Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prayers to Srimati Sita?

Re: Prayers to Srimati Sita?

Unfortunately Rama isn't viewed as the best ideal of men amongst many Indian women. The folk songs dedicated to Sita are often about the abuse she suffers after marrying Rama and about how he is not a very good husband (downright negligent in many cases).

Namaste Divine Kala

I mentioned folk songs only to show how people bring in the timeless epic in both joy and sorrow.The Ramayana is part and parcel of the Indian psyche.

From what I have heard in folk songs , you are right that Sita's sorrows are focussed upon as the anonymous authors are most probably women.
    But the focus is not on denigrating Rama.

Unfortunately Rama isn't viewed as the best ideal of men amongst many Indian women. The folk songs dedicated to Sita are often about the abuse she suffers after marrying Rama and about how he is not a very good husband (downright negligent in many cases).
    This isnt true as the mindset of Indian women doesnt equate Sita's life as just sorrow Definitely most Indian women do think Sri Ram IS the best ideal

The whole feminist angle [SrI Sita is the abused and Sri Ram is the irresponsible type] is thanks to our homegrown Indian left thinkers and some Western researchers who like to quote folk songs only and little else. They also have a problem in accepting Valmikhi Ramayana as the original. That says a lot about their scholarship.

Male children are happily named after Lord Rama by their mothers and when a prospective groom is named after Lord Ram , women in the family of the bride associate that with fidelity , chastity and divine love on the parts of both spouses and rejoice.

The no. of people named Ram or Raman is very high especially in TN, he is inseparable from our psyche despite concentrated efforts by some political forces aided by media in TN since some 5 years.

There is a lot of local politics circuses there in TN but enough to say people's bhakthi will have none of that.

Anyway touchedbythelord actually wanted to know abt stotras and I am trying to get it from someone .If I get it i'd post it here.

All I remember now are just two names out of the 108 names of Sri Sita

Om Ayonijayai Namaha [ Ayonija-she who wasnt born of a womb]
    Om Anakayai Namaha [ She who is pure]
    Warm regardS
    Loka Samasta Sukhino Bhavanthu

Flowing Along

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?? I am curious.

Shri Ram burnt down an entire empire just to find her, exactly where was he not a good husband and downright negligent??

I see this line of arguement often these days by feminist terrorists ( my copyright ) in the country. Remember, he was maryada purushottam, king first then a husband. besides he didnt remarry and didnt exactly lead a happy life after she took to forrest, no?

keen to hear why you think so.

Just by asking Indian women what they really think of Rama. Bear in mind that many of these women have never read the Ramayana, but they've learned Sita's side of the story through village songs.

There's also documented research of it - in Hinduism Today it is looked at during an article looking at Sita Sings the Blues.

hellow TBTL ,in your daily prayers you recite prayers to Sri Krishna & Srimati Radharani; Lord Vishnu & Maa Lakshmi; Lord Rama; Lord Narasimha. you say the Mahamantra also; the Mahamrityunjaya mantra; and a few others (Asato maa gamaya...; Sarveshaam...; Tvameva Mata Cha Pita Tvameva...).

you also recite some prayers to Lord Shiva & Maa Parvati; Lord Ganesha; Maa Saraswati; Lord Hanuman. . All this really only takes about 5-10 minutes, even with concentration.

i want to ask why you don't recite prayers to Maa kali,Maa shitala,Mata vaishnodevi,Maa sontoshi ,Maa katyaoni,Maa kamakhya, Maa Bhubeneshwari,Maa manasha ,Indradev, Sonidev and so on . i think it is unfair.
    Last edited by uttam; 15 December 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by uttam View Post
    i want to ask why you don't recite prayers to Maa kali,Maa shitala,Mata vaishnodevi,Maa sontoshi ,Maa katyaoni,Maa kamakhya, Maa Bhubeneshwari,Maa manasha ,Indradev, Sonidev and so on . i think it is unfair.
    I'm Vaishnava, but I consider Lord Shiva to be the greatest Vaishnav bhakta and can be appealed to for guidance in increasing devotion to Lord Krishna; it's said to always invoke Lord Ganesha at any undertaking; Lord Hanuman is the greatest devotee of Lord Rama and worthy of honoring and praying to, to emulate in devotion; Maa Saraswati led me to Lord Krishna; Maa Kali is in my heart and near my shrine, I do have some prayers to Her, and I ask for Her help in destroying some negativity that surrounds me.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

dear TBTL i think by the grace of so many dev-devis you will get moksha very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by uttam View Post
    dear TBTL i think by the grace of so many dev-devis you will get moksha very soon.
    "From your lips to God's ears" as they say.

But! We must keep in mind:

"Those who are devotees of other gods and who worship them with faith actually worship only Me, O son of Kunti, but they do so in a wrong way." B.G. 9.23

"Those who worship the demigods will take birth among the demigods; those who worship the ancestors go to the ancestors; those who worship ghosts and spirits will take birth among such beings; and those who worship Me will live with Me." B.G. 9.25

And the most important:

"Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend." B.G. 18.65

All prayers make their way to Lord Krishna, but it's important to distinguish between worship of the other deities, and honor and praise of Them. I think the honor and praise of Them pleases Lord Krishna.

After all, it was Maa Durga who took birth as Devaki's baby girl and deceived Kamsa, telling him his destroyer was already born and safe. Then She laughed in his face and disappeared (I like that part ). And I think Lord Krishna told Arjuna to pray to Maa Durga for guidance at the beginning of the Kurukshetra War.

Namast,

And I think Lord Krishna told Arjuna to pray to Maa Durga for guidance at the beginning of the Kurukshetra War.

He did. You may read the humble, lovely result of that instruction here.

Regarding Sītā, it is indeed difficult to find specific prayers addressed only to Her. May I suggest Rig Veda, in this case hymn IV.57, where Sītā is first mentioned as the furrow, the Earth...If you click here and then click on "page 240," you may read David Frawley's excellent translation and discussion of that hymn.
    Another multifaceted discussion of Her, with a few good links to other essays, may be found here.

Again, these are not prayers per se, but may give you direction to research songs, poems, etc. or, who knows, even to write prayers of your own!

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Indraneela, and thanks for the links.

Thread Information