Thread: Shiva Lingam

Shiva Lingam

I think this is where I would post something like this. Okay, so I made a ceramic Shiva lingam but I heard that people say not to put one in your home.. I also heard that Shiva lingams are usually made out of stone and some would say that ceramic lingams are not lingams at all. I am confused about this. I have been performing abhishekam on the lingam to the best of my ability (which is not very extensive, I just chant aum namah Shivaya, offer water or the 5 liquids if I have them, offer fruit, incense and light). I would like some advice on this. Would you consider it bad to have one in my home? How would I do a proper abhishekam? If I shouldn't have it in my house, what would I do with it? Is it a lingam if it is ceramic? Anyways, I appreciate any advice on this.

Aum namah Shivaya!
    Gauri
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Re: Shiva Lingam

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellasaur View Post
    I think this is where I would post something like this. Okay, so I made a ceramic Shiva lingam but I heard that people say not to put one in your home.. I also heard that Shiva lingams are usually made out of stone and some would say that ceramic lingams are not lingams at all. I am confused about this. I have been performing abhishekam on the lingam to the best of my ability (which is not very extensive, I just chant aum namah Shivaya, offer water or the 5 liquids if I have them, offer fruit, incense and light). I would like some advice on this. Would you consider it bad to have one in my home? How would I do a proper abhishekam? If I shouldn't have it in my house, what would I do with it? Is it a lingam if it is ceramic? Anyways, I appreciate any advice on this.

Aum namah Shivaya!
    Gauri
    Vannakkam Danielle: Good questions. The answers you get will vary, but I'll give you my POV. We have a lingam in our house, although I rarely do abhishekham. This is the first time I've ever heard that you shouldn't have one in your house, but I have heard that about Nataraja.

Mystically, solid ones do work better, as they will hold the vibration better. Think of rocks holding heat. A hollow rock simply won't hold it as well as a solid one will.

Traditionally, they are not ceramic or plaster. Metal or stone is better, but solid. You can do abhishekham if you wish using traditional liquids, (not sure which yours are, and which tradition you might be following) and chanting nothing also works. Some pujas are done in total silence. Basically, it is your gut. When I was a pujari, I used the' Imam me gange Yamune Sarasvati' chant. I'll try to find a version for you on line.

There is something special about creating your own stuff, as it is yours and yours alone. If you do feel the vibrations getting 'heavy' or 'dark' just back off for awhile. In mystic traditions pujas are avoided when one is in any sort of darker mood like anger or depression of grief.

Probably doesn't help much ... but.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for your response, and it does help! I use milk, ghee, yogurt, honey and sugar with water in between.
    Namaste
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Hari Om!

Like EM, I've never heard of a restriction put upon having a lingam in the home. I have one as well and do abhisheka regularly.

I also agree that lingams should ideally be solid stone or metal but have seen those made of all sorts of material. I like that you made yours because it comes from the heart and has a part of you in it. A special light within you could say.

The way that you are doing the abhishekam in my opinion is fine - again it comes from the heart and is truly more than a lot of people do. Remember that the Lord accepts your love and devotion and bestows his blessings upon you - feel the connection to the Divine. It's there.

All the best to you -

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Hari Om!

Perhaps in a different form, but Shiva none the less - this is from The Ribhu Gita:

If one sprinkles water on the feet of the Lord with the crest moon, lustrous like a lotus on which swarm a scattering of tawny-coloured bees, he will attain the great Bliss of Liberation, which is obtained by worshipping Sambhu, anointing Him with a foaming mixture of the best sugar-cane, ghee, curd, best of milk, and such other things.

"The Ribhu Gita"
    First English Translation from the Original Sanskrit Indian Epic Sivarahasya
    Translated by Dr. H Ramamoorthy, assisted by Master Nome

Yes, it seems that you are doing the right things as if you needed confirmation - eh?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Oh thank you!That makes me feel better. And I have found such peace in the daily abhishekam, no matter how brief. Shiva seems to approve

7. Re: Shiva Lingam

When you chant aum namah Shivaya, chant only once, if you chant more than once then chant namah Shivaya.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    When you chant aum namah Shivaya, chant only once, if you chant more than once then chant namah Shivaya.
    I was not aware, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellasaur View Post
    I was not aware, thank you
    Vannakkam Danielle: I'm sorry but this is just one opinion, and not one that I share. I'm not sure of shastras on it, but it isn't something I've even ever heard of . Perhaps others will share their opinions as well.

Bset wishes discovering.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information