Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Gita study

My Gita study

I got my own Gita which is translated by Eknath Easwaran.
    Im on Chapt 13 right now so I'm almost half way through the book, so I like to do a quick review on what I think of the Gita so far.

This book is very special and truly written by inspired men, not only it's a spiritual guide for mankind but it contains something very importent which no other religions talks about. The fact that it doesn't matter who you worship or pray to, the true god will support you and make your faith steady. It gets more into the core of who god is and his ability.
    the part were Ajuna had a vision of Krishna's true self sounded like a monster with "fearful teeth, mouths burning like fires at the end of time" (11:5) Arjuna saw that Krishna's true form terrible (11:31) then later on Krishna turns into his gentle form.

Arjuna has seen god in his true form and Moses has only seen yahweh's backside >_> (had to write that down cause it's pretty funny when you think about it)

Ok so the main message is very simple and I can see why Many don't quote the Gita, it's very simple and doesn't need quoting.

Selfless acts without attachments
    All is equal
    Yoga
    Serve others
    Self control

I can now understand why many reject the teachings of Jesus cause it's pretty much in the Gita, why read another book which says the same thing right?
    (talking about good morals not the hole "do as I say" thing)

This book has explained things that I couldn't understand in other books like Eckhart Tolle with the "pain body" concept but when you understand the separated energies of Krishna, then the hole "pain body" makes more sence.

I can also understand more of what Alan watts talk about when he goes into higher self and lower self and that there is only the higher self and the lowr self isn't made, it's an illusion which you can just walk through it.

The Gita has deffnity open new doors for me and I wish this was a dominated belief systom. But then again to many people are attached to world power and dominating humans so =/

also the free will concept is perfect were as in abrahamic religion you got to join them if you don't wana suffer.
    In the Gita you can choose to ither stay and recarnate on earth to injoy worldly pleasures or follow the path and be in the spiritual world. That is free will

Oh! Just to finish the topic with awaomeness~

9:4 All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.
    10:22 In all beings I am consciousness
    Last edited by satay; 30 December 2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Re: My Gita review

Dear Moonlight,

Gita is only the diluted summary and even this one book brings in so much knowldge for all human - right from the aethist to the theist. No-science to beyond science. It has all in it.

As we move to discover more of its knowledge through Upanishads and others in the line, it will be astonishing not only from mere spiritual laymen but the connosieur of science.

It is for this reason, that all other cultures and religions have tried and perished in the way to provide an alternative to Sanatana Dharma - The Eternal Truth. SD stays even after 10s of 1000s of years.

Our best wishes in your journey of Knowledge.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Hi kallol ^^

My next book will be Upanishads and hopfully find a good verson of Ramayana. What else is there that I should get?  

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

It has been suggested that the bhāgavad gītā is very simple. I see this slightly differently; not opposed to simple, but with the notion of being fully robust.

The bhāgavad gītā can be viewed and is offered on 3 levels:
    • parā - the Supreme level some call anuttra , the highest , unsurpassable; we can consider it the trancendental or Absolute level ; parābrahman
    • parāpara - this is the Supreme co-mingled with its own energy - that which brings forth creation
    • aparā - some call this nara or the level of existence of man and creation
    We can see this 3 another way - the Fullest level of Divine Will ( icchā) , knowledge ( jñāna) and action (kriyā). It is kṛṣṇa-jī who speaks out (kāyati) the 3 (tri) energies or śakti-s (śa) of the Supreme (parā).

It is He that has Full knowledge (anuttarasūtra) and can speak of it from direct personal experience. It is arjuna as nara that is the receiver and the representative of all of us.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 December 2011 at 09:33 AM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Hi kallol ^^

My next book will be Upanishads and hopfully find a good verson of Ramayana. What else is there that I should get?
    Dear ML,

Unfortunately I have hardly read any books. Ofcourse last few years I have been hearing discourses through CDs, which not only helps me connect better (like guru - sishya) but also helps me fill the commutation time to office or other places. If you are interested look for Swami Paramarthananda in internet or facebook. I can send you details if you wantthe CDs.

I have ofcourse read & heard (from my grandmother) Ramayana, Mahabharata and other puranic stories. These actually provides the base psychology, which helps appreciate the deeper scriptures better.

In spiritual education terms these come first till, mind matures to this way of life and then move on to the core knowledge behind this. This helps analysing and assimilating the knowledge faster.

Enjoy the knowledge. Merry Christmass and Happy New Year

Is it just me, that I find the title of this thread is a little obscene? Now, I am not a person to get touchy and offended on religious grounds, but I still believe that a more respectable title could be used in context of the bhagvad gita which is one of the most respect scripture for hindus.

I'll not mind if someone finds 10 flaws with Gita, but it is a bit strange if you write a new "review" of Gita as if it is a Tom Clancy novel. It seems the poster means no offence, but just doesn't understand context. Also the content of the thread is bit naive, and while I don't want to discourage anyone, I still think that before starting to write a "review" of a 3000 year old religious classic, more humble study of innumerable commentaries, lot of reflection and asking questions on the scripture to clarify doubts or questions would be a better approach.

If one is very elated with the achievement of having read 13 chapters of a translated version of Gita, it is would be smarter to express that joy in a more contained manner, lest it looks foolish.

Sorry again, if I just hurt a few feelings - but I had to say what I had to say when I saw the post.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Lest it may create some confusion in the mind of ML, I would like to add to my earlier post.

Any scripture like Gita needs to be read again and again to derive the fullest knowledge embedded. It is for this reason that studying these scriptures under a Guru is more advisable. At least listen to the discourses of great Minds

To supplement this reading, it also advisable to study Upanishads (again advisable to do it under a Guru or listen discourses of great Minds).

As Yajvanji has mentioned, there are different layer of understanding of Gita. These can come with growing maturity of mind. Some start from scratch and some are blessed to derive the knowledge in a short time.

However these great minds (who can derive knowledge in short time) are few, so it is always advisable to go for a guided training, if one is interested in knowledge part of Hinduism.

Some of the thoughts are also shared by another great Mind Stephen Knapp

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/why_be_a_hindu_booklet.htm
    Last edited by kallol; 25 December 2011 at 11:14 PM.

I can now understand why many reject the teachings of Jesus cause it's pretty much in the Gita, why read another book which says the same thing right?
    Why express things in the negative? Do you come back from the store and say "I bought some Lemonade", or "I rejected coca cola" ... " and tea" ... " and orange juice"?

(the answer is this is an evangelical technique to frame everything with the mental presumption that Christianity is the only possible path)

Hello sm78.
    I'm sorry I offended you, I'll be careful in what words ill use in future post.

Hello kallol 
    Thanks for the link ^^
    I do understand what you and yajvan mean and I'm sorry for being a noob thinking it's simple and I masterd the book in a few days of buying it >_>;

Hello Tāṇḍava
    Yes your right lol I'm sorry. 

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Hello sm78.
    I'm sorry I offended you, I'll be careful in what words ill use in future post.

Hello kallol
    Thanks for the link ^^
    I do understand what you and yajvan mean and I'm sorry for being a noob thinking it's simple and I masterd the book in a few days of buying it >_>;

Hello Tāṇḍava
    Yes your right lol I'm sorry.
    First one must realize no harm has occured. The words that were picked just did not resonate with some, so no foul has occured ( far as I can tell).
    Just be easy about the whole thing. We are all learning, evolving.

Now that said, this bhāgavad gītā is quite profound. It is my humble opinion that mastery of this noble work can be seen on 3 levels ( as referred to in post 4 above) yet from a macroscopic view:
    • advaita - non dual
    • dvaita - dual
    • dvaitiāvatia - dual-non-dual

That is why this work is so meaningful and considered a most important śāstra.

The question now is, can the reader see the śloka-s which reflects these 3 views of reality? I will leave it to one's studies and reading.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 26 December 2011 at 01:47 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information