Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sometimes i feel

Re: Sometimes i feel

Namaste shantiseeker,

If I might offer a few thoughts for your consideration.

God is not in religion, religion is a way to God, nothing more or less. A guide book. I would humbly suggest that you stop looking directly at the religion its self, in order to know that it is only the path and not the goal.

Have you noticed how badly translated some of the instruction manuals are today? Especially for cheap, mass manufactured goods; Yet the advertising is so finely polished.

I prefer the ancient hand crafted ways, the quality of the workmanship speaks for its self.

praNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by shantiseeker View Post
    I am at a crossroads. I've looked at Hinduism. (I'm a westerner). I still practice yoga and believe there is something to the chakra energy centers. I like the Gita.
    But I do know that I'm not destined to become a "true" Hindu. I greatly like many of the principles, but I don't think Hinduism can be my only path, but part of it. Yes, I come from the US, but was not raised going to church, so it's not like Christianity was "forced" and "emblazoned" on me. I chose a Christian path for a while as it seemed the logical thing to do, since the generic Xmas and other "Christian" holidays were always observed in my house in the generic sense. Chrisitanity and the whole Jesus is the only way and you'll burn in hell if you don't believe that and accept him, etc is not anything I accepted even when I identified myself as "Chrisitian". I surely don't think it now. I believe he was a man who was a messenger and had compassion, and yes, like many in that time, was crucified.
    I will keep elements of Hinduism probably as part of me, but I know I can't go any further than that, and I'm not about to be fake. Some people do this as a phase. I never really revealed to anyone but my spouse that I was looking at Hinduism. I still like the mantras and find them God inspired. I just know I can't ever truly be a Hindu.
    And getting to the point the OP was making, yes, there are divisions and debates in every religion. This is why I am pursuing a free course as I've tried to do, and I doubt I'll ever "sign off" again to an official religious body unless it truly embodies what works for me. I remain a seeker of peace still.
    You don't need any religion to be human and good. You were not born with any religion, it was imposed on you. Likewise you don't need to impose another religion to get even.

Pursuing a "free" course is great, but be careful about the self-obsessed fantasy that westerners are more prone to fall into while charting a free course. There is an entire new age industry which has grown up to make money out by pushing people more into the vortex of their own fantasies about themselves - and this is no good. Just a reminder of the danger, while wishing you best to set up own course. Buddha did it, every body has to do it at some point (perhaves). But it is not supposed to be easy or comforting.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste shantiseeker,

God is not in religion, religion is a way to God, nothing more or less. A guide book. I would humbly suggest that you stop looking directly at the religion its self, in order to know that it is only the path and not the goal.

Have you noticed how badly translated some of the instruction manuals are today? Especially for cheap, mass manufactured goods; Yet the advertising is so finely polished.

I prefer the ancient hand crafted ways, the quality of the workmanship speaks for its self.

praNAma

mana
    + 1

What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste shantiseeker,

praNAma

mana
    Yes-good point. I agree that religion is definitely not God , but the journey to know God. This is part why I am not labeling myself any "particular" religion itself. If one happens to fit in for whatever reason, that's great, but if I can find inspiration by reading writings from many religions' particular paths to God, why not. There isn't just one.
    But yeah-older crafts are more chiseled too. Got your point there.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    You don't need any religion to be human and good. You were not born with any religion, it was imposed on you. Likewise you don't need to impose another religion to get even.

Actually, no, not really. I chose to explore my own paths as a kid-we didn't go to church. It's just that as an American, the obvious Judeo-Christian influences were the strongest, but again, nothing was "forced" on me. I didn't have to attend catechism, Sunday school, "confirmation" etc. We just didn't do that in my family growing up. My parents weren't the least bit religious, so I explored things totally on my own.

Pursuing a "free" course is great, but be careful about the self-obsessed fantasy that westerners are more prone to fall into while charting a free course. There is an entire new age industry which has grown up to make money out by pushing people more into the vortex of their own fantasies about themselves - and this is no good. Just a reminder of the danger, while wishing you best to set up own course. Buddha did it, every body has to do it at some point (perhaves). But it is not supposed to be easy or comforting.
    In terms of being a self-obsessed fantasy based Westerner, no, that's not me and what my spiritual path is like. East and West may be different, but it goes both ways. Each doesn't understand the other the greatest. There are many people here in the US who give at the expense of their own comfort, freely and unconditionally. My wish to know God is because I have a lot of anger and resentment and lack of peace that I feel makes me a lesser person to OTHERS. When I meant "free", I didn't mean some willy nilly new age, flowers flowing sort of thing. I want to commune with God so that I can better person, not just for me, but for others like I said. Of course I want peace for my own self-who doesn't? But when a person is more at peace, that peace then begins to help them be a better person to others. I don't feel I'm where I need to be in that. Not that I think I'm some nasty, narcissistic bill of goods, but I'm still not at all where I want to be. And I don't expect ease and comfort. Not feeling spiritually fulfilled in fact has been very uneasy and very uncomfortable, so I'm not afraid or trying to avoid that either.

Thread Information