Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlightenment?

Enlightenment?

Vannakam,

Over the last few weeks I have been practicing my own form of ablutions and rituals and I would like to know if any body has a functional definition of "Enlightenment" Cause I don't want to say I've attained it (I probably haven't)without a good definition.

Perhaps as a byproduct of recent illumination I have been feeling the energy of trees which is pleasurable but transitory. More apparent is realizing (to the extent that I can) God and feeling God's presence in absolutely everything. My inner peace has increased ten-fold and my desires are limited at the moment. I "see" god in everything now. But i'm fairly sure I haven't attained emancipation.

If anybody has these similar experiences please feel free to share. I am somewhat hesitant about this post because it may sound proud. I am aware that this vicissitude isn't forever(probably). But I am curious about the thing called "Enlightenment"

Namaste

Re: Enlightenment?

hello Eric ^^

Enlightenment in my view is having knowledge that you are not your thoughts and that you are consciousness. You are the farmer of the field. I've watched so many videos with people who think they are enlightend but they are full of ego x_X 

So Enlightenment to me is knowing we are all one and that there is no God but God ^.^

The budda wants everyone to be budda's!          
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

I have felt the things which you are experiencing...profoundly so.

However knowledge is just the tip of this iceberg...you have to become functional with that knowledge. Even when faced with extreme circumstance...the body does not override your Truth.

When I look at Beings which seem to have this state permenantly, the one singular thing I have noticed is that there is no pause in this knowledge. They simply are and do not concern themselves with what others may think of it...in fact I do not think they dwell upon this condition at all...it just is.

Sheer will, faith...absolute submersion into the Truth...makes it possible to jump over the side of convention and be who you are destined to become.

Faith in this Truth makes a Canadian Man of humble beginings put on a Veshti and roll around the temple. And this Blessed Being never even considers this state is that of enlightenment...he just dwells there...very happily...all the while helping us lower upon the ladder with a hand up.

It isn't just about rote knowledge of the Truth, it's about walking the talk and talking the walk. When this happen...everyone will tell you.

You won't have to ask<3

This...this is enlightenment.

Vannakkam: What is enlightenment? Usually Buddhists use this term more than Hindus. Then, here in the west, it's bandied about almost at the same rate as 'good person' is. So I personally think before there is discussion, there should be some sort of agreed upon definition. t least we should all be discussing the same thing.

Aum Namasivaya

I'm guessing that if you really are enlightened, you'll know it. As in, it'll hit you in the face, or at least so it should.

Enlightenment though is I think a very misunderstood idea and, is, yes, on a par with getting enlightened from eating a piece of cheesecake in a lot of places, or something.

Lol.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    Vannakam,

I "see" god in everything now. But i'm fairly sure I haven't attained emancipation.

But I am curious about the thing called "Enlightenment"
    You ask a reasonable question. Pending the 6 schools&#185; called saḍ darśana or the 6 schools of vision, seeing, sight of Indian thought
    this ~enlightenment~ is described differently. Same notion, just 6 different views.

Note too that this word ~enlightenment~ is relatively new on the scene to describe the experience. Some call mokṣa , others use the term kevala , or kevala-j&#241;āna ; others such as pata&#241;jali-ji ( author of his yogadarśana) calls out kaivalya from the yoga school ( or darśana ).

This word kaivalya helps us out a bit to understand an ~initial~ definition of understanding. It is not the final word and we can talk more but it really helps set the stage. This kaivalya is defined as isolation; another definition is absolute unity.

Let's spend a second on this. The notion of isolation is that the Self, ātman has become that ~isolated~ experience. Self here means ātman. It is the idea of Self-referral. That one possessed of the Self now is grounded in this Self, the core of one's being.

What is the experience ? It is that of Silence , of stability. There is this Silence in me and then there is all the activity that goes on outside of me. Me now means the real me, Self or ātman.
    This is where the conversation should start. Does one feel/experience that Silence ? is it there all the time ( 7x24) ? This is the first checkmark.

Now, also be aware that this experience grows. Over time this Silence and Self then expands outside one's own being and begins to permiate the enviroment. Not only do 'I' experience mySELF within, but there is the relationship that the environment/creation is also an extention of mySELF. More on this, lets not go too deep , but this is a beginning.

praṇām

words
    saḍ darśana or the 6 schools of vision, seeing, sight. We know them as :
    • śāṁkhya
    • yoga
    • vedānta
    • mīmāṃsā
    • nyāya
    • vaiśeṣika
    The 6 darśana-s दर्शन (seeing, looking, knowledge, traditional doctrine or precept , collection of such doctrines) are so complete in themselves, that many people took the 6 to be different views. This is not the case,it is the 6, when taken as whole give a 360&#186; view of Reality. Hence your question about the concept of God is relevent to these schools and resides in these schools.
    Last edited by yajvan; 05 January 2012 at 06:43 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Let's spend a second on this. The notion of isolation is that the Self, atman has become that ~isolated~ experience. Self here means ātman. It is the idea of Self-referral. That one possessed of the Self now is grounded in this Self, the core of one's being.

What does this mean ? It suggests we have ~seperated~ Self from non-Self. There is the silence, and then there is all that is activity. The one with this experience becomes more aligned, more centered or grounded in the silence part, then with the activity part. The silence feels like home; proper , well balanced, home.
    It is the subjective experience. This my teacher called Self-referral - as we refer to this as being our real nature or the real ~me~. All the other stuff ( actions, movement, the currents of change) is all Non-Self , not the silence found in me. This is the 1st and very profound first step in one's full unfoldment.

All the stars rejoice when one finds the comfort of one's own Self.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Sounds familiar, yajvan.

http://rajahamsah.blogspot.com/ Rāja Haṃsaḥ
    Unfolding the teachings of Advaita Vedānta- my Blog, Updated Daily.

I was praying this afternoon and as I moved around, I went to open my curtain to one of my bedroom windows... as the climate here has been very temperate lately.

There is a secret to this window, it's a test of sorts...

The Sari upon this window is draped over, doubled upon a round rod. In the center and directly under this rod is a large gold nail.

Countless children walk in my room to pull the curtain aside from the window and proclaim it unable to be done. Even the oldest child, now a young adult, will tell me the curtain is "stuck".

Yet, calmly, I move this curtain across the bar...and it moves completely to one side...no problem.

Just last night this happened with my most keen child. He is very good with fixing things and requested to remove this golden nail from the place it resides.

I tell him, no. But, this confuses him. He says..."You can not open the window the nail makes it get stuck in the middle."

and I say..."yes you can...it just takes gentle patience...not brute force".

The nail, a reminder...the lessons come from all sides...big and small...profound or silly...and all now.

Much of this realm is this very same way...even perhaps, enlightenment.

The more we try to rush it, the more we get stuck.

Forgive this mundane offering...but as I am the spiritual fool here...I do my best with what I am given.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post

The more we try to rush it, the more we get stuck.
    Vannakkam Naya: Yes, I believe in this ... strongly. At one time I was in a rush. It backfired. Like driving a car too fast, it goes off the road into the ditch.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information