Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Christianity as understood by a universalist

Re: The True Meaning of Christianity

Namaste Chris,

Surly that is not the original Hebrew teaching, but the modern interpretation. I don't know; do you?

PraNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste Chris,

Surly that is not the original Hebrew teaching, but the modern interpretation. I don't know; do you?

PraNAma

mana
    Well the original new testament was in Greek and written 50 years or so after the death of Jesus. There is a lot of debate on whether hell for unbelieving was an original belief, but it was certainly a main belief by 100 CE, and codified into the creed by the Nicene council in 325 CE.

Namaste Chris

Wow was it that early, amazing; I always assumed it was written in Hebrew; Thank you.
    Do you have any knowledge as to the destruction of the Jewish temple 70AD in Jerusalem. Was that Jesus s' temple; how that is explained in the history books?

praNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste Chris

Wow was it that early, amazing; I always assumed it was written in Hebrew; Thank you.
    Do you have any knowledge as to the destruction of the Jewish temple 70AD in Jerusalem. Was that Jesus s' temple; how that is explained in the history books?

praNAma

mana
    I don't know much about the destruction of the temple. It would have been the temple where Jesus overturned the money-lenders desks.

I appreciate everyone expressing honest thoughts and opinions, so thank you for that. Thanks again so much to people who have said kind things.

Again, the original post was just a very personal opinion and interpretation of my own.

As Kismet helped me realize, I probably could've worded the title of the thread a little better. I apologize for this.

By the way, Kismet, you have not downplayed or offended. No worries.

Following up on what Kismet said about how we know what Jesus actually did and said, I am not trying to act like I know what Jesus actually taught or did. When referring to Jesus, I am only referring to information within the four Gospels. But nor am I claiming that the Gospels or the whole Bible are perfect. I'm basically just using what is given.

Chris, when I said that Jesus taught to love the saint and the "sinner", I am referring to what the Gospels say, particularly where it says that Jesus befriended prostitutes and tax collectors -- the "sinners" of his society.

And, just to emphasize, I personally do not believe that non-Christians are going to an eternal hell. I don't think God would send anyone to an eternal hell. Instead, I believe God loves everyone unconditionally, regardless of differences.

My goal, both as a Christian and simply as a human being, is to just be an instrument of kindness toward everyone.

My goal has nothing to do with judgement, fear, condemnation, or trying to turn people over to a certain way of life.

I love questions, so if anyone has more thoughts or questions to share, please feel free. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post

I love questions, so if anyone has more thoughts or questions to share, please feel free. Thanks.
    VannakkamI ILoveGod: IMHO, In any interfaith dialogue, there should be open questioning going both ways, so I put this question back on you: If you have any further questions about Hinduism, feel free to ask. Many of us would be happy to oblige.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks, EasternMind, good to talk to you again. I have many, many questions about Hinduism.

Thanks, EasternMind, good to talk to you again. I have many, many questions about Hinduism.
    Vannakkam: Well, ask away!

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Jesus was an interesting person.
    And whether he existed or not really isn't the issue, imo, because whoever wrote about loving your enemies, loving God, forgiveness and such cannot be all bad. I take all the rest with a grain of salt anymore.

Of course, Lord Krishna and the Buddha said those same things centuries before "Jesus" did. He appeals to a certain audience at a certain time in a certain place. It's just that someone (Paul, who actually usurped and corrupted it) took the ball and ran with it, turning it into what it is today.

I seriously doubt that a wandering preacher from the hills of Judea wanted anything more than to show his countrymen what God really is, not what the Jewish establishment of the time made God out to be. That Jewish establishment was no better than what organized Christianity is today.

In the end, I think that's what it's really about, whether you are Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, atheist, etc.
    Love of, and devotion to God and all creatures. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I realize that you are creating your own version of Christianity but the main stream Christianity is precisely about hell, about frightening people destroying cultures, families and condemning people and humanity in general for the sins that they never even committed.

In general, Hindus don't care about Christianity and Jesus. It is completely irrelevant to us. ...

Just because you have some liberal notion of Christianity doesn't make the religion itself what you imagine it to be or what you think it should be.

Anyway, Christianity is irrelevant to us in general.
    Again, it's the corruption of it beginning in the first century CE, and continuing to the present day. If Christanity remained true to its core teachings, I doubt there would be much, if any, debate about it.

At one time I was also sucked into the going-to-hell silliness. It's nonsensical dogma and what's indoctrinated by people who are just parroting their preceding generation(s). I remember my friend getting his butt kicked by Sister Mary Intolerant of the Sisters of Merciless for saying angels don't really have wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If Christianity is about love to saint and sinner then why does it teach that non-Christians, even those who practice love, will go to hell whereas those who believe in Jesus will be forgiven and saved even if they practice hate?
    There's that corruption of it again.

Jesus only said that salvation comes through him... yes, he taught people how to turn away from sin. Lord Krishna said the same thing centuries earlier. He said to fix your mind on Him, devote yourself to Him, and you will go to Him.

Yet no one has taken His words and corrupted and twisted them into something to be feared; that you will go to hell if you don't believe in Him. Why it happened in Christianity? I have no a clue, but it's a crying shame.

Now, for anyone who might misintepret, I'm certainly not defending Christianity, at least not organized Christianity because I've been wounded by it, rather I'm condemning organized Christianity. I see no problem with anyone who only wants to love God, see Him, go to Him, and do His bidding, and to live and let live, regardless what He is called. In that regard let's remember R.V. 1.164.46 ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti "There is One Truth but the wise know it by many names". The problem is that not everyone is wise enough to see that and live by it.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well the original new testament was in Greek and written 50 years or so after the death of Jesus. There is a lot of debate on whether hell for unbelieving was an original belief, but it was certainly a main belief by 100 CE, and codified into the creed by the Nicene council in 325 CE.
    "Paul stands accused". I have no regard for that man, writer, figment, composite or whatever he or it was that wrote the drivel that has become the core of Christianity from the 1st century on. Nor do I have any regard for Constantine, who bent the Council of Nicaea to conform to his agenda and interpretations.

I should correct myself and say the only regard I have for them is contempt.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information