Thread: Devotee offerings

Devotee offerings

Just read a really good artical/book http://vedabase.com/en/pqpa/6

It talked about a perfect devotee etc and I have a question which hopfully someone can help me with.

If a non-devotee cooks a meal like my mum for a sample (although she is religious in her own way) can I still offer that to Krishna even though it was cooked by a non-devotee?

"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."] "Because it has been offered to Me with devotion and love"—that is required. Therefore we do not allow anyone to cook who is not a devotee. Kṛṣṇa does not accept anything from the hands of a nondevotee. Why should He accept? He is not hungry. He does not require any food. He accepts only the devotion, that's all. That is the main point. So one has to become a devotee. Not a good cook. But if he is a devotee, then he will be a good cook also. Automatically he will become a good cook. Therefore one has to become a devotee only. Then all other good qualifications will automatically be there. And if he is a nondevotee, any good qualifications have no value. He is on the mental plane, so he has no good qualification"

From my understanding, it's the thought that counts but will it still be accepted even if the devotee wasn't the cook? 

And how do you send offerings? Such as meals? And how can I offer to Krishna food when my family (mostly my mum) who has a closed minded view on other peoples beliefs? That's the hardest part of this spiritual journey. Right now I'm just studing what I can and I found that Krishna is the one I want to  be with.  
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Re: Devotee offerings

You are such a very sweet heart<3

When I was very young, and also fear others would think me crazy for offering my food to Beloved, I would take it out to a special place I created between three red bushes and pray in the hidden shelter created by their girth. I offered fruit, oranges, berries, bananas. Nuts...anything I was given special such as chocolate

So, you could use such things, do not worry about the cooking part or making it a full meal. You can offer a wonderful orange and she would never have to become troubled.<3

Thank you =]

So once the offering is made, I just leave what ever it is to the birds etc? (if the offering is set outside)

anything I was given special such as chocolate
    Lol, what happend to the chocolate afterwards? I don't know if I could go that far without eating it myself  

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    If a non-devotee cooks a meal like my mum for a sample (although she is religious in her own way) can I still offer that to Krishna even though it was cooked by a non-devotee? ... He is not hungry. He does not require any food. He accepts only the devotion, that's all. ... From my understanding, it's the thought that counts but will it still be accepted even if the devotee wasn't the cook? ... And how do you send offerings? Such as meals? And how can I offer to Krishna food when my family (mostly my mum) who has a closed minded view on other peoples beliefs? That's the hardest part of this spiritual journey. Right now I'm just studing what I can and I found that Krishna is the one I want to be with.
    Some staunch and strict Vaishnavas (mostly ISKCONers) offer everything they eat to Krishna first, then consume it as prasad. Some will not let anyone else cook the food, risking that it be done in a non-sattvic way. Then there are some liberal and less-than-observant Vaishnavas that offer only a few things, or don't do it at all. Now, these are things I've read.

Yes, Krishna is beyond the need to eat or being offended if you make a mistake. You can always say the prayer "O Lord forgive my wrong actions, done knowingly or unknowingly, either through my organs of action, or through my organs of perception, or by my mind. Glory unto thee O Lord Who is the ocean of kindness". I believe it's the devotion, and done in the right frame of mind of love that's important. I cannot imagine Krishna wrinkling His nose and saying "eeeewww!" if your offering is not perfect.

To actually make the offering, before eating, set aside a portion and say "Lord, please accept this humble offering", or say the Mahamantra, or Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya. Leave it for a few moments, then eat it.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Lol, what happend to the chocolate afterwards? I don't know if I could go that far without eating it myself
    Lord Krishna looooves His sweets. Enjoy what He enjoys.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hari Om!

From the article that you reference above:

Śrīla Prabhupāda: No, if made sincerely with devotion, then Kṛṣṇa will like it. Just like Vidura. Vidura was feeding Kṛṣṇa bananas, but he was so absorbed in thought that he was throwing away the real bananas and he was giving Kṛṣṇa the skin, and Kṛṣṇa was eating. [All laugh] Kṛṣṇa knew that he was giving in devotion, and Kṛṣṇa can eat anything, provided there is devotion. It does not matter whether it is materially tasteful or not. Similarly, a devotee also takes Kṛṣṇa prasāda, whether it is materially tasteful or not. We should accept everything.
    A devotee: But if the devotion is not there, like in India...
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: If devotion is not there, He doesn't like any food, either tasteful or not tasteful. He does not accept it.
    A devotee: In India... Somebody—
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: Oh, India, India. Don't talk of India! Talk of philosophy. If there is not devotion, Kṛṣṇa does not accept anything, either in India or in your country. Lord Kṛṣṇa is not obliged to accept anything costly because it is very tasty. Kṛṣṇa has very many tasteful dishes in Vaikuṇṭha. He is not hankering after your food. He accepts your devotion, bhakti. The real thing is devotion, not the food. Kṛṣṇa does not accept any food of this material world. He accepts only the devotion.
    patraṁ puṣpaṁ phalaṁ toyaṁ
    yo me bhaktyā prayacchati
    tad ahaṁ bhakty-upahṛtam
    aśnāmi prayatātmanaḥ
    [Bg. 9.26]
    ["If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."] "Because it has been offered to Me with devotion and love"—that is required. Therefore we do not allow anyone to cook who is not a devotee. Kṛṣṇa does not accept anything from the hands of a nondevotee. Why should He accept? He is not hungry. He does not require any food. He accepts only the devotion, that's all. That is the main point. So one has to become a devotee. Not a good cook. But if he is a devotee, then he will be a good cook also. Automatically he will become a good cook. Therefore one has to become a devotee only. Then all other good qualifications will automatically be there. And if he is a nondevotee, any good qualifications have no value. He is on the mental plane, so he has no good qualification. [There is a long pause in the conversation.]
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: And the time?
    Śyāmasundara: Six o'clock.
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: Questions and answers are required. They are beneficial to all.
    Bob: I still have a question on the prasāda.
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: Sūta Gosvāmī says:
    munayaḥ sādhu pṛṣṭo 'haṁ
    bhavadbhir loka-maṅgalam
    yat kṛtaḥ kṛṣṇa-sampraśno
    yenātmā suprasīdati
    [SB 1.2.5]
    ["O sages, I have been justly questioned by you. Your questions are worthy because they relate to Lord Kṛṣṇa and so are relevant to the world's welfare. Only questions of this sort are capable of completely satisfying the self."] Kṛṣṇa-sampraśnaḥ, that is very good. When you discuss and hear, that is loka-maṅgalam, auspicious for everyone. Both the questions and the answers.
    Bob: I still do not understand so much about prasāda. But if you like I'll think about it and ask you again tomorrow.
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: Prasāda is always prasāda. But because we are not elevated sufficiently, therefore we do not like some prasāda.
    Bob: I found specifically that what I mean—that some are too spicy, and it hurts my stomach.
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: Well... That is also due to not appreciating, but the cook should have consideration. Kṛṣṇa must be offered first-class foodstuffs. So if he offers something last class, he is not performing his duty. But Kṛṣṇa can accept anything if it is offered by a devotee, and a devotee can accept any prasāda, even if it is spicy. Hiraṇyakaśipu gave his son poison [and the son offered it to Kṛṣṇa], and the son drank it as nectar. So even if it is spicy to others, taste, it is very palatable to the devotee. What is the question of spicy? He was offered poison, real poison. And Pūtanā Rākṣasī—she also offered Kṛṣṇa poison. But Kṛṣṇa is so nice that He thought, "She took Me as My mother," so He took the poison and delivered her. Kṛṣṇa does not take the bad side. A good man does not take the bad side—he takes only the good side. Just like one of my big Godbrothers—he wanted to make business with my Guru Mahārāja [spiritual master], but my Guru Mahārāja did not take the bad side. He took the good side. He thought, "He has come forward to give me some service."
    Bob: Business with your—what was that? Business with who?
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: I am talking about my Guru Mahārāja.
    Bob: Oh, I see. I have another question on prasāda, if I may. Let us say some devotee has some trouble and does not eat a certain type of food-like some devotees do not eat ghee because of liver trouble. So these devotees, should they take all the prasāda?
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: No, no. Those who are not perfect devotees may discriminate. But a perfect devotee does not discriminate. Why should you imitate a perfect devotee? So long as you have discrimination, you are not a perfect devotee. So why should you artificially imitate a perfect devotee and eat everything?
    Bob: Oh.
    Śrīla Prabhupāda: The point is, a perfect devotee does not make any discrimination. Whatever is offered to Kṛṣṇa is nectar. That's all. Kṛṣṇa accepts anything from a devotee. "Whatever is offered to Me by My devotee," He accepts. The same thing for a devotee. Don't you see the point? A perfect devotee does not make any discrimination. But if I am not a perfect devotee and I have discrimination, why shall I imitate the perfect devotee? It may not be possible for me to digest everything because I am not a perfect devotee. A devotee should not be a foolish man. It is said:
    kṛṣṇa ye bhaje se baḍa catura
    So a devotee knows his position, and he is intelligent enough to deal with others accordingly.
    I can't say that I truly agree here. IMHO, anything offered to the Lord is accepted as long as it is done with love and devotion. It all belongs to Him anyway. The non-devotee also belongs to the Lord - is it not so?

A simple prayer "Lord, I know that I am not worthy and all belongs to you, but please accept this offering as a sign of my love and devotion to You. May I have your blessings now and always."

May I also suggest the book "A Higher Taste - A Guide To Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet" available through ISKCON temples or online through sources like Amazon.com. Chapters 5 - 7 are especially beneficial in answer to your query. On a side note, the Vegetable Quiche listed in the older edition is superb - truly one of my favorites.

I hope that some of this has made sense.

All the best -

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Thank you for the helpful replys ^_^

@ C. smith
    I'll try look into that sometime. Gotta leave home for that one first cause I eat what ever is giving to me lol >_>
    heck even tho my mum is a "christain" she still eats pork even tho the bible forbids it <_< but then again she only knows what ever her masters (watch tower) tells her..

Thank you =]

So once the offering is made, I just leave what ever it is to the birds etc? (if the offering is set outside)

Sorry it took so long to reply, have been so busy.

A wonderful thing happened the other day which made me come post to you. I gave Beloved a pint of Black berries. These are some of my most favorite things and I gave him my very last pint to show how much I do Love Him<3

Well...later when I gave the berries to the starving winter flocks of birds I sat in my meditation room at the large windows which flank the sides (it's shaped as a tower) and suddenly a true Eastern Bluebird (the bluebird of happiness) flew up and ate from Beloved's berries!

It's a rare site here in winter, mostly Robins brave the cold on our hill...in fact this is the first Eastern Blue Bird I have seen since we moved to our home. It was a very sweet nudge from Beloved.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Sorry it took so long to reply, have been so busy.

A wonderful thing happened the other day which made me come post to you. I gave Beloved a pint of Black berries. These are some of my most favorite things and I gave him my very last pint to show how much I do Love Him<3

Well...later when I gave the berries to the starving winter flocks of birds I sat in my meditation room at the large windows which flank the sides (it's shaped as a tower) and suddenly a true Eastern Bluebird (the bluebird of happiness) flew up and ate from Beloved's berries!

It's a rare site here in winter, mostly Robins brave the cold on our hill...in fact this is the first Eastern Blue Bird I have seen since we moved to our home. It was a very sweet nudge from Beloved.
    thank you for coming to share your cool expirance with me/us ^^
    expirance's like that are very rare =D

Thread Information