Thread: Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

Namaste,

We're having a total lunar eclipse over here in India, just watched it outside after the fog cleared and witnessed a truly beautiful sight.

On a related note, we have certain beliefs here such as not eating or drinking anything during the eclipse's duration - there are several rationalist folks seen debunking these on TV whenever this happens. Just wanted to know, what are the views of our friends here? Although I did as mom asked just to avoid an argument, I know of no scientific backing behind these claims and have always considered them to be superstitions (heck, I've always sneaked in snacks between and nothing ever happened ), and don't really care about them for I think our dharma isn't contingent on such beliefs in any way, but would like to know more out of curiosity.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Re: Lunar Eclipse

I wanted to see it, but I didn't get out this morning.

07:06 (Dec 10) - moonset.
    09:58:22 (Dec 10) - end of totality phase.
    11:18:31 (Dec 10) - end of partial phase.
    12:31:55 (Dec 10) - end of pnenumbral phase .

Purnima ended today (Dec 10) at 09:36.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namast,

As I was taught, the energies of a lunar eclipse are particularly conducive to spiritual practices, such that the merits and personal benefits of such practice are greatly increased during that time. So it's a great opportunity for a sadhaka, to fast and devote all of his/her energy to tasks like japa while an eclipse is happening.

Something else I read, a while back, is that it's a time in which the forces of light and darkness - or, illumination and obscurity - are engaged in direct struggle, so the practioner 'aligns with' or even 'supports' the triumph of light via spiritual work.

I have a nasty cold and so just did a little bit of chanting, flat in bed, until my croaky voice gave up. Well, one does what one can...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste All,

Just caught the final phase of the penumbre here in France, Big orange orb on the horizon, beautiful. The Eclipse in all its splendour happened just under the horizon, so I couldn't see that unfortunately.

What an amazing world and universe we live in.

praNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    As I was taught, the energies of a lunar eclipse are particularly conducive to spiritual practices, such that the merits and personal benefits of such practice are greatly increased during that time. So it's a great opportunity for a sadhaka, to fast and devote all of his/her energy to tasks like japa while an eclipse is happening.

Something else I read, a while back, is that it's a time in which the forces of light and darkness - or, illumination and obscurity - are engaged in direct struggle, so the practioner 'aligns with' or even 'supports' the triumph of light via spiritual work.
    That is interesting. Thanks!
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Thread Information