Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like I have to defend being Hindu big time

Feeling like I have to defend being Hindu big time

Here I am, a new Hindu, embarking on a new journey of my life. The biggest journey or so it feels to me. As I am embarking on the journey I'm getting cannon ball type of remarks from people that I feel are ignorant and almost, at the top of someone's head.

For my life history fact, I was Muslim before I was Hindu, and New Age before I was Hindu, an a ton of other religions way before that. The religion that keeps getting in my way sending me this cannon ball type ammo is the Muslims. I'm not anti-Muslim nor will I ever be, but I do not take it nicely to be told that since I switched religions that now I'm "lacking knowlege" or that a woman is a subservant slave to her husband and I'm unknowleged about Hinduism is unfair. Give or take yes I've only really known about Hinduism for 4 months or so, meaning I only have a little teeny slice of the pie not like the whole pie, but I do know what the religous pie tastes like and what I am being told is a bunch of lies and stories.

Give or take I did have to explain that subservant to a husband doesn't mean being a husband's slave. The best way to back that up I gave...I know it was bad now I need to actually explain myself was, the Gods, they have wives to aid them and help them. The God's wives are not like prized bulls if you would say that with a golden ring in their noses being drug around. They are as equal as they can be. So now the question I am asked, is "Why would a God need a wife?" Yes, I don't want to say, "That was already answered to prove that women have some status." So now I'm sitting here stumbling for answers, for a light.

What I'm really saying is, I'm happy bing Hindu, and like to shout it from roof top to roof top. A good part of me is wanting to sit in a corner, and keep my mouth shut because being new to the whole belief system I can't stand for my beliefs the way I know they are, not what someone has read or heard on TV. I just want to sit in a corner and cry. This isn't going to shake my belief--no way. I became Hindu because of a dream of Ganesha when I was religiously confused, I knew that was all I needed to tell me, "Hey you, this is the road that is best suited for you." So I'm not going to sway, but at the same time, I'm afraid to even be myself around others I used to know--well in this case people inviting me to a Muslim event all the way in London (I'm in the United States for crying outloud).

Re: Feeling like I have to defend being Hindu big time

Vannakkam Jennifer: Welcome to these forums. I think there are a lot of people here on HDF who have experienced similar thoughts from similar experiences. Personally, I gave up on others 'understanding' it a long time ago. The kindergarten child won't get calculus. So you go your merry way, dropping some friends or acquaintances, and finding new ones. Such is life. Is there at least a Hindu temple nearby where you can find Ganesha, now that He's found you? In my experiences, He can help out with this kind of stuff.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Jennifer.

The only person(s) you have to account to for your beliefs is yourself, and possibly your husband. If he understands your new-found faith, there is no one you need account or explain to. And of course, to show your devotion to your Ishtadevata. If your husband doesn't understand, well, it wouldn't be the first or last marriage with a religious conflict!

My family (brothers, sisters, their kids) have no idea I've embraced Sanatana Dharma, nor will they, to the best of my ability. Am I embarrassed? No, but I don't want to deal with the ignorant mockery.

Them: "What, now you're Indian? Hahaha, you were always weird".

Me: "Oh, are you Hebrew that you follow an Orthodox Jew?" (we're Italian-American, and they are Catholic when it's convenient or necessary ).

I don't need it. They won't understand, and no one pays my bills, so I don't need to account to anyone except Sri Krishna.

So, welcome to the Converts To Hinduism Being Mocked Club.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Jennifer...a mullah would try to hurt your feelings and tell you lies.

But, in all the world only two religions come to my mind when I think of women as slaves...One would be branch of mormons like warren jeffs. But, mainly islam.

So for them to say Hinduism is male dominated is so ugh! a lie.

The reason islam have no women as a Beloved example of Divinity is because women are as dogs to them. In Hinduism Beloved comes as man and woman!

Some Hindu worship the Beloved Mother Shakti almost exclusively.

The question is...why would not God "Beloved" want a wife???

Beloved Loves us all, every single one! Come listen to the story...

One day Brahma sit in the wonderful ocean...and he kept making human over and over again! He call upon Beloved which is known as Shiva, a Great Lord and he ask Shiva... I make these human so much! I do not wish to be busy like this making over and over!

So Shiva split! into a beautiful Form right in front of him. Male and female!

Siva Parvati icon.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardhanarishvara

In Book XIII, Upamanyu praises Shiva rhetorically asking if there is anyone else whose half-body is shared by his spouse, and adds that the universe had risen from the union of sexes, as represented by Shiva's half-female form. In some narratives, Shiva is described as dark and fair-complexioned, half yellow and half white, half woman and half man, and both woman and man. In Book XIII, Shiva preaches to Parvati that half of his body is made up of her body.

There is also a much deeper meaning to this union. The one of Creation itself...
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 01 December 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: ugh spelling:P

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste Jennifer.

The only person(s) you have to account to for your beliefs is yourself, and possibly your husband. If he understands your new-found faith, there is no one you need account or explain to. And of course, to show your devotion to your Ishtadevata. If your husband doesn't understand, well, it wouldn't be the first or last marriage with a religious conflict!

My family (brothers, sisters, their kids) have no idea I've embraced Sanatana Dharma, nor will they, to the best of my ability. Am I embarrassed? No, but I don't want to deal with the ignorant mockery.

Them: "What, now you're Indian? Hahaha, you were always weird".

Me: "Oh, are you Hebrew that you follow an Orthodox Jew?" (we're Italian-American, and they are Catholic when it's convenient or necessary ).

I don't need it. They won't understand, and no one pays my bills, so I don't need to account to anyone except Sri Krishna.

So, welcome to the Converts To Hinduism Being Mocked Club.
    Thanks my husban being Buddhist is very understanding of my beliefs though sometimes they're a bit "silly," well the only thing he thinks is silly is the whole, I can't wear white or red...(unless I was fed the wrong infromation)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Jennifer: Welcome to these forums. I think there are a lot of people here on HDF who have experienced similar thoughts from similar experiences. Personally, I gave up on others 'understanding' it a long time ago. The kindergarten child won't get calculus. So you go your merry way, dropping some friends or acquaintances, and finding new ones. Such is life. Is there at least a Hindu temple nearby where you can find Ganesha, now that He's found you? In my experiences, He can help out with this kind of stuff.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya
    The nearest Temple is basically an hour drive away I went to visit it only twice before I converted. I know i was told not to trust just my emotions but it was the first place ever I walked into that I wanted to cry because of the acceptence beauty and something deeper.

Hari Om!

Yes, NayaSurya gives a good explanation and an excellent link.

I've always been told that a female is the power behind a male, both in terms of humans and the Gods. Without the female form, the male cannot advance forward on his own - he needs the shakti, the energy of woman.

Perhaps you could think of it in the human form as thus. Woman is often the keeper of home while man goes out into the world to earn a living for family. She supports and empowers him to no end. Of course this has changed over the years as women have felt empowered and left the home to seek careers of their own, sometimes while still keeping household, sometimes not. But, I would always argue that woman is in a nurturing and supportive role - a mother none the less. Please don't take this out of context. I am not saying that woman is inferior in any way.

Please don't take the comments of others personally. Ignorance doesn't have a home when truth prevails.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

namste and welcome Jennifer.
    Many western women have embraced SD last several decades, but may not be open about it. Google western hindu, white hindu, also hindu etc and follow chain blogs given on the home page. Many wo/men run their own hindu blogs. For us the born brown hindus it is a very enjoyable development to welcome both men and women into our dharma, which by the way is not 'our' but was meant to be everyone's faith all along.

9. Re: Feeling like I have to defend being Hindu big time

Hinduism is Dharma and Dharma is supreme without any difference.

Last edited by PARAM; 01 December 2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Jai Maa
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thanks NS for the story. As you will be aware the two parts are essentially the definition of Brahman.

Shiva the consciousness and Shakti the matter.

In Shakti we have the maya, the forms and names what we see, feel, perceive. In Shakti, we see the constant changes from manifestation to unmanifestation. Chaning of forms, colours, etc - depicted in the story of Durga and Mahisasura.

Inherent to all these, whatever we see, feel, perceive is the consciousness or Shiva.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thread Information