Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry... I don't know?

Merry... I don't know?

I feel the need to give everyone season's greetings but as a Hindu I most definitely do not ascribe to Christian theology so... I don't know...

Happy get and give presents day? That's the day it's always been for me - never about the birth of Christ but about family getting together and, in my case, blind drunk. I hope everyone has a very good holiday, whether you celebrate the secular, gift giving culture or not.

nitinsharma Guest

Re: Merry... I don't know?

Its also the winter solstice or something,right???So,celebrate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    I feel the need to give everyone season's greetings but as a Hindu I most definitely do not ascribe to Christian theology so... I don't know...
    Christmas for the most part is a secular holiday. In the US it's Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year regardless of religious beliefs. It's just the polite thing to do.

I don't go with the religious aspect of Christmas either, so I won't hold to that and say something religious. I never did as a Christian. Spending over half my life as a Christian (mainly Roman Catholic, as an Italian-American), we never leaned towards the religious aspect. I don't believe most people do either. There's a reason you see "Keep Christ in Christmas" bumperstickers.

I've wished Indians, Chinese, Japanese people Merry Christmas but I don't know if they celebrate or not. But why wouldn't they enjoy the festivities and the day off from work? One third of the employees of my company are Hindu and are getting Monday off as a paid holiday. I'm sure they're not complaining.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Merry KRISHmas! Of course!

People in this community think I have an odd speech impediment this time of year

For years, I had hoped to flee this place and rid myself of the american traditions. But, this year I did understand how precious my time here is, and this is the place of my duty. So I reclaim the holly days all the way.

My children get told the story of Beloved Beloved Krishna's birth tonight...as they do many nights.

If America wants to celebrate the birth of a Beloved Baby...then so will we!(a second time this year but He deserves every day)

Shiva is at the center of my table today, he will stay there forever.

The seasons change on our hill....and with each Shiva watches over our lil family.

Spring he had Azaleas and Valentine treats....Summer He had French Lilacs,Hydrangeas and wonderful ripe fruits....Autumn He has yellow and crimson Roses....and Halloween treats....Winter He has beautiful Poinsettias, Gingerbread and Sugar cookies!

It's kinda like when the xtian's say "God Bless" when you turn down a trip to their church. You just have to know in your heart that the very same Beloved Being is inside of everyone...and when they say that to me.... with all my heart I can reply. God Bless....Beloved...Beloved Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    It's kinda like when the xtian's say "God Bless" when you turn down a trip to their church. You just have to know in your heart that the very same Beloved Being is inside of everyone...and when they say that to me.... with all my heart I can reply. God Bless....Beloved...Beloved Everything.
    Exactly, no one has a monopoly, trademark or copyright on the words God or Lord. Even Pt. Ravi Shankar, a devout Hindu, at the Concert for Bangladesh said to the audience "God bless you". It seems Hindus forget R.V. 1.164.46.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Jehovahs wittness don't do christmas cause they say it's pagan. So my day is pretty much the same as every other day ^.^
    We had them christmas singers lastnight at the door. Funny how my mum hates that stuff when they feel the same when she comes to there doors
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Namaste Naya,

I like your approach. It must be very difficult surviving in the hills of K when you are the only practicing Hindu family, surrounded by the ardent baptists who celebrate C's birthday.

Hope you had a fun winter solstice and are looking forward to Makar Sankranti on the 14th of next month.

Pranam.

We were wed upon the solstice so this week has been very blissful...despite me contracting a cold from walmart.(UGH:P)

Oh yes! Pongal! (funny you mention this as I did tell my oldest sons as we lamented the length of this season that soon it would be Pongal and we all sighed very happily).

This is a very special time for our home as we clean the entire home of all this hollyday debris and start fresh with mantras. We open every window, wash them front and back in our meditation room...and light the whole place. Many years ago I had no idea about Pongal/ Bhogi and when I discovered this date upon the calendar I purchase each year from our Temple I was very happy to know it was just another time we had been doing it without knowing the name.

Hari Om

Namaste,

Thanks for the sentiments Divine Kala.
    Thanks to all on this thread and one other older one, who help those portions like me, during this time of year. With the blessings received by my beloved guide and from you, this is the best christmas season had for along time. If this makes sense, at the least what you all give is the feeling of not being boxed in and smothered during this time (no small gift ) and at best, the feeling of love and understanding. Bahut dhanyavaad.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Happy Holidays to everyone!
    satay

Thread Information