Thread: Giving Sanatana Dharma Texts to Library

Giving Sanatana Dharma Texts to Library

Hari Om

Hello to all,

I live in small town that is vastly Christian in leanings. We have a number of libraries in county and the main library is pretty cool by small town standards. Much grateful for this. The rows on religion are dominated by Christian books followed by only two types of Buddhism in Zen and Tibetan, followed by New Age stuff, and then Islam, Judaism and Taoism. Lastly, on lowest shelf, is Hinduism. Sanatana Dharma is represented only by two Oslo books, two translations of The Bhagavad Gita and two shortened by much versions of The Ramayana. Does not fill one condensed row.

In this town, we now have many Indian peoples staying here for month or less, with very small additons made in our population by them in increments.

With all of this said, I would very much like to donate books to main library. They assured me they would be accepting of such. If I did this, would you consider this in any manner to be proselytizing? Secondly, what books would you recommend? I am thinking of those who may be here for awhile and lonely for what they are familiar with and those local searchers who are being neglected by non-exposure to Sanatana Dharma.

Thanks to all.

Om Shanti

Jai Jai Hanuman!!!

FFTW

Re: Giving Sanatana Dharma Texts to Library

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    With all of this said, I would very much like to donate books to main library. They assured me they would be accepting of such. If I did this, would you consider this in any manner to be proselytizing? Secondly, what books would you recommend?
    I dont necessarily think this is proselytization - especially when the main library seems well-stocked with books of other religions.

A good translation of the Bhagvad Gita would be my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    If I did this, would you consider this in any manner to be proselytizing?
    Vannakkam: Making teachings available isn't proselytysing at all. if that were the case, the internet is a library of proseltysing. It's the persons choice to pick it up.

However, many libraries do have a 'discarding' policy where books are chucked if nobody borrows them over say 7 years. But I don't think that would happen here.

Aum Namasivaya

Rigveda is the oldest written text thats out there. It is a library we are talking about hence not considered proselytizing, on the contrary it is the right step making available ancient wisdom in the form of Vedopanishads and also itihasas (epics) to all. Stressing on the latter point , I say, Mahabharata as a stand alone story (ie., leaving religion aside) makes a very compelling reading like a shakespearan drama if you will. People have been fed wrong info on hinduism in most of the world, thanks to pastors and mullahs. On a relevant note, it appears most American libraries are scantily stocked up with hindu scriptures. Iam delighted to know libraries do accept donated books; I shall check with my central library , which has almost no hindu scriptures last time I checked and donate some. Namaste.

Namaste to all.

Proselytizing, not at all. I think it's a wonderful idea to donate those books. A primer on Hinduism is a good choice in addition to the other suggestions. I've heard good things and a few bad things about Hinduism For Dummies (only because it left out a few points).

Don't feel badly about not having a great selection of books on the shelf, especialy in a small town library. Even Barnes & Noble has a very limited in-store selection. However, you can find virtually anything on-line, or if you have a particular title they will order it for you. So, it happens even in a retail book store.

I'd definitely donate the books.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hari OM

Namaste,

Thank you all for the comments. I revisited library today and found they have just had some more books come in. Do not know what to say to this. With this and comments and inclination that exists, shall get some more, so perhaps some more portions shall get benefit from.

Thanks.

Om Shanti.

FFTW

Hari Om!

Perhaps something to consider would be adding works that are especially meaningful to you. If I recall from other posts, the Upanishads hold a special place in your heart. That would be a great addition, especially a translation that a general reader could relate to.

Making these works available in my opinion is vital. I applaud your efforts.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste,

Friend from the West, I'm glad that your library is encouraging your donation! You did the very best thing by inquiring before you donated.

I work for a library, a very specialized one. Donations are sometimes awkward for us because sometimes people donate things that we can't use.

But it sounds like your library realizes that they could use more books about Hinduism in their religion section. (Alas, most libraries and bookstores in the US have very little -- or even nothing at all -- on their shelves about Hinduism.)

If your library doesn't have it already, I would recommend The Hindu Mind : Fundamentals of Hindu Religion and Philosophy for All Ages by Bansi Pandit. [Dharma Publications / 925 Maryknoll Circle / Glen Ellyn , IL 60137 email: dharma@hindunet.org] This book is very useful for me and I'm sure it would be useful for others, too. Since this is from a very small publisher, your library might really appreciate it as a gift. Sometimes it is difficult for an institution to purchase from a small publisher.

If I were going to a library and I saw a shelf with different translations of the Ramayana, the Mahabharata (including different shortened retellings), and selections from the Upanishads I would be thrilled. And the stories from the Puranas. I'd love to know more of those. Well, all of the stories, actually, I know there are more than just the Puranas. I love reading about the philosophy but there are so many new ideas for me, complete with a whole new vocabulary, that I have to just stop and try to assimilate after very little reading. But stories go straight to my heart, and as I grow more, I can learn more and more about their depths.

Hari Om!

I'll second Caltha's suggestion to add "The Hindu Mind". This is a book that I've read a couple of times and still go back to on occasion. A true work of art.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Hari OM

Namaste,

Thanks very much C. Smith and Caltha. Perfect. Most definetely the Upanishads! As far as book you both recommend, I will also purchase for my use in that have not read this book.

Peace.

FFTW

Thread Information