Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head coverings...or not?

Head coverings...or not?

Namasté, all, For the last week, I've been in Puducherry and worshipping daily at a small temple near where I'm staying. I remember reading that it was modest and respectful to cover the head at temple, but last night, I wore a headscarf there and was instructed by the priest (through gestures) to remove it. Anyone know why this might be? Is it a southern thing, perhaps, or did I read wrong? I'd ask someone there, but I don't know Tamil and have encountered few folk who speak English. It's not that important, but I'm curious...
    Last edited by Arjuni; 03 December 2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Spacing all screwy on this computer, doh!

Re: Head coverings...or not?

Namaste Indra,

After scratching my head for a few minutes, (and in the process, losing some of the remaining hair on my head ) I came to the conclusion that the priest might have interpreted that to be a western fashion statement not fit for the temple, or a muslim garb, or ..... ? It is baffling to know what was asked of you. But I am sure it was something that the priest did not understand/like at a personal level and was not a general breaking of the commonly applied temple visiting rules. I would just let it go.

Glad to know that you are spending your time in spiritual persuits in TN.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namasté, all, For the last week, I've been in Puducherry and worshipping daily at a small temple near where I'm staying. I remember reading that it was modest and respectful to cover the head at temple, but last night, I wore a headscarf there and was instructed by the priest (through gestures) to remove it. Anyone know why this might be? Is it a southern thing, perhaps, or did I read wrong? I'd ask someone there, but I don't know Tamil and have encountered few folk who speak English. It's not that important, but I'm curious...
    Could be south indian temple etiquette, though never heard of this specific instruction. But in south india women don't cover their head and face like in north india ~ which is nothing respectful, but just a short step from hijab from which it must have been adopted.

Women, I knew need to tie their hair and men generally are often allowed only in dhoti and only without upper garments.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Vannakkam Indra: I think the others are right. It is a South Indian thing. The priest probably saw it as a hat. I've yet to see a South Indian women wear a head scarf. I did see it at Rameswaram, but that was because Rameswaram is a pilgrimage location for many north Indians.

Its just what you're familiar with. The first time I went to a North India temple, I thought it had been invaded by Sikhs or Moslems.

At the temple here, you don't see it much, but no preist of devotee would ever ask somebody to remove it, because we accommodate to everyone within certain limits. The didtribution of vibhuthi is another example. South Indians invariably take it in their hand while North Indians like the priest to use his thumb to put it on their foreheads. This took some getting used to for the priests, but they have adapted well.

At a small temple like you're describing, it is even more likely a North Indian has never entered the place, so the priest may not even know the custom.

BTW, are you having fun yet?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    The first time I went to a North India temple, I thought it had been invaded by Sikhs or Moslems.
    Too many dupatta/sari covered heads for you?

In the South, many peasant women don't bother with a blouse/choli to go along with their saris. They just drape the loose end of the sari over the top part of their bodies. Is that an acceptable dress code for entering a temple in the South? Just curious!
    Last edited by Believer; 03 December 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks for the quick replies, all, as I was hoping to learn a bit more before leaving here.

I didn't mention that it had happened once already; I was motioned to remove my headscarf the first day I entered the temple, by a woman making garlands at the entrance. I forgot and wore the scarf back again, and that was when the priest instructed me. So it is a rule of this particular temple, at least, and now that I think about it, I haven't seen many (Hindu) women in this region covering their heads.

EM, I am definitely having fun now and will be sorry to leave. The final itinerary ended up being Panauti-Kathmandu-Bangalore-Chennai-Puducherry, and I am scheduled to return to Delhi in two days to fly back to Canada.

And Believer, I'll be curious to know an answer to your question as well. I have yet to see any ladies dressed that way, in temple or outside of it, but have read of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    I have yet to see any ladies dressed that way, in temple or outside of it.
    That's because anyone who can afford an upper garment does not dress that way anymore in India - this has nothing to do with south india as was suggested.

If you are in poor or tribal parts of India you are likely still find women dressed in this fashion - but that would be same in east-west or south India, not specific to south India.

It was common to the time of my grandparents, and I am not from south india.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

In the South, many peasant women don't bother with a blouse/choli to go along with their saris. They just drape the loose end of the sari over the top part of their bodies. Is that an acceptable dress code for entering a temple in the South? Just curious!
    Vannakkam Believer: In my two trips throuh TN, I never saw it, although I don't doubt it exists, but most likely poverty is the reason, not custom. My wife also saw it in rural Sri Lanka in 1982. Also in the South, my daughter and I only once noticed a girl without earrings (excluding the very young), but I'm sure its poverty related not culture related.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

I have seen some at the temple at Gokarna. But I think it is an exception as the women belong to a local community called Halakki Vokkaligas. Pallus are something I've never seen.
    kuladalli keeLyavudO hucchhappa?
    matadalli mElyavudO?
    huTTi saayuva haaLu mansa mansaana madhye keeLyavudu melyavdO

Namaste,

..It was common to the time of my grandparents...
    Dang, have I gotten that old?
    I saw it first hand in a village on the outskirts of Chennai, many years ago.

EM, Yava, Thanks for the info.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 03 December 2011 at 02:55 PM.

Thread Information