Thread: What is the moral lesson of the Nrsimha story?

What is the moral lesson of the Nrsimha story?

Dear users,

I recently read the 7th canto of the Bhagavatam. Maybe it's the illustrations that confused me but I have trouble to draw the moral lesson out of it. What can we "learn" from it? That children best be raised without toys? That your father will stop loving you if you don't develop according to his wishes? That spiritual life mean trials and tribulations? That all worldly things are futile? Maybe you have different views but these are the questions that spontaneously came to my mind. Maybe you could explain the interpretation to me.

Re: What is the moral lesson of the Nrsimha story?

Namaste Cosinuskurve,

I'm not an expert, but this is a story I love and will try my hand at it.

* I think the most important moral to be learnt from this story is the omnipresence of God. It is to prove Bhakta Prahlada's words correct - that He is present in anything and everything, even a mundane pillar in Hiranyakashipu's hall, that Lord Vishnu emerges as Narasimha from within it.

* There is a time for everything, and nothing happens before or after that. Lord Vishnu could've slain Hiranyakashipu anytime he wanted, but he specifically waits until the asura draws his sword to kill Prahlada personally. It is at that point that he crosses the line of bad karma, and his demise homes in.

* It is our own karmas that make us who we are in the end, not our birth. Prahlada was born in a family of the vilest and most cruel asuras in existence, sworn enemies of dharma, but due to his brave and selfless devotion he is remembered as one of the greatest bhaktas ever. A beautiful lotus can bloom in the filthiest and muddiest of ponds.

* Nobody can sidestep the laws of the universe. When told that he could not be granted the boon of immortality, Hiranyakashipu asks for a complicated one which he feels amounts to the same, but there are enough loopholes in it for the Lord to slay him.

* I certainly don't think the story implies in any way that children should be raised without worldly comforts or anything. In fact, Lord Narasimha has to practically order Prahlada to enjoy material life, which he had been constantly refusing. But one should not get completely attached to these, remembering that they are but impermanent, and always take care to stay on the path of devotion, compassion and spiritual values.

* Regarding your second question ("that your father will stop loving you if you don't develop according to his wishes?"), I'm not sure why you felt that. I think the story only advises never to do something you truly know is adharmic, whether the person advising it is an enemy or a blood relative. Hiranyakashipu was so blinded by his arrogance and hatred that to him the world was divided into those who accepted him as a god, and those who didn't - there was no relationship, love or altruism within him anymore. Despite everything that he did to Prahlada, the latter never develops any negative feeling for him and his only request to Lord Narasimha after the asura's execution is to forgive his wicked deeds.

Hope that helped. Apologies if I missed or misinterpreted anything.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Unlike other hindus,we gaudiya-vaishnava strongly believe that the stories that are found in the puranas are not mythology but true history.

From my point of view,the 7th canto of the Bhagavata Purana simply tales what happened.

By the way we can learn that the Lord protects His devotes.
    It is interesting to note that although His fierce form,we vaishnavas have nothing to fear about Lord Nrsimhadev.

Now I will copy somithing by http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/sa...ip.htm#nrsimha

Srila Prabhupada introduced worship of Lord Nrsimhadev as part of our daily sadhana program, explaining that we should worship Lord Nrsimhadev because when one is a preacher, one is subjected to all sorts of dangers within this material world. Lord Nrsimhadev is the incarnation who protects the preachers in Krsna Consciousness from being harassed by demoniac forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Dear users,

I recently read the 7th canto of the Bhagavatam. Maybe it's the illustrations that confused me but I have trouble to draw the moral lesson out of it. What can we "learn" from it? That children best be raised without toys? That your father will stop loving you if you don't develop according to his wishes? That spiritual life mean trials and tribulations? That all worldly things are futile? Maybe you have different views but these are the questions that spontaneously came to my mind. Maybe you could explain the interpretation to me.
    Plaese note that Hiranyakashipu is the bad guy,so you should not try to find moral lessons in his deeds.
    You can find moral lessons in the good guy: Prahlada.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God View Post
    Unlike other hindus,we gaudiya-vaishnava strongly believe that the stories that are found in the puranas are not mythology but true history.
    This is not really limited to Gaudiya vaishnavas, many traditional Hindus belief that the itihasa and puranas are history.

Thread Information