Thread: Meaning of Christianity as understood by a universalist

Threaded View

Meaning of Christianity as understood by a universalist

Greetings everyone.

This is just something that I've been contemplating for a while and thought it would be nice to share with open minds.

Christianity is NOT about condemning people to eternal hell or forcing religion on people. It's not about judgement or frightening people. It isn't about being better or more righteous than others.
    And please don't think that just because I'm talking about something I feel is good about and central to Christianity, it means that I'm trying to lure you into the religion. It simply isn't true.

The true meaning of Christianity is agape love. It teaches love like any other religion. Agape is the Greek word for a divine, selfless, and unconditional love. It is central to Christianity, as Mahatma Gandhi once said.

Jesus taught and demonstrated agape love. He taught love toward the neighbor, enemy, saint, and "sinner."

Jesus even said that it is agape love that is the mark of a true disciple or Christian.

Remember that Jesus also befriended the outcasts and the oppressed in his society.
    Jesus is also known for being crucified, but it isn't the "blood" and "torture" aspects of it that are important. It was the agape love that was behind it. It was Jesus' selfless love for his friends and even his enemies.

I grew up Christian, and the message that the religion speaks to me is to simply love everyone.

So, for those who may believe that Christianity is a bloody or evil religion, please consider looking at it in another way.

Please feel free to share any thoughts.

Thanks.
    Last edited by satay; 24 December 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Thread Information