Thread: Justifications for eternal hell

Justifications for eternal hell

You can find justification for why finite crimes [such as using God provided free will to believe in God other than YHWH, for instance] deserve infinite eternal punishments here.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTIANS SHOWING THEIR LOVE BY JUSTIFYING ETERNAL HELL
    How does it seem to comport with God's justice – to punish a sin committed in a moment – with eternal torment?
    1. Because there is an eternity of sin in man’s nature. They will continue to sin in hell. “Men gnawed their tongues in agony and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done” (Rev. 16:10-11).
    2. Because sin is “committed against an infinite majesty,” and therefore the sin itself is infinite, and proportionally the punishment must be infinite.
    3. Because a finite creature cannot satisfy infinite wrath, he must be eternally paying what he can never pay.

Thomas Watson
    The Ten Commandments.

How could He who is the Sum of all excellency look with equal satisfaction upon virtue and vice, wisdom and folly? How could He who is infinitely holy disregard sin and refuse to manifest His “severity” (Rom. 9:22) toward it? How could He, who delights only in that which is pure and lovely, not loathe and hate that which is impure and vile? The very nature of God makes Hell as real a necessity, as imperatively and eternally requisite, as Heaven is.

A.W. Pink
    The Attributes of God, Baker Book House, p. 83.

So that sin against God, being a violation of infinite obligations, must be a crime infinitely heinous, and so deserving infinite punishment… The eternity of the punishment of ungodly men renders it infinite…and therefore renders [it] no more that proportionable to the heinousness of what they are guilty of.

Jonathan Edwards
    The Justice of God in the Damnation of Sinners, The Works of Jonathan Edwards, v. 1, Banner of Truth, Used by Permission, 1974, p. 669.

Hell is God’s great compliment to the reality of human freedom and the dignity of human choice.

G.K. Chesterton

As with these compelling words from the lips of Christ, the concept of choice demands that we believe in hell. Without hell, there is no choice. And without choice, heaven would not be heaven; heaven would be hell. The righteous would inherit a counterfeit heaven, and the unrighteous would be incarcerated in heaven against their wills, which would be a torture worse than hell. Imagine spending a life-time voluntarily distanced from God only to find yourself involuntarily dragged into His presence for all eternity.

Hank Hanegraaff
    Resurrection, W Publishing Group, 2000, p. 79.

If there is such a thing as sin, there is such a thing as crime, a specific form of sin. And if we all agree that there is such a thing as crime, or sin, then it deserves punishment… [But] in the opinion of many, not only does crime not deserve punishment, but punishment is the crime.

John Gerstner
    The Problem of Pleasure, Soli Deo Gloria, 2002, p. 7, 6.

If we recognize degrees of heinousness between a crime against one human being and another, we can see that the difference between a crime against a human and against the divine Being as infinite, and requires an infinitely more severe punishment.

John Gerstner
    The Problem of Pleasure, Soli Deo Gloria, 2002, p. 14.

We are outlaws; we are violators of God's will; we are spurners of the light of nature and natural revelation which we do have. We are entitled to nothing but Hell. If God leaves us to that to which we are entitled, who will call Him unjust?

John H. Gerstner
    Theology for Everyman, Moody, 1965, Chapter 10.

The punishment must fit the crime. The misery and torment of hell point to the wickedness and seriousness of sin. Those who protest the biblical doctrine of hell as being excessive betray their inadequate comprehension of the sinfulness of sin. For sinners to be consigned to anything less than the horrors of eternal punishment would be a miscarriage of justice.

Tom Ascol
    The Horror of Hell, Tabletalk, October 2008, p. 55. Used by Permission of Ligonier Ministries.

How can God exact infinite punishment for a finite sin? First, because the person against whom all sin is committed is infinite. Crimes against the infinitely holy, infinitely kind, infinitely good, and infinitely supreme Ruler of the world deserve unending punishment. In addition to that, those condemned to hell will go on sinning for eternity. There is no repentance in hell. So the punishment will continue as long as the sinning does.

Tom Ascol
    The Horror of Hell, Tabletalk, October 2008, p. 55. Used by Permission of Ligonier Ministries.

Hell exists because unbelievers are eternally guilty. The powerful lesson to be learned is that no human being’s suffering can ever be a payment for sin. If our suffering could erase even the most insignificant sin, then those in hell would eventually be freed after their debt was paid. But all human goodness and suffering from the beginning of time, if added together, could not cancel so much as a single sin. Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow, all for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone. “Rock of Ages”

Erwin Lutzer
    Taken from One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer, Moody Publishers, 1997, p. 107.

What if, from God’s viewpoint, the greatness of sin is determined by the greatness of the One against whom it is committed? Then the guilt of sin is infinite because it is a violation of the character of an infinite Being. What if, in the nature of God, it is deemed that such infinite sins deserve an infinite penalty, a penalty which no one can ever repay?

Erwin Lutzer
    Taken from One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer, Moody Publishers, 1997, p. 108.

Jonathan Edwards said that the reason we find hell so offensive is because of our insensitivity to sin.

Erwin Lutzer
    Taken from One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer, Moody Publishers, 1997, p. 108.

Since God is a just Judge, we must love and laud His justice and thus rejoice in God even when He miserably destroys the wicked in body and soul; for in all this His high and inexpressible justice shines forth. And so even hell, no less than heaven, is full of God and the highest Good. For the justice of God is God Himself; and God is the highest Good. Therefore even as His mercy, so His justice or judgment must be loved, praised, and glorified above all things.

Martin Luther
    Cited in: Hell on Trial: The Case for Eternal Punishment by Eugene Peterson, P&R Publishers, 1995, p. 111-112.

You call Me master, and obey Me not;
    You call Me light, and see Me not;
    You call Me the way, and walk Me not;
    You call Me life, and live Me not;
    You call Me wise, and follow Me not;
    You call Me fair, and love Me not;
    You call Me rich, and ask Me not;
    You call Me eternal, and seek Me not.
    If I condemn thee, blame Me not.

Author Unknown

Re: Justifications for eternal hell

These seem to all be variants on the Christian idea that sin is infinitely heinous and thus worthy of infinite torment in hell. I guess they're taking a bit of a spin on Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, and equating time with morality. To be fair we do the same thing with the justice system (i.e. the bank robber gets more time than the guy who swiped a roti from the street vendor, but less than the murderer). But the Christians make no distinction between sins at all. As I've said before, this actually has the opposite effect than what they intend. If stealing a paperclip and cheating on your wife are worthy of the same eternal punishment, then you can understand why every other televangelist cheats on his wife. And to think Christians say that karma omits the grace of God.

Re: Justifications for eternal hell

Sin and eterna hell and more importantly SOMEONE had paid with HIS LIFE for Your Sins is a very successful survival technique used by evangelicals all along. Poor europeans, having been beaten to death, were made to accept this as the logical way to submit and live. The generations that followed have simmered in anger. And now having started to realize the underlying conspiracy, a rebellion is unleashed, the result of which will be felt in our lifetime Iam afraid. Unless more innovative ways are rewritten, which is a tad difficult as we all can imagine.

Thread Information