Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we be Afraid of Death?

Should we be Afraid of Death?

Should we be afraid of death? Or the consequences of death?

I'm guessing the standard-issue response which a lot of New Agers will tell you is, no, no of course not! That is just another illusion. Ha! This fear of death! What is it good for? Will it let you take more risks in life? To heck with it!

My position of late has been... we do not know what will happen to us after we depart the body, and so it is not good to judge either that it will be bad OR good. We simply cannot know that.

My bet, however, is that a comforting belief is just that: a belief, i.e., a means of control and artificial safety. Who really knows what might happen? The outcome is not fully controllable. My best recourse is simply this: to trust in Krsna's Mercy with all my heart and pray for Knowledge both for myself and everyone else. That is all the control I can really lay claim to. Everything else is simply manipulating the elements for one's own egotistical gain. I really do not see any other real position to take.

On the other hand, there is always resignation and not caring, or even flat out despair. Not any of these do I however find satisfying.

So what are your guy's thoughts? Should we be afraid of death? What if in our next life we become an animal? Were I to broach this on any other forum (with all due respect) I am certain my question would be treated with derision. I myself have seriously entertained it, though. The possibilities are endless when immortality is truly factored in.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Re: Should we be Afraid of Death?

namaste,
    I have thought about this question a lot. I have seen many people scared of death so they try to stay 'young'. In this effort, I have seen some people, older people do really dumb things like the ones only a child could have done. I think to myself, wow this guy is really trying hard to stay young doesn't matter if he looks stupid in his old age. Aren't we supposed to atleast try to look wiser as we get older?

Personally, I am coming to peace with my own mortality. If there is birth death is going to be there for sure so why worry about it. On a philosopical level, death of what? If death of body, then body is dying by the minute or even by the second and I cannot control it anyway. Yet there is something in this body that remains the same throughout years 'witnessing', call it soul, atma, conciousness... That's my experience.

Then I look to Gita and it says,

na jayate mriyate va kadacin
    nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah
    ajo nityah sasvato 'yam purano
    na hanyate hanyamane sharire

Is this just a belief? Not for me. It is the Truth. Is it comforting, you bet it is.

On the other hand, if body dies and there is no soul or if the soul dies too then why worry or be afraid of death? at least that's what socrates says. So if you believe Krishna or socrates either way, I don't see any reason to be afraid of.

That said, I am afraid of being alive and living with a great disability or losing my mind or just being sick and not able to do anything and in general be dependent on others for my survival. That kind of 'life' I am really afraid of but no not scared of death.

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by satay; 05 January 2012 at 02:29 PM.
    satay

Vannakkam: I like to think I'm not afraid of death. But until someone tells me its time, and then I watch my own reaction, I don't really know.

My friend who was diagnosed with cancer at age 28 had this to say, "I was just so scared, I let the doctors do whatever they could." She was an intelligent together person and somewhat into alternative medicines. I don't know of her faith, if she had any at ll even. But certainly to me sha appeared quite unafraid.

So we'll see. Maybe I'll be able to answer it in a few years.

Aum namasivaya

Kismet, here's something that could inspire you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGeB95E4xM

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I like to think I'm not afraid of death. But until someone tells me its time, and then I watch my own reaction, I don't really know.

My friend who was diagnosed with cancer at age 28 had this to say, "I was just so scared, I let the doctors do whatever they could." She was an intelligent together person and somewhat into alternative medicines. I don't know of her faith, if she had any at ll even. But certainly to me sha appeared quite unafraid.

So we'll see. Maybe I'll be able to answer it in a few years.

Aum namasivaya
    I once had a very strong experience of feeling very bad in my heart, blood pressure peaks and I thought I was going to die, I just felt it. All I could do was to chant a Ganesha mantra and accept whatever came my way.

Being spiritually strong, sharp in your philosophical questionings, faithful to the core of your being, nothing can shake you.

Being afraid of death is being afraid of life.

Same thing for me PI, such an amazing feeling of Love overcame me.

You know, you always see in the movies...when folks are dying...they say things like "OH S#$t!"

So i wondered if that was just the common thought of those departing....like going down the big hill on a rollercoaster. You hear "Oh S#$%" a whole lot on such rides.

It turns out, I was more sad about leaving this job half finished...not afraid at all. I just kept praying to Beloved and telling those around me to Love each other...and that I so truly Love them. It kind of reminded me of going into labor...

At least now I know the last thing on my lips will be "Love" and not "oh ****", that was very reassuring.

I don't think there is anything to fear, after watching numerous folks depart, I have seen such joy in the moment.

Even if we are to be born an animal next life...we will not remember this transient existence and will be just fine.

Bring it on.

Vannakkam PI, and Naya: Unlike each of you, I have never been in a situation where I felt Yama was approaching in any real way. So I'm just guessing. I hope I react calmly, but maybe at that time all by faith will go crashing down, replaced by doubts.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

Let we do the sadhana and Guru instruction properly,
    We must have inner realization
    So, from the experience of inner realization,
    Bhagavan will guide us to know about death.

If we only play in the cashing (hurt others , or use entire life to think how to destroy other religion etc)
    Without inner realization, If the condition is changed, whatever we say about our religion, perhaps we will leave our religion.

Then what can destroy our confidence if we have strong and solid inner realization (realization , not only a believe) ?

What ever your sect now, just do it, practice properly, build your inner.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

dying ? Oh, that's easy. I did it a thousand times.
    It's living life that is hard.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

dying ? Oh, that's easy. I did it a thousand times.
    It's living life that is hard.

praṇām
    Just a bad habit huh? I think that's what Vivekananda said about it, anyway.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Death is a part of life, so if we haven't come to grips with it means we haven't yet come to grips with our life.

Belief is a means to live life without understanding. It is one way to deal with life, to come to grips with life and death. And quite successful method at that. Whatever you believe about death, is perhaves not going to change deaths reality - but it may let you live your life more easily and happily.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Thread Information