Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

What do you think?

Namaste friends,

So this is my tilak. Personally, I think it looks odd, but it's probably because I just started wearing it...I plan on wearing it everyday to show others my devotion to Maa Durga....But I was wondering what you guys thought. Should I apply it in a different way?, ect....

Dhanyavadah!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jai Maa Durga

Re: What do you think?

Hari Om!

Great that you took another step to identify not only with your fellow Hindus, but with the Divine as well. I admire your devotion.

Over the years I've seen bindis of different sizes, but what I've taken most to heart is when the pandit at the mandir applies it to my forehead, it is usually just the tip of his finger which leaves a fingertip sized "dot". Overall, I would suggest doing what others at your temple do - big, medium, small - just follow along.

You will become more comfortable over time as you wear it more and more often. Just curious, but what exactly does it mean to you, that is the bindi itself - what does it represent and why are you wearing it? When you are clear on the answers to those questions, you'll be able to share more with the people who inquire as to just what it is.

All the best!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by cmorel02 View Post
    Namaste friends,

So this is my tilak. Personally, I think it looks odd, but it's probably because I just started wearing it...I plan on wearing it everyday to show others my devotion to Maa Durga....But I was wondering what you guys thought. Should I apply it in a different way?, ect....

Dhanyavadah!!
    Namaste,

Good start.

you have done it perfectly but it need to be little oval shaped. You need to pull tilak from down to top, in the middle of forehead.
    But I am no expert on Hinduism and rituals, so let others also comment.

attached 2 link please check them out for tilak.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_UmaH3LOQ

http://www.visualphotos.com/image/2x...man_with_tilak
    ( that's not my photo)
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

looks good, but i wouldnt walk in the streets with that on my face, soon you maybe seen on national TV or youtube....just kidding.
    Usually most hindu men dont apply anything on face, however only in mandirs they apply kunkum (not tilakam) whenever they visit mandir, quickly to be wiped off outside especially in the west. Namaste.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

durgā is durgatināśinī .

It is a noble jesture that you wish to show others your devotion. Yet it is of great value and more rewarding for you to know durgā directly and personally. While one thinks this will occur in an outward facing appearence, this is not so.

If one comes to know durgā from within then all others will benefit by your knowing, just by you being That.

It would be a mistake in understanding to think one knows the Divine by some marking or beads we may wear.

Yet that said, if this mark allows you to be reminded of Her more and more, it will serve a purpose. If it is for others to view, then one has confused the intent with the goal.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 December 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste friends,

Dhanyavadah!!
    Vannakkam cmorel: There are many versions of tilak, as you may imagine. The priest on this picture's right is the way I wear mine, if I put an effort into it. http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=ash+tr...429,r:16,s:203

I don't generally wear it in public here in the west for a couple or reasons, the primary one being I don't want to answer questions, or receive stares. Occasionally I have forgotten and had it lead to humour, like the time the lady in the store asked if I had just come from Mandir, and I couldn't figure it out, since there is a town nearby here named Mundare. At the time, I wasn't very familiar with Hindi terms.

But around the house, to and from temple, I do wear it a lot. There is a certain feel to it. Same applies to wearing of veshti.

Yours is fine, as are all, the location between the brows is spot on, pardon the pun.

I'm with Yajvan in that the real Hinduness is an inner quality, not something easily demonstrated without actions such as selfless service.

I look forward to the day our side of the planet is so accustomed to multi - ethnicity that anyone can go anywhere without fear or annoyance of questions or stares. Maybe in 50 years. Maybe less.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Ropes, hooks, walking canes, verbal encouragement from others and anything else that helps a person to climb to the top of a mountain should be acceptable for a person's ascent. If an outward symbol/ritual helps a person get grounded in a discipline, why should that be discouraged? Once a person gets to the top, he could do away with all the tools/crutches. When one is enveloped by His presence, nothing else matters. The blissful state insulates one's consciousness from the mundane around him. But to get there, different people may need different aids.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 09 December 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Now you just need a mustache! LOL.

Seriously though, as someone who wears a kumkum tilak on a regular basis, I usually go with the slightly more oval or "line" style...like Varun Gandhi in this pic:

It makes it more "obvious" that it's a tilak, especially considering the fact that kumkum looks like blood.

Thanks guys, your advice and encouragement means a lot to me. And one more thing, I've noticed that the turmeric stains the skin when it's applied and left in that spot for a time. Is there a trick I can do to prevent this?

Dhanyavad!
    Jai Maa Durga

Thanks guys, your advice and encouragement means a lot to me. And one more thing, I've noticed that the turmeric stains the skin when it's applied and left in that spot for a time. Is there a trick I can do to prevent this?

Dhanyavad!
    Vannakkam: Yes, turmeric stains. What you are looking for to use is called chandan powder, chandanam, or yellow sandalwood. Good Indian stores may sell it in small round blocks. I found some here: http://www.pujasupplies.com/index.ph...catalog&c=Puja

But otherwise it was kind of hard to find.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information