old-age while the female child will eventually walk into someone else's home as a home maker, etc.

Such beliefs are changing in many places in India as girls enter the workforce and become more independent.

Plus, as you may already know, there is no single straitjacket version of Hinduism. There is no temple that decrees this is what Hindus have to do and not do. It doesnt have a single set of beliefs. Plus, it has an innate tendency to be very flexible and is capable of adjusting to societal conditions at multiple places.

So, in your interaction with Hindus, you are likely to come across some bigots, some rational, some conservative and some liberal folks. But nearly all of them will not wear their religion on their sleeve and will more or less be okay with the path you have chosen.

We simply have too many Gods to fight over.

Hari Om and welcome to the forums.

Hari OM,

Namaste Jennifer. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I think you will find that there are members who will be of much help to you. I look forward to your postings.

Jai Hanuman.

FFTW

Welcome to HDF, Jennifer.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Welcome Jennifer !!

Do not let the questions clutter your mind and confuse you.

Come out with the questions one by one. There are plenty here to provide answers from different perspective of Hinduism. Choose whatever suits you best at this point of time and move on.

Life is a journey and the state of knowledge changes and also the maturity. We all are learning. Ofcourse we also share a lot !!

Have a nice fruitful stay here.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Namaste, I am new to Hinduism. I decided I wanted to become Hindu in August, then took some thinking time before moving into the whole religion--a few weeks ago. I used to follow many religions (at different times of course), for awhile I was Lutheran, Baptist, and whatever my parents believed as a child, the whole Christian religion is fine but I didn't want a book that had chapters missing or added for each sect, so I became more of the New Age/Wiccan hippie belief, you know all the spiritual healing, again it didn't settle with me for awhile, so I became Muslim again, it didn't seem accepting. Finally after asking the question before I went to bed, I ended up having a dream about Ganesha, and that basically set me to exactly where I needed to go.

Now here I am as a new Hindu, but getting a lot of anger from old fellow Muslims about the fact that I "lack knowledge" and well picked a bad religion for a female--give or take it hurts a ton, and it shouldn't that I feel like I'm being looked at like I'm a monster for going with my heart and dreams. Anyways, I am actually very happy being a Hindu.

I have recieved a few books from ISKCON but there's not enough for me to get immersed.

The few things I am still confused on is praying and what exactly to do when and how to do it.

So any help, preferably from a female (I just feel better talking to another woman) about how things go and what not.

Thanks for reading,
    Kalyanna (Jennifer)
    Vannakkam again Jennifer: Himalayan Academy (the one in Hawaii, not the one centered in the Himalayas has a lot of resources written in modern American English. Its a good place to find a lot of information.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Jennifer,

Pleased to meet you, welcome to HDF.
    I am sure that Ganesha will clear a path for you to the wisdom that you seek.

praNAma

mana

Aum Shri Ganeshaya Namah...

Thread Information