Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembering...

Remembering...

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Within hinduism there are many customs... we see many people wearing mālā-s ( a string of beads), some wear marks on the forehead ( tilaka ) various ornaments within the ears or nose, etc. all these things.

What are they for ? For people new to this darśana¹ it is appealing to participate; to be part of the group that makes one feel included, feel 'hindu' , no ?

But why are these things worn ? Many people may wear various things and are not certain of the intent. They may see it as fasionable e.g. a bindu or bindi on the forehead.

I will tell you with great certainty - nothing is random. Let me boil all the reasons down to one... remembering.

It is to remember the Supreme, to remember one's relationship to the Supreme. To remember to do one's sādhana, or devotion, or __________ ( fill in the blank) that reminds you of the Supreme and your relationship to That ( tad-ekaṁ ).

If you look in the mirror and see the markings on your head ( vertial or horizontal i.e. viṣṇu or śiva); or if you are walking down the street and see another wearing rudrākṣa, or tilaka-s, etc. it is there to remind you again of who you are , or what practice you wish to remember.

You see, we are humans and we forget, then remember then forget again. All these things are there to help us remember.

So what do I do ? I do various things, but one thing I have found very effective in my remembering... A simple string around my right wrist; It is there and it reminds me of what my intent is every day.
    Very simple string ( not thread as in sewing) that is two strings wide with 3 knotts ... it reminds me.
    But what does the 2 stings and 3 knots mean ? That is where you can make it personal... What are the 2 things you wish to remember ( or 3 things), and the knots - what will those indicate ? You make it personal... its that simple. When done with proper intent it works. Its simple. If people ask you what that is for, you are honest - it helps me remember.

So, one does not have to be elaborate with many mālā-s or ash, or piercings. We are simple people. What can be more simple then string ?

jñānaṁ bandhaḥ ||2
    not knowing is bondage... śivasūtra-s ; more specifically śivasūtravimarśinī

praṇām

1. darśana - literally means seeing, yet is also used as teaching, observing, doctrine , philosophical system ( in which we usually recognize 6 schools)
    Last edited by yajvan; 04 December 2011 at 03:26 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Remembering...

Hari Om!

What an astute post - beneficial in every way.

Do we, as in my case, wear rudraksha due to our past life's karma? That would certainly fall under the category of remembering would it not? Or, is it just limited to the karma of this lifetime?

This post has come at a great time for me. My Bharatanatyam teacher tells my fellow classmates and me that everything we do and wear is for a reason. I have been trying to find something simple to remind me of my purpose in life. Thanks

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namaste

Another form of remembering... There is a key idea in sanātana dharma of na-iti . This na = not and iti in the brāhmaṇas is often equivalent to 'as you know'. Hence na-iti is not as you know, not as you perceive. This comes to be known as neti-neti. We find this in the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad ( some write bṛhadaraṇyakopaniṣad ), mūrta-amūrta brāhmaṇa ( form and formless).

Also from the avadhūta gītā 1.25

tattvamasyādivākyena svātmā hi pratipāditaḥ |
    neti neti śrutirbrūyādanṛtaṁ pācabhautikam ||25||

By such great sayings as that thou art , our own Self is affirmed.
    Of that which is untrue and composed of the five elements - the śruti-s say, not this, not this.

So, as one looks around they can say neti-neti - I am not this, a tree, a bush, the auto, the mountain. These are fine, yet what of me is not this or that ? One must look to ones-self and what part is not this, not that.
    This is what we wish to remember.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 July 2014 at 04:09 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

So, what am I to remember ? That I am yajvan ? That I live in such-an-such a place ? That I am this height, weight, that I am to take out the garbage on Monday's ? That I am required to pay my taxes and not be late, to eat, sleep, vote, and take care of my home ?

All of these things to remember. Do they bring me forward to one's full unfoldment? These things need to get done as they fall under the duty of the house holder.

Yet what should be remembered and what can be forgotten ? It's like ice-skating. One pushes forward, yet when you stop pushing you still move forward and continue to skate. Like that we do things but even when all is done the mind continues to push forward within the realm of doing and thinking about the things to get done and one forgets what is important to remember...

For this we need to find a way to remind ourselves of more noble things to ponder.

cittaṁ mantraḥ||1
    The mind or cittam (of the one engaged in the Supreme) is the mántra ||
    śivasūtravimarśinī (2nd chapter) on śāktopāya

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Vannakkam: I believe there are times when one should not remember. It is our dharma, or the right action to concentrate on something besides God. To have Him there in the recesses is fine, just as we go about the daylight hours somewhere realising the sun is shining, but not being aware of the sun. If all we ever did was sit around basking in sunlight, it would be called laziness. Even the greatest souls who can choose to immerse themselves in advaitic reality for days on end come back out to teach, to travel, etc.

I recall a vivid example. I was working with a young Islamic man who had this idea to remember God all day. It was in a warehouse setting picking orders. He kept doing his version of japa on beads throughout the day. He was, to put it mildly, a very poor employee, constantly distracted, and forgetful. The only reason I believe he kept his job was that the employer was afraid of some discrimination on religion accusation. Either that or the employer just had a big heart.

Do you really want your surgeon thinking of God while he's replacing valves in your heart? I certainly don't. He can be the greatest Hindu bhaktar in the world, but I don't want him thinking about God just then. Afterwards, fine.

Although I do sing bhajans or practice slokas in the car driving down a freeway, I don't close my eyes and try to meditate.

So .. there is a time to remember, and a time to forget.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I believe there are times when one should not remember.
    To have Him there in the recesses is fine......
    Namaste,

I believe keeping Him in our subconsciousness is the key, not actually chanting His name, or doing japa all day long.
    Keeping Him in the subconsciousness makes us do the right things, make the right choices and act morally in all that we do in this material world.
    Having a bracelet made of thread or metal (or ?) worn for the express purpose of remembering that we are a part of Him and that we are being constantly watched, can serve as a constant reminder of our association with Him and to act per His rules.
    It serves the dual purpose of a protector and a moral code enforcer.
    Just some thoughts from someone who is not very literate in the shastras!

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 05 December 2011 at 10:35 AM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

So .. there is a time to remember, and a time to forget.
    If one practiced perfect forgetfulness there would be nothing or no need to remember. With nothing ( no+thing) to remember we are deposited into our natural SELVES, there is nothing left to do.

So, what can be this perfect forgetfulness ? Being without the 3 guna's 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Being completely forgetful is nirvāṇa¹ .

praṇām
    • nirvāṇa - extinction, blown out i.e. ignorance is extinguished.
    • nirvana - being without wood, or in an open forest. The idea here is 'without wood' suggest nothing to burn, without desires.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I believe keeping Him in our subconsciousness is the key, not actually chanting His name, or doing japa all day long.
    Vannakkam Believer: I totally agree. Once the subconscious is reprogrammed to think this way, the battle is half over. Then it just takes will.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Do you really want your surgeon thinking of God while he's replacing valves in your heart?
    Believer writes,
    These two thoughts can bring out a plethora of knowledge. If a doctor was completely infused with Being, with the Supreme, there is no doubt I would want him to operate on me. Why so? The doctor's hands are His hands. The doctor is only the agent for the Supreme. Here is the point for one's kind consideration... when one is completely absorbed in the Supreme, one needn't worry with any thinking or chanting to be mindful of Him because there is no two any more. He is not on the level of thinking, but on the level of Being.
    You are now His agent, His ambassator that is in human form. The reminding is done.

It is like kṛṣṇa-jī says, what need is there for streams to feed an everfull ocean ? The individual that is established in Self ( ātman ) is the Ocean. No additional waters ( reminders) are needed to inform him of his Fullness of Being as he is that.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 05 December 2011 at 06:12 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information