Thread: Recommended Books of A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada

Recommended Books of A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada

I have a soft-spot for the founder of the movement of Krishna Consciousness in Western society namely A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada. When it comes to Vaishnavite teachings or a texts I tend to ignore most texts translated or authored by different authors except for Prabhupada's because he seems more reliable and has demonstrated through his life of pure devotion and hard efforts that his works can be trusted. So I'm wondering what are the 5 most important texts translated or authored by Prabhupada that one should have and study in order to have a proper understanding of Vaishnavite/Krishnaite teachings ?

I already have his book titled 'Sri Isopanisad' and I'm hoping to get a copy of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' in January.

Thank you for your comments, responses, and recommendations !

With Much Metta (Loving-Kindness), Jnana 777

Re: Recommended Books of A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada

Your are saying 'When it comes to Vaishnavite teachings or a texts I tend to ignore most texts translated or authored by different authors except for Prabhupada's because he seems more reliable and has demonstrated through his life of pure devotion and hard efforts that his works can be trusted" Now my question is how prabhupada's writings seems reliable to you if you do not go through different texts on Vaishnavite teachings ?you should have a idea of Vaishnavite teachings beyond prabhapad's empire. if you are not biased and read the chaitanya charitamrita edited by other than gaudiya math/iskon ,you will realize how different prabhupada's vaishnab dharma . Remember chaitanya mahaprabhu is the incarnation of both sri krishna and radha ( two in one) in this kalijug as chaitanya charitamrita says. then why prabhupada worship separate idol of sri krishna radha and mahaprabhu. The most important is prabhupada teaches vaidhimarg bhakti whereas chaitanya mahaprabhu's concern is ragmarg bhakti. prabhupada writes rupanug many times but in practical he is far far away from sri rup goswami's rag marg bhakti rather prabhpada follows sri sanatan goswami's vaidhi marg bhakti. this is important because to practise vaidhi marg is not mahaprabhu's Vaishnavite teachings.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by uttam View Post
    Your are saying 'When it comes to Vaishnavite teachings or a texts I tend to ignore most texts translated or authored by different authors except for Prabhupada's because he seems more reliable and has demonstrated through his life of pure devotion and hard efforts that his works can be trusted" Now my question is how prabhupada's writings seems reliable to you if you do not go through different texts on Vaishnavite teachings ?you should have a idea of Vaishnavite teachings beyond prabhapad's empire. if you are not biased and read the chaitanya charitamrita edited by other than gaudiya math/iskon ,you will realize how different prabhupada's vaishnab dharma . Remember chaitanya mahaprabhu is the incarnation of both sri krishna and radha ( two in one) in this kalijug as chaitanya charitamrita says. then why prabhupada worship separate idol of sri krishna radha and mahaprabhu. The most important is prabhupada teaches vaidhimarg bhakti whereas chaitanya mahaprabhu's concern is ragmarg bhakti. prabhupada writes rupanug many times but in practical he is far far away from sri rup goswami's rag marg bhakti rather prabhpada follows sri sanatan goswami's vaidhi marg bhakti. this is important because to practise vaidhi marg is not mahaprabhu's Vaishnavite teachings.
    If someone new to Hinduism is taking baby steps to learn the philosophy, is there any need to talk down to him or challenge his/her preferences? In due course, they might venture out and read other translations, if they feel the need to, and ask more questions. For now, all that he is asking is suggestions for 5 texts by Prabhupad. Why not help people with what they want, rather than what you think they should be asking or reading?

Pranam.

May I suggest The Nectar of Devotion? I am not a follower of Prabhupad (I don't even like him, really) but it's a good book and I think it's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by jnana777 View Post
    I have a soft-spot for the founder of the movement of Krishna Consciousness in Western society namely A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada. When it comes to Vaishnavite teachings or a texts I tend to ignore most texts translated or authored by different authors except for Prabhupada's because he seems more reliable and has demonstrated through his life of pure devotion and hard efforts that his works can be trusted. So I'm wondering what are the 5 most important texts translated or authored by Prabhupada that one should have and study in order to have a proper understanding of Vaishnavite/Krishnaite teachings ?

I already have his book titled 'Sri Isopanisad' and I'm hoping to get a copy of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' in January.

Thank you for your comments, responses, and recommendations !

With Much Metta (Loving-Kindness), Jnana 777
    Sorry to hear you think Prabhupad is reliable when he actually manipulates the translation and spreads biased views and uses language to denigrate mainstream Hinduism and Sannyasis of other sects. I respect that he has his own bhakti ideals, but to make baseless arguments means he is not in my good books. Part of the reason why I did not associate with iskCON. The fact that you do not even want to consider other vaishnavite traditions shows that his rants have gotten to you and have already made you close-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

If someone new to Hinduism is taking baby steps to learn the philosophy, is there any need to talk down to him or challenge his/her preferences? In due course, they might venture out and read other translations, if they feel the need to, and ask more questions. For now, all that he is asking is suggestions for 5 texts by Prabhupad. Why not help people with what they want, rather than what you think they should be asking or reading?

Pranam.
    Based on what Jnani777 said, it doesn't seem likely that he will venture out. He is getting himself trapped in the rut of handing over his life entirely to someone else. That is not dharma. Anyway, I agree with Uttam - he has the right to speak his mind, as do you.

Jnana777 asked about 5 books.
    However the most important Prabhupada's book are six:
    -Bhagavad-gita
    -Srimad-Bhagavatam
    -Krsna book
    -Teachings of Lord Caitanya
    -Caitanya-caritamrta
    -Nectar of Devotion

Bharata varsha, Simhadri - The land of Lord Varaha Lakshmi Narsimha

Hare Krishna,
    Dear jnana777,
    Srila prabhupada's books are the best ever literature which alone enough to lead a happy krishna consious life irrespective of the material phenomenon around us. It is said that no one can spread the holy name of the lord without one gets empowered by the lord himself. His Divine Grace Srila prabhupada has transformed and still transforming the lives of the millions throughout the world by his guidance through his books.
    Your decesion to read his books is one of the major decesion that you have taken which was pending from millions of births.
    Just go ahead start up with any small book, like:
    Easy journey to other planets,
    Krishna consiousness a Matchless gift,
    Perfect questions and Perfect answers
    Science of Self Realization,
    Journey of Self Discovery, etc.

Hare Krishna....
    Parama Vijayate Shri Krishna Sankirtanam

Thread Information