Thread: Fasting for Satyanarayana Puja?

Fasting for Satyanarayana Puja?

I'd like to go (to temple) this coming Saturday @ 4pm for the puja, if the day doesn't turn to poopies, as my weekends tend to. Does one fast, or is this information "over the top"?

Satyanarayan Puja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Puja (Prayer) Vidhi (performing method)
    The Satyanarayan Puja is performed in reverence to the Narayan form of Lord Vishnu. The Lord in this form is considered an embodiment of truth.

Performing this puja in the evening is considered more appropriate. However one can do it in the morning as well. On the day of the puja, the devotee has to fast. After bathing the person can begin the puja.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Fasting for Satyanarayana Puja?

Hari Om!

Fasting for the Lord is never "over the top", but as a friend of mine stated, just don't fast every day for every God - not healthy to say the least!

You know of course that there are several great posts on fasting here on HDF - please avail yourself of them if you undertake the fast, which I highly suggest. You will feel energized and connected like never before in addition to allowing your body's systems to rest from food and digestion for some time which I believe it truly needs. I try to fast once a week for Lord Hanuman and feel His divine blessings as a result.

All the best.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Fasting for the Lord is never "over the top", but as a friend of mine stated, just don't fast every day for every God - not healthy to say the least!
    Oh, I was referring to the article, not to fasting itself. Sometimes information gets a little confusing and conflicting. I do the Ekadasi fasts. In fact, Monday 12/5 is Ekadasi, then also on 12/20.

You know of course that there are several great posts on fasting here on HDF - please avail yourself of them if you undertake the fast, which I highly suggest.
    I'll check. Thanks. I should have checked first.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    I'd like to go (to temple) this coming Saturday @ 4pm for the puja, if the day doesn't turn to poopies, as my weekends tend to. Does one fast, or is this information "over the top"?

Satyanarayan Puja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Namaste,

If you are ( guest) just joining the Satyanarayan Katha, at the temple then you need not to fast, but if you are the host of the Katha, I mean to say that you asked priest to do Satyanarayan Katha then it is better to fast. May be priest himself will say you to fast.

One can be a host to the Katha by paying their dakshina as listed in your puja list.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Namaste AmIHindu.

Thanks. Yes, it would be at the temple, done by the pujari(s). I would be just attending.

Thread Information