Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Himalayan Academy - things I don't agree with

Re: Himalayan Academy - things I don't agree with

Namaste,

Divine Kala I share in your views concerning these matters. I do not see how any of these 'rules and regulations' will lead one to Moksha. It just seems a bit outdated. I agree with your view of your husband (if you marry) being Shiva and you Shakti. This is how I view my wife and myself. We are equal. None is closer to the truth than the other. These are the rules and regulations that cause me not to label myself as a Hindu or any other thing for the matter. I consider myself upon Advaita and sometimes don't even use that term. Sometimes I say Shaivite other times I say nothing. I cannot follow any of these rules found in the many books. I would be doomed to fail.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

EM, thanks for explaining all that. Hope it helps people understand that everything in 'a book' does not apply to everyone. We have to absorb the good that is applicable to us as individuals and move on, and not belittle the 'Gurus'.

Pranam.

Check out the sayings of Satguru Subramuniyaswami's guru, Yogiswami, for a slightly different perspective.

A couple of Subramuniyaswami's core messages and teachings were, "Lean on your own spine," and "Why ask me?"

I love this!

I also didn't align with those things you posted DK, and I left them in peace and kept all the rest in my heart. GuruDeva was the most Beloved Beloved Wise, kind wonderful Being...and had a very keen sense of humor.

I can imagine him saying what E.M. posted word for word.

E.M. you have truly become His Beloved Hands!

Hari Om!

Can't say that I agree with either side 100% but do have a question that I'd like clarification on to help me clear up what may be false information.

In terms of Shiv/Shakti, is it not that Shakti is the force and power behind the doer - Shiva? Can't this applied to the discussion here? It's not a matter of who is superior because one is reliant on each other. Without steam, a steam engine cannot move forward. Thus a man is incomplete, at least for those that have not taken the higher road - sadhus, etc.

A woman stays behind to support man. Man has responsibility towards woman as well.

Still I'm not certain that I firmly believe in all the teachings of Satguru Subrahmunyaswami so don't pellet me with tomatoes and the like. I am still searching.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post

In terms of Shiv/Shakti, is it not that Shakti is the force and power behind the doer - Shiva?
    Vannakkam C. Smith: Generally its the other way around, Siva being causal, Shakti being action.

Aum, Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Thanks for the clarification. I have the Master Course from Himalayan Academy so will be looking into this in detail.

Still confused about one thing however. How is it that Shiva is the Destroyer and not the other way around? Sorry from what may come across as needing an elementary education.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Thanks for the clarification. I have the Master Course from Himalayan Academy so will be looking into this in detail.

Still confused about one thing however. How is it that Shiva is the Destroyer and not the other way around? Sorry from what may come across as needing an elementary education.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    Vannakkam: Destroyer is a poor translation, IMHO. The great Eraser, or Dissolutioner is more apt.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste All,

I sincerely hope that you do not find this posting rude or distressing in any way this is not my intention.

Man have an inate fear which stems from the fact that they can not be sure that they are the father of their children, if we look at Western civilisation, they can be proven to be correct in having this fear, as 1 in 3 children are not fathered by the man suggested by the mother, the man lead to believe that he is the father.

We must be careful not to forget the origins of these scripts as they were surly written in times differing from today; in the past differences in the nature of humanity will have been much more evident, with tribes resorting to cannibalism and human sacrifice; depending upon belief.

In more violet times; would not a male be expected to protect both his mate and children from harm?

It is worth noting that in times of overpopulation in Chimpanzees, the females increase the chance of survival of their own offspring by eating the children of other females. This is of no evolutionary benefit to the males who are never sure as to who are their children.

What are the result of stress in the family if the mother is witness to this violence? What of competitive and "evil" in a more civil society?

We can not, whilst examining these factors, negate recent discoveries in the field of genetics. These discoveries can reasonably be interpreted as suggesting that Females who are witness to a stressful environment, bring up children of a more neurotic nature. This highlight the very mechanics of what it means to be civil, and the risk of this mechanism leading to a spiral of aggressively, or psychological problems.

Magazine article.

Scientific paper.

It has also been shown recently; although I cannot find the paper right now, that Children who are breast fed longer (6 months as opposed to 3 months) actually fed at the mothers chest, not from a bottle; were much less prone to certain illnesses later in life. Sorry that I cannot be more specific at this time.

It would appear that there is much wisdom in the ancient ways, even if Men have misunderstood and abused their positions... Such is the nature of transcendental wisdom.

OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) is a whole other subject.

This is just food for thought, and this science and field of study relatively new, but I feel that it is of great relevance to the discussion at hand.

Balance is undoubtedly the solution. To my mind; we are not equal in our origins; we can strive to be equal in order to guide a civil course. It is most defiantly in our best interests that we learn to control these fears.

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 21 December 2011 at 01:59 AM.

Divine Kala,
    Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami (Gurudeva) often described ideals or archetypes. He was aware that many people are not living in an ideal situation, and for them the path is different. He writes:

Tradition adapts itself to culture and climate. The Hindu women raised in Western countries will not be able to follow all the traditions of the East. But they have to fulfill enough of those traditions to fulfill their stri dharma. And, of course, they will have to adjust slowly.
    I used to find those passages difficult. People might find this strange because my wife did not work for a long time, and now does part-time work at the school so she is at home when her daughter is at home. I used to think was this really what I would want for our daughter though.

Thinking about it as a whole package though I can see that it is the ideal. A couple getting married at a relatively young age, with no previous sexual experience. Complete devotion to each other, to God and the devas, growing together spiritually together and bringing the children up in a loving and spiritual environment. And yes, the woman being able to devote her energies to raising the children and making the home a spiritual home. The man being happy to work and support the family.

This does not describe my life, nor that of my older daughter and probably not that of my younger one. If it does I will be happy but I am making sure she is well educated and self reliant enough to take what role she chooses or finds herself in.

I should add that many Himalayan academy devotees don't follow that path, and are fully accepted. Everything has benefits of some kind, there is a female doctor who has written in "Hinduism today" about vegetarian nutrition.

Gurudeva also clearly breaks with tradition when he sees it is right, whereas many Hindus would try to force gay children to marry he sees that this is not the best course:

Sons and daughters who are gay may not benefit from marriage, and should be taught to remain loyal in relationships and be prepared to cope with community challenges.
    If you are worried that the Himalayan Academy would not accept a particular situation that you are in, I would strongly suggest that you contact the monks. I think that you will find that they will say that though it is not the ideal, the ideal is not the best for you in this life from where you are now.
    Aum

Thread Information