Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need refutation on this argument put forth by the hare krishnas:

Need refutation on this argument put forth by the hare krishnas:

I have been searching for it in Sankara Bhashya of Gita but could not find any:

http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/articles...212/Page1.html

Gita 2:12

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Argument:
    The Mayavadi theory that after liberation the individual soul, separated by the covering of maya, or illusion, will merge into the impersonal Brahman and lose its individual existence is not supported herein by Lord Krishna, the supreme authority. Nor is the theory that we only think of individuality in the conditioned state supported herein. Krishna clearly says herein that in the future also the individuality of the Lord and others, as it is confirmed in the Upanishads, will continue eternally. This statement of Krishna’s is authoritative because Krishna cannot be subject to illusion. If individuality were not a fact, then Krishna would not have stressed it so much—even for the future.

If individuality refers to the empirical universe, then there is no need of teaching by the Lord. The plurality of the individual soul and of the Lord is an eternal fact, and it is confirmed by the Vedas as above mentioned.
    -end-

Not surprising mayavada is their name for advaita.IMO,One tactic used by dualists is that they don't quote any verse which supports advaita (from upanishads).Any support against this argument is appreciated.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Re: Need refutation on this argument put forth by the hare krishnas:

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

The conversation ( as I see it ) is just not framed correctly. To suggest an individual soul , this is where the issue begins. It never was or is ~individual~.

Take a knot in a rope. Remove the knot. Where did it go ? Like that, remove this ignornace of there is '2' and where does it go ? Was it ever there in the 1st place ?

It is said (in kaśmir śaivism) This Supreme independent (svātantrya) state of God Consciousness (caitanya) is the form.
    But the form of what? Here is the wisdom offered and what I hope to add to this conversation. It is the 'form' of everything.
    This implies that solid ( body) or spiritual ( non-body) , material or non-material however subtle, has this form. It is the essence of everything, and this is the Supreme, Brahman. Where then is this individual soul ?

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 01 April 2012 at 11:59 AM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

Mayavada is indeed a pejorative term given to Advaita. Advaita is not accepted by Gaudiya Vaishnava, which ISKCON is. Gaudiya Vaishnava subscribes to Achintya BhedAbheda, "inconceivable one-ness and difference" or VishishtAdvaita, Advaita with qualifications.

Achintya BhedAbheda says we are one and the same as the Lord, yet different; the human mind cannot conceive of this. I am not Gaudiya, but I lean towards Achintya BhedAbheda. VishishtAdvaita posits diversity bound to an underlying unity, i.e. Brahman as represented by Supreme Goddess Lakshmi and Supreme God Narayana as One, rather than as Krishna, who is Vishnu/Narayana. Unless I miss my guess, the differences between Achintya BhedAbheda and VishishtAdvaita are subtle.

Taking the position that ISKCON subscribes to Achintya BhedAbheda, Srila Prabhupada, in my interpretation, is saying that Lord Krishna is hinting at Achintya BhedAbheda, tacitly rejecting Advaita. We've always existed as one and the same, yet different, and will always exist as one and the same, yet different. We just cannot grasp this with our human minds.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

The conversation ( as I see it ) is just not framed correctly. To suggest an individual soul , this is where the issue begins. It never was or is ~individual~.

Take a knot in a rope. Remove the knot. Where did it go ? Like that, remove this ignornace of there is '2' and where does it go ? Was it ever there in the 1st place ?

It is said (in kaśmir śaivism) This Supreme independent (svātantrya) state of God Consciousness (caitanya) is the form.
    But the form of what? Here is the wisdom offered and what I hope to add to this conversation. It is the 'form' of everything.
    This implies that solid ( body) or spiritual ( non-body) , material or non-material however subtle, has this form. It is the essence of everything, and this is the Supreme, Brahman. Where then is this indiviual soul ?

praām
    Hey dude...I get your advaita viewpoint.My ISKCON friend says that,if Lord Krishna and Arjuna are indeed same Brahman,why is he using plural tense?Further,Prabhupada goes on say that Lord Krishna does not refer to material bodies here since Krisna says they are eternal.

How would an advaitin resolve the plurality mentioned here?Does this verse refers to the Vyāvahārika level ?How do we get that he indeed refers to Vyāvahārika level .

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste.

Mayavada is indeed a pejorative term given to Advaita. Advaita is not accepted by Gaudiya Vaishnava, which ISKCON is. Gaudiya Vaishnava subscribes to Achintya BhedAbheda, "inconceivable one-ness and difference" or VishishtAdvaita, Advaita with qualifications.

Achintya BhedAbheda says we are one and the same as the Lord, yet different; the human mind cannot conceive of this. I am not Gaudiya, but I lean towards Achintya BhedAbheda. VishishtAdvaita posits diversity bound to an underlying unity, i.e. Brahman as represented by Supreme Goddess Lakshmi and Supreme God Narayana as One, rather than as Krishna, who is Vishnu/Narayana. Unless I miss my guess, the differences between Achintya BhedAbheda and VishishtAdvaita are subtle.

Taking the position that ISKCON subscribes to Achintya BhedAbheda, Srila Prabhupada, in my interpretation, is saying that Lord Krishna is hinting at Achintya BhedAbheda, tacitly rejecting Advaita. We've always existed as one and the same, yet different, and will always exist as one and the same, yet different. We just cannot grasp this with our human minds.
    Hi TouchedbytheLOrd nice to see you posting here!I do get the ISKCON interpretation.What I needed was how advaita interprets this verse.

Hello Newbee_b,

Welcome to the forum.

There is no refutation to be found for this particular argument given in the Shankara Bhashya because Shankara only refuted strong arguments, and this is not one of them. The argument is both circular in nature and it's also a strawman. I'll explain why.

A strawman is a fallacy whereby the the opponent's position is misrepresented and then attacked creating the impression in the unwary that the opponent has successfully been defeated. A circular argument is a fallacy where the conclusion one wishes to prove is already assumed to be true in the premise. Prabhupada's argument contains both fallacies and can be rejected on these grounds.

First, the strawman;

The Mayavadi theory that after liberation the individual soul, separated by the covering of maya, or illusion, will merge into the impersonal Brahman and lose its individual existence is not supported herein by Lord Krishna, the supreme authority.
    This is not a theory supported by 'Mayavadis' - it is a strawman theory invented by Prabhupada in order to give the impression that his doctrines are more correct. Look closely at this 'theory' and you will see how it is inherently inconsistent and counter to the actual Advaita position. Prabhupada says that the individual soul is separated by maayaa from Brahman, and that after liberation, the individual soul merges back into Brahman; but this is simply not true from the Advaita standpoint. The Self (soul) is not individual, and nor is it separate from Brahman, because it is Brahman. Further, only Brahman exists in the past, present and future; this is the Advaita view. Even liberation is unreal from the highest standpoint. You must remember that Advaita comes from the top-down perspective, that only Brahman exists; everything else, be they jivas, bondage, world, liberation etc only hold sway from the empirical standpoint of ignorance.

Fundamentally, the Self is Brahman; the Self is not an individual jiva- the condition of being a jiva is superimposed onto the Self through ignorance, but it never actually becomes an individual as Prabhupada mistakenly says; it never actually separates from Brahman (itself!). When the Upanishads speak of attainment of Brahman, they are taken figuratively as if a woman who forgets where her necklace is finds it even though it's always been around her neck. Prabhupada takes the individuality of the self as an a priori assumption, he thinks the Self is really individual, this is why he can never understand the Advaita view; the living being, the individual jiva, is not the true status of Atman, it is the Atman seen wrongly as a transmigrating, bound, suffering being from the standpoint of self-ignorance.

The Self is not born, it does not die, it does not suffer nor require liberation- and why?

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Because it is the immortal, fearless Brahman. Krishna is here revealing to Arjuna the true nature of his own Self. None of us will ever cease to be because the very essence of the embodied being is the immortal Atman, identical to the absolute. Now, keeping this in mind, look at what Prabhupada then says;

Krishna clearly says herein that in the future also the individuality of the Lord and others, as it is confirmed in the Upanishads, will continue eternally.

Based on the fact that Krishna is referring to Arjuna, the assembled men and himself collectively when referencing the immortality of the Self, Prabhupada concludes that the Self must therefore be eternally an individual. This is a circular argument. Prabhupada already assumes that the Self is an individual, therefore, if Krishna refers to multiple jivas he must be saying that the multiple souls are eternal, and that therefore Advaita is wrong. Prabhupada has missed the deeper import of this verse. Shankara explains that Krishna uses the collective personal pronoun figuratively because Brahman is the eternal Self of all beings, of all the embodied jivas, and not because there are many Atmas.

There is absolutely no incongruity between the given verse and the Advaita view if the Advaita view is a) correctly understood and b)one does not assume a priori one's own view is correct to begin with.

Look again at what Prabhupada here says;

If individuality were not a fact, then Krishna would not have stressed it so much—even for the future.
    The circular reasoning is as follows;

1) Individuality is a fact\true (assumption)
    2) If Individuality were not a fact, then Krishna would not mention it
    3) Krishna mentions Individuality in Gita 2:12
    4) Therefore Individuality is a fact

This is extremely poor reasoning. Prabhupada makes the error of not distinguishing between the embodied being and the Atman, therefore when Krishna says 'you' with reference to Arjuna or the others, he assumes straight away that the subject is individual. When Krishna says 'you' what is he really referring to? Advaita says he is referring to the Self as-it-is, the saakshin, Knower of the Field (kshetraj~na) free from the limited superimposition of ignorance which creates the impression of being an embodied, individual jiva. This Self is identical to Brahman (as in the mahavakya that thou art) and therefore the verse should be understood in a deeper sense. Krishna is gradually teaching Arjuna the real nature of the Self because Arjuna takes himself to be an embodied being. He firsts starts by teaching that the Self of everyone is immortal, as in this verse, later (chapter 13) he will go on to identify himself (Brahman) as Arjuna's own Self in 'Know Me as the Knower of the Field in all of the Fields'. The interpretation given by Prabhupada is shallow, and he resorts to strawman attacks in order to sure up his own perceived strengths.

Prabhupada does not question the individuality of the Atman, he strongly believes it, as do many, many people. The Self is one without a second, this is the Advaita view; and therefore we are under no obligation to refute Prabhupada's argument when he assumes a-priori the individuality of the Self. This assumption does not stand scrutiny in Advaita, so neither do any of his arguments require rebuttal. The dualist's (or qualified nondualist's) ideas cannot be addressed by Advaitins, because we admit no duality and their worldview only has relevance in avidyaa.

To sum up my thoughts, the verse given above from the Gita can be interpreted by both non-dualists and dualists according to their own philosophies, but the verse itself shows no bias for one or the other; despite Prabhupada's distorting strawman and circular reasoning uses to make it seem otherwise. As I have said, this particular argument requires no refutation because it is invalid to begin with.

Last edited by Ananda; 20 December 2011 at 07:04 PM.
    http://rajahamsah.blogspot.com/ Rāja Haṃsaḥ
    Unfolding the teachings of Advaita Vedānta- my Blog, Updated Daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananda View Post
    Hello Newbee_b,

Welcome to the forum.

There is no refutation to be found for this particular argument given in the Shankara Bhashya because Shankara only refuted strong arguments, and this is not one of them. The argument is both circular in nature and it's also a strawman. I'll explain why.

A strawman is a fallacy whereby the the opponent's position is misrepresented and then attacked creating the impression in the unwary that the opponent has successfully been defeated. A circular argument is a fallacy where the conclusion one wishes to prove is already assumed to be true in the premise. Prabhupada's argument contains both fallacies and can be rejected on these grounds.

First, the strawman;

This is not a theory supported by 'Mayavadis' - it is a strawman theory invented by Prabhupada in order to give the impression that his doctrines are more correct. Look closely at this 'theory' and you will see how it is inherently inconsistent and counter to the actual Advaita position. Prabhupada says that the individual soul is separated by maayaa from Brahman, and that after liberation, the individual soul merges back into Brahman; but this is simply not true from the Advaita standpoint. The Self (soul) is not individual, and nor is it separate from Brahman, because it is Brahman. Further, only Brahman exists in the past, present and future; this is the Advaita view. Even liberation is unreal from the highest standpoint. You must remember that Advaita comes from the top-down perspective, that only Brahman exists; everything else, be they jivas, bondage, world, liberation etc only hold sway from the empirical standpoint of ignorance.

Fundamentally, the Self is Brahman; the Self is not an individual jiva- the condition of being a jiva is superimposed onto the Self through ignorance, but it never actually becomes an individual as Prabhupada mistakenly says; it never actually separates from Brahman (itself!). When the Upanishads speak of attainment of Brahman, they are taken figuratively as if a woman who forgets where her necklace is finds it even though it's always been around her neck. Prabhupada takes the individuality of the self as an a priori assumption, he thinks the Self is really individual, this is why he can never understand the Advaita view; the living being, the individual jiva, is not the true status of Atman, it is the Atman seen wrongly as a transmigrating, bound, suffering being from the standpoint of self-ignorance.

The Self is not born, it does not die, it does not suffer nor require liberation- and why?

Because it is the immortal, fearless Brahman. Krishna is here revealing to Arjuna the true nature of his own Self. None of us will ever cease to be because the very essence of the embodied being is the immortal Atman, identical to the absolute. Now, keeping this in mind, look at what Prabhupada then says;

Based on the fact that Krishna is referring to Arjuna, the assembled men and himself collectively when referencing the immortality of the Self, Prabhupada concludes that the Self must therefore be eternally an individual. This is a circular argument. Prabhupada already assumes that the Self is an individual, therefore, if Krishna refers to multiple jivas he must be saying that the multiple souls are eternal, and that therefore Advaita is wrong. Prabhupada has missed the deeper import of this verse. Shankara explains that Krishna uses the collective personal pronoun figuratively because Brahman is the eternal Self of all beings, of all the embodied jivas, and not because there are many Atmas.

There is absolutely no incongruity between the given verse and the Advaita view if the Advaita view is a) correctly understood and b)one does not assume a priori one's own view is correct to begin with.

Look again at what Prabhupada here says;

The circular reasoning is as follows;

1) Individuality is a fact\true (assumption)
    2) If Individuality were not a fact, then Krishna would not mention it
    3) Krishna mentions Individuality in Gita 2:12
    4) Therefore Individuality is a fact

This is extremely poor reasoning. Prabhupada makes the error of not distinguishing between the embodied being and the Atman, therefore when Krishna says 'you' with reference to Arjuna or the others, he assumes straight away that the subject is individual. When Krishna says 'you' what is he really referring to? Advaita says he is referring to the Self as-it-is, the saakshin, Knower of the Field (kshetraj~na) free from the limited superimposition of ignorance which creates the impression of being an embodied, individual jiva. This Self is identical to Brahman (as in the mahavakya that thou art) and therefore the verse should be understood in a deeper sense. Krishna is gradually teaching Arjuna the real nature of the Self because Arjuna takes himself to be an embodied being. He firsts starts by teaching that the Self of everyone is immortal, as in this verse, later (chapter 13) he will go on to identify himself (Brahman) as Arjuna's own Self in 'Know Me as the Knower of the Field in all of the Fields'. The interpretation given by Prabhupada is shallow, and he resorts to strawman attacks in order to sure up his own perceived strengths.

Prabhupada does not question the individuality of the Atman, he strongly believes it, as do many, many people. The Self is one without a second, this is the Advaita view; and therefore we are under no obligation to refute Prabhupada's argument when he assumes a-priori the individuality of the Self. This assumption does not stand scrutiny in Advaita, so neither do any of his arguments require rebuttal. The dualist's (or qualified nondualist's) ideas cannot be addressed by Advaitins, because we admit no duality and their worldview only has relevance in avidyaa.

To sum up my thoughts, the verse given above from the Gita can be interpreted by both non-dualists and dualists according to their own philosophies, but the verse itself shows no bias for one or the other; despite Prabhupada's distorting strawman and circular reasoning uses to make it seem otherwise. As I have said, this particular argument requires no refutation because it is invalid to begin with.

Thanks for taking so much time to bring out your answer,quite convincing for me.You seem to be advaita acharya.

I really liked the part I have made bold!
    Cheers.
    Noobie

Quote Originally Posted by Newbee_b View Post
    I have been searching for it in Sankara Bhashya of Gita but could not find any:

http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/articles...212/Page1.html

Gita 2:12

Argument:
    The Mayavadi theory that after liberation the individual soul, separated by the covering of maya, or illusion, will merge into the impersonal Brahman and lose its individual existence is not supported herein by Lord Krishna, the supreme authority. Nor is the theory that we only think of individuality in the conditioned state supported herein. Krishna clearly says herein that in the future also the individuality of the Lord and others, as it is confirmed in the Upanishads, will continue eternally. This statement of Krishna’s is authoritative because Krishna cannot be subject to illusion. If individuality were not a fact, then Krishna would not have stressed it so much—even for the future.

If individuality refers to the empirical universe, then there is no need of teaching by the Lord. The plurality of the individual soul and of the Lord is an eternal fact, and it is confirmed by the Vedas as above mentioned.
    -end-

Not surprising mayavada is their name for advaita.IMO,One tactic used by dualists is that they don't quote any verse which supports advaita (from upanishads).Any support against this argument is appreciated.

Om Namah Shivaya!

How important is it?

Three guest are invited to a feast. The first is poor and hungry. He is truly grateful to be able to have a nutritious hot meal.

The second is a rich merchant. He is truly grateful to be able to taste fine foods cooked with the best ingredients by skilled cooks. He looks forward to trying some of the treats at home and looks for ideas he can use when he hosts his own feasts, when he will return the favour and delight in giving himself.

The third is a spiritually inclined man. He is grateful for the chance for the host to give, and for people coming together. He would have been just as happy if a poor man had provided a small simple meal.

It is clear that none of the three can say that the others are wrong for their reasons for being grateful for the feast, though all have different reasons. What is more, though we might see one reason as the best reason over all, for each person in their own situation isn't their reason the best one for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tāṇḍava View Post
    How important is it?

Three guest are invited to a feast. The first is poor and hungry. He is truly grateful to be able to have a nutritious hot meal.

The second is a rich merchant. He is truly grateful to be able to taste fine foods cooked with the best ingredients by skilled cooks. He looks forward to trying some of the treats at home and looks for ideas he can use when he hosts his own feasts, when he will return the favour and delight in giving himself.

The third is a spiritually inclined man. He is grateful for the chance for the host to give, and for people coming together. He would have been just as happy if a poor man had provided a small simple meal.

It is clear that none of the three can say that the others are wrong for their reasons for being grateful for the feast, though all have different reasons. What is more, though we might see one reason as the best reason over all, for each person in their own situation isn't their reason the best one for them?
    Yes as long as the person involved understands the other persons situation.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Newbee_b View Post
    Hey dude...I get your advaita viewpoint.My ISKCON friend says that,if Lord Krishna and Arjuna are indeed same Brahman,why is he using plural tense?Further,Prabhupada goes on say that Lord Krishna does not refer to material bodies here since Krisna says they are eternal.

How would an advaitin resolve the plurality mentioned here?

Duality here is used for teaching purposes... in ignorance there is 2 for teaching, no ? There must be a sender and receiver. One must reivew not only the bhāgavad gītā but the mahābhārata to appreciate the full level of instruction that goes on. We need to be aware that the bhāgavad gītā is 700 verses out of the ~ 100,000 verses in the mahābhārata.

Yet at the end of the day my sleep is not disturbed by this dichotomy of thinking because it is the wise that tell is that there is unity in diversity. One with clear vision sees 2 but knows there is 1.

Also , I hope you are a regular here on HDF. If so , please consider greeting the reader with a hello or some open salutation. This is our custom here and you will build friendships in this manner. Also , some posters may be older then the author and we greet them properly out of respect.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 21 December 2011 at 06:06 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information