Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Christianity as understood by a universalist

Re: The True Meaning of Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post
    There is ample body of evidence, independent of the biblical texts, that confirm that Jesus existed. Respected historians accept as much.

Jesus existed as did the Buddha.
    Vannakkam pineblossom: I lean with Naya. I don't believe Christ existed. What anyone believes in this regard has nothing to do with whether or not he existed. It's just belief. Can't be proven either way.

The more important question, in my mind, is whether or not Christ, whether he existed or not, has any relevance at all to Hindus. For that I have a definitive, 'No'. There is infinitely more straight forward and esoteric helpful knowledge available within the confines of SD than anywhere else.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om

Namaste Pineblossom and others,

I am here as a hypocrite. I said I would not partake in this type of dialogue and even wrote poem here about this, but this point of conversation just struck me as wrong in that people may read and believe what is said. Pineblossom and others, almost feel like I need to apologize before writing. In truth and in weakness perhaps, I did not like tone in addition to content.

In my opinion only, this thread by my friend, should have probably been more appropriately named, "The True Meaning of Christianity in my View" by Universal Love. It appears to me to be reasonable, what is put forward by author here at HDF, is not what the New Testament or even Churchanity (whatever the heck that is) teaches, but not anything any version of the bible teaches as well.

Pineblossom, what you put forth, seems to be more gnostic in smell. Eastern MindJi speaks better to what is found within Sanatana Dharma.

The rules of evidence in country Nayasurya resides, makes her statement correct. if something was deemed hearsay it would generally not be admissable in about anything but civil cases and than its weight would be considered differently. Perhaps heavily and perhaps with the weight of a feather. Beyond this, does not appear she was trying to make a technical statement. Even with this, for some reasonable people to base their sole beliefs on someting external, they may want more than what is offered. Additionally, even if one did not need to be a contortionist to believe in bible (or to severely pick and choose or to be one of few very wise people who are able to discern these secret sayings/meanings) perhaps their choice would be not to serve such a thing.

This person who is called Jesus or the Christ existence is based on some seemingly spurious evidence. How to define as hearsay is even a reach for some. You have the Gospels written by who? James written by who? Paul who met who? etc. Your extra biblical evidence beyond a shallow wikipedia search is a guy who believed in the Phoenix who waxed on knowingly about this as you do here. You have two people who came after 33ad or whenever who refer to a person that is a reach to say is Jesus, and you have a great historian who records much of the history and refers in what certainly appears to be additions, to Jesus. Quite frankly, there really is not so much extra evidence. Regardless, what does it matter?

Om Shanti.

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam pineblossom: I lean with Naya. I don't believe Christ existed. What anyone believes in this regard has nothing to do with whether or not he existed. It's just belief. Can't be proven either way.
    Sabhivadan

Whether Jesus existed or not is not a matter of personal belief - it is a matter of documented history.

Just as we can say that the second Temple at Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 CE by the Romans, we can accept that the historical record with respect to Jesus/

The more important question, in my mind, is whether or not Christ, whether he existed or not, has any relevance at all to Hindus. For that I have a definitive, 'No'. There is infinitely more straight forward and esoteric helpful knowledge available within the confines of SD than anywhere else.

Aum Namasivaya
    I take you point here. But limited as my understanding may be of the Hindu religion I find many similarities - just as there are many similarities across most religions.

Can the teachings of Jesus be relevant to the Vedas - probably not. Which is one of the reasons I am following Hinduism.

Aapka
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post

Namaste Pineblossom

This person who is called Jesus or the Christ existence is based on some seemingly spurious evidence. How to define as hearsay is even a reach for some. You have the Gospels written by who? James written by who? Paul who met who? etc. Your extra biblical evidence beyond a shallow wikipedia search is a guy who believed in the Phoenix who waxed on knowingly about this as you do here. You have two people who came after 33ad or whenever who refer to a person that is a reach to say is Jesus, and you have a great historian who records much of the history and refers in what certainly appears to be additions, to Jesus. Quite frankly, there really is not so much extra evidence. Regardless, what does it matter?

Om Shanti.

FFTW
    Dhanyavaad

The point I was making is that the evidence to which I refer comes not from what is written in the biblical texts - but from the Roman historical record.

And you comment - what does it matter - is not a skillful response in light of te hard evidence available.

Whether you choose to accept that record is, of course, a matter for you. But in making that choice does not have the effect of altering the historical record.

Aapka
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

NayaSuraya - you seem both angry and confused.

lolol Oy Vey! No, and no. Geeze folks let's not project our own ideas and emotion onto others who have came here for peaceful conversation.

There's nothing to reconsider...I am not xtian I do not need to consider anything at all about this religion, thankfully. What's there to confuse?

Why should I be angry about a fairy tale?

There have been some lovely posts by actual historians here on HDF in reference to the jesus myth. I encourage you to read them. Heresay...when one says someone else said something...and that person is not available. Sounds perfectly like the bible.

But, either way, as E.M. said...he matters not at all to me or anyone in my family.

I will say, these words here are written in a forum for SD. I do not harm xtians by stating the Truth. This space is for we small few to speak openly about these dogmas.

If believing in jesus gives them peace fine. I personally love Santa...I get a lot of joy from the whole deal.

My only reason for coming here at all was one whom would say you have to have more "spiritual background" to understand the primitive dogma of jesus.

I have some of my relatives visiting this weekend for the holly days and I have been baking treats for them and their families. So I found the new direction of the conversation very ironic and silly.

I took the time to look up some of the most wise information from our Elders here-

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=704

Another ver wonderful one<3

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696

Until and unless the other religions move from God and I to the higher levels of God in All and All in God, it will be futile to make them understand that we (including the whole creation) all are same and part of the same Bramhan.

We all respect the "Love" of the subject but then the universalism and acceptance is starkly missing. Even the love is mostly with a motive (at least for the missionaries).

So even the love has shades.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

The only problem we have with things like religion is that we don't know if the storys are true or not. Back then there were loads of verson of Jesus, even the one who went to India and learned many things then came back to teach the Jews. This is why we should focus more on the teachings then the actual person and what they did.

One of my fav quotes from the matrix:
    "Your mind makes it real"

What seems to be natural to me is gaining wisdom andknowledge. I'm pretty sure everyone is the same.

While the world is in there little boxes, the enlightend ones are wise as serpents and soft as a dove. We are the wind that can flow in any direction without stopping or getting trapped in a box of beliefs and concepts .
    Thesilence will guide us and save us from outside dogma ~

Anyone notised how most enlightend people only talk about silencing the mind but useing diffrnt anologys?

Which brings us to Matthew 6:25-34 ! (my fav chapt in the hole book)
    Where it talks about no action and no thoughts and all theses things will come to you. Just like the father who looks after nature, he will also look after you. So many christains are unawere of this verse which is a shame.
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Dhanyavaad

The point I was making is that the evidence to which I refer comes not from what is written in the biblical texts - but from the Roman historical record.
    The Roman historical record shows that there was a minor dissident in Israel. The problem is that's a bit like proving that a particular "Joe" existed because there are records of a "Joe" in America.

HelloNayaSurya ^^

My only reason for coming here at all was one whom would say you have to have more "spiritual background" to understand the primitive dogma of jesus.
    Awww I'm sorry! I was looking at the teachings in a diffrnt way and my own interpertations and cause iv studied alot of spirituality such as Gnostics and other great spiritual groups, I can see the teachings in a diffent way. Mind exspands itself to a better understanding. If I didn't belive in any god or spirituality I would take the hole gosple view diffently then I do now.
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Thread Information