Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu helping someone learn Buddhism?

Hindu helping someone learn Buddhism?

I think it's common knowledge I come up with some humdinger subjects, but this one surprises even me.

I have someone who is becoming interested in Nichiren Buddhism, specifically, chanting the Nam Myoho Renge Kyo mantra and parts of the Lotus Sutra. He has an altar set up with statues and pictures of Guan Yin and the Buddha, a water vessel, a green plant, and a gohonzon in the form of a statue (he's a nepophyte and not initiated to use a true gohonzon).

Now, I know less than nothing about Buddhism... heck, I'm still learning about Hinduism! It's not my intention to incorporate Buddhist practices into my worship, but because I am a quick study, and I was a chanter in my EOC days, I find it easy to chant. I'd like to help him learn the chants and intonations. Due to my quick-study abilities, I believe I can guide him in the basics of Nichiren-sho practices.

Does anyone see any problem with this, specifically if I chant the parts of the Lotus Sutra with him to teach him? That is, is it disrespectful to Buddhists that a non-Buddhist do this? (I did not intend that to rhyme, but it does underscore my rhythmic abilities ).
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Hindu helping someone learn Buddhism?

Hari Om

Namaste Touched by the Lord,

With the exception of those that may have some different affixation on the founder of this form of school, do not know how one could be offended. Think is good thing to help in this regard. Very good.

TBTL, can you rap?

Om Shanti.

FFTW

3. Re: Hindu helping someone learn Buddhism?

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    ------------------
    These are corrupt chants which do not need to be chanted.

Buddhism was a section of Hinduism but it was separated in the later parts, I have mentioned it earlier too.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    I have to disagree there. As long as a chant gives an individual peace of mind, it is not corrupt for him/her. More so when we dont know what these chants actually mean.

As long as the chants dont give the chanter the belief that "There is no God but Buddha and Buddha is his last prophet", there neednt be any worry about any chant.

Buddhism was a section of Hinduism but it was separated in the later parts, I have mentioned it earlier too.
    This is true. There are deep and significant philosophical differences between between Hinduism and certain schools of Buddhism. But these differences have helped Hinduism establish the Siddhanta position [one's own position] against the Purvapaksha [opponent's position]. Buddhism and Hinduism have had a mutually symbiotic relationship historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    TBTL, can you rap?

Om Shanti.

FFTW
    I can, but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    In the eyes of the beholder. I said it's not for me, but for someone else who is drawn to it. Your comments, as usual were not helpful, and not appreciated. Unless you have something constructive to offer, please do not comment just to vent your spleen.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    I have to disagree there. As long as a chant gives an individual peace of mind, it is not corrupt for him/her. More so when we dont know what these chants actually mean.
    Thanks wundermonk. I haven't read any of these, so I don't know what they say or mean either, except that they are the sermons and discourses of the Buddha. Parts are in prose and parts are in verse. The verse parts are the ones chanted. I have also found out that followers of Nichiren-Shoshu school are fairly numerous.

As long as the chants dont give the chanter the belief that "There is no God but Buddha and Buddha is his last prophet", there neednt be any worry about any chant.
    If that happened, then there's a problem with Buddhist philosophy at a very fundamental level.

Namaste FFTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    Hari Om

Think is good thing to help in this regard. Very good.
    I neglected to mention that he is just coming out of a rehab for self-medication due to emotional, stress, depression and anxiety issues, and facing three DWIs in two towns.

He is RC, but doesn't find complete solace there. He seems to feel solace and peace in seeing Guan Yin and the Buddha as expansions of the Blessed Mother and Jesus.

I'm not proselytizing him one way or another, or to one belief system or another. I'm taking a disinterested third party approach in helping him study and learn.

So there's some more background I should have mentioned.

dont see problems with chanting buddhist slokas generally speaking. But them buddhists dont reciprocate our good gesture, thats unfair. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    dont see problems with chanting buddhist slokas generally speaking.
    Especially for a Buddhist. Though I'm sure there are some Hindus who incorporate Buddhist, and maybe Sikh practices.

But them buddhists dont reciprocate our good gesture, thats unfair. Namaste.
    How do you mean? Do Buddhists somehow feel superior to Hindus, and/or distance themselves? If so that's unfortunate and dismaying.

Wow !! that helps both you and him !

Him to learn how to chant and you to show the flexibility of your belief !
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    Wow !! that helps both you and him !

Him to learn how to chant and you to show the flexibility of your belief !
    I hope so. I try to keep an open mind (but not so open my brain falls out ), and respect other people's beliefs. And because of that it annoys the snot out of me when I see people buying little statues of Lord Ganesha or the Buddha or Guan Yin for "good luck" and sit them on a shelf or on top of the tv.

Thread Information